Multiple Websites on Windows 2003 Server using Visual Studio.Net 2003

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Kieran Kelly, Sep 27, 2003.

  1. Kieran Kelly

    Kieran Kelly Guest

    Is it possible to create a new Web Application Project using Visual
    Studio.Net 2003 on Windows 2003 Server but no in the Default Web Site.

    1. I have created a new Web Site in IIS called WebSite2 and setting WebSite2
    as the host header name.
    2. I can browse to this web site using IE http://WebSite2 buy placing a an
    entry in my host file, 127.0.0.1 WebSite2.
    3. I want to Create a new ASP.NET Web Application using Visual Studio.Net
    2003 at this Location http://WebSite2/WebApplication1.

    Is this possible because i cannot get this to work.
    I get an error:

    Unable to create Web project WebApplication1. The UNC path
    \\WebSite2\wwwroot$\WebApplication1 does not exist or you do not have
    access.

    I know that the Default Web Site has a share called wwwroot$ that Visual
    Studio.Net 2003, does this mean that as this share can only be defined once
    that you can not do what i am trying to do.

    Any help will be much appreciated
    Kieran Kelly, Sep 27, 2003

  2. Kieran Kelly

    Shaji Guest

    Share the folder "Webapplication1" and then try to create the project.

    Shaji.
    www.DotNetMe.com

    Shaji, Sep 28, 2003

  3. Kieran Kelly

    Kieran Kelly Guest

    Still the same problem.

    Kieran Kelly, Sep 29, 2003
  4. Kieran Kelly

    Shaji Guest

    By default visual studio will attempt to create the virtual folder under
    "default web site", wich is usally pointed to "inetpub\wwwroot". This is
    what is happening in your case also. But I usally do a work around to
    create the web project in seperate location other than wwwroot, which is
    like this..

    First create a folder "WebApplication1" in a convinient location and
    configure it as a virtual folder in IIS( under default web site OR under a
    diifferent website), share this folder and then try to create the project
    from visual studio.

    Regards,

    Shaji, Sep 29, 2003