.net 1.1 form submission

Param R.

Hi all, we have a few apps running on server 2003 with .net 1.1 sp1. Simple
web forms with db backend. Websites run over SSL with client certs. Clients
are Windows XP SP2 with all updates and IE. On a frequent basis when the
client submits a form he gets a blank screen. When this happens he has to go
purge his internet cache and then everything seems to work again. This is
frustrating and never happened on .net 1.0 running on win2k server. Please
help! What could be wrong? Clients are going through ISA firewall to get to
the IIS server.

thanks!

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

At one place where I worked the proxy or caching system was extremely
aggressive. Old versions of pages were often "stuck" in the system. It may
be that one person was browsing a page and hit the browser's Stop button.
From then on, others are getting partial pages. Is it possible to see what
the content of the problem pages is?

Anyway, you'll want to put statements in your pages to deter any kind of
caching that might be causing people to get old or bad pages.

Ken

Param R.

OK I just confirmed that this happening for other users too who are not
running through a Proxy. Either way IIS has http expiration enabled for
"immediately". This is becoming frustrating. Any ideas what could be causing
this problem? They just get a blank page and IE says done...

thanks!

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hmmm.. take a look at the HTML they are getting into IE (View > Source). Is
it partially there? Is it well-formed? Is it possible that the browser won't
render some portion because it is delayed from another site? Is there a
script error? Have the problem browsers set IE to report every script error.

Does it work if the user clicks Refresh in the browser after getting the
blank page?

Just tossing out some ideas here in case something triggers...

Ken

Param R.

I dont get any script errors. I have script debugging turned on in IE. When
I do a view source I get a blank document with html &head tags. I will
copy-paste it when it happens next. When the user clicks refresh nothing
happens. Same blank page.

I dont know what could possibly delay it. There is no other site. All pages
are on this site.

David Wang [Msft]

This sounds like the WinInet bug in latest versions of IE. Fails under SSL
Forms submission. There was a QFE out for it, though I cannot recall the
KB# right now.

Either way IIS has http expiration enabled for "immediately".

HTTP Expiration is given by the server for the client to obey as a hint.
Whether the client listens, that has nothing to do with IIS...

--
//David
IIS
I dont get any script errors. I have script debugging turned on in IE. When
I do a view source I get a blank document with html &head tags. I will
copy-paste it when it happens next. When the user clicks refresh nothing
happens. Same blank page.

I dont know what could possibly delay it. There is no other site. All pages
are on this site.

Param R.

Do you know when it will be released as a patch on windowsupdate.com? Yes
all pages run under SSL. Although all clients are Windows XP SP2 clients.
Does it affect them too?

thanks!

Param R.

OK, here is a view source:-

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;
charset=windows-1252"></HEAD>
<BODY></BODY></HTML>

David Wang [Msft]

It is already released. I believe it was on WindowsUpdate as well.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=831167

--
//David
IIS
Do you know when it will be released as a patch on windowsupdate.com? Yes
all pages run under SSL. Although all clients are Windows XP SP2 clients.
Does it affect them too?

thanks!

Param R.

The KB article has no mention of Windows XP SP2? I checked the dll version
on my computer and it is a later version than the one mentioned in the
article.

thanks!