Newbees: It's Quiz Time

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Davmagic .Com, Oct 15, 2003.

  1. Davmagic .Com, Oct 15, 2003

  2. >From:
    >(David Dorward)
    >If you are only allowed to check one box
    >per question... why don't you use
    >radio buttons?

    I give them that "suggestion" (to check only one box) but I allow them
    the freedom to check more (as many do)... just to see what results are
    submitted... don't forget it IS infact MY quiz, and I run it the way I
    choose to...

    As for the rest of your comments, David... they smell of much prejudice,
    and of much additude...

    Web Design-Magic-Painting-Junking-Games
    INFO 2000 For You
    http://www.davmagic.com
    See how your webpages look on a MSN-TV Browser:
    Download it here: http://developer.msntv.com/Tools/msntvvwr.asp
    Davmagic .Com, Oct 15, 2003

  3. In article <>,
    says...
    > Try this little HTML-Web Design Quiz...
    >
    > http://davmagic.com/PAGES13.html

    It's "deprecated" not "depreciated".

    Question 4 is absurd, as is question 10.

    The quiz submission is stupid - using FormMail.pl for God's sake.

    Any newbie using that deserves all they get. Then again, WebTV ...

    Using JavaScript top handle drop-down menus (<select>) is stupid - what
    happens when JS is disabled? Fancy telling people NOT to underline
    links - duh!

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/
    Hywel Jenkins, Oct 15, 2003

  4. >From:
    >(Hywel Jenkins)
    >It's "deprecated" not "depreciated".

    Oh really? Is this indicative of the accuracy of the rest of your
    comments?

    >Question 4 is absurd, as is question 10.

    Absurd is a personal judgement, not a statement of realism... for
    Newbees, these questions are helpful...

    >The quiz submission is stupid - using
    >FormMail.pl for God's sake.

    Not if I want to check the responses in my email along with the
    environmentals... it "works for me"

    >Any newbie using that deserves all they
    >get. Then again, WebTV ...

    Ah... perhaps you should come off your attitude and take a look at your
    own crap...

    >Using JavaScript top handle drop-down
    >menus (<select>) is stupid - what happens
    >when JS is disabled?

    Did you notice the regular left side link duplicate menu on that page?
    How short-sighted of you...

    Fancy telling people
    >NOT to underline links - duh!

    Underlined links are for Newbee builders... like you!

    Davmagic .Com, Oct 15, 2003
  5. Davmagic .Com wrote:

    > Try this little HTML-Web Design Quiz...
    >
    > http://davmagic.com/PAGES13.html

    If you are only allowed to check one box per question... why don't you use
    radio buttons?

    Oh, of course, its Mr. 'lets write bad code becuase one browser used by 3
    people in the world sucks and can't be protected from CSS'.

    Anyway...

    1. None of the above
    5. None of the above
    6. None of the above
    7. None of the above
    8. None of the above
    10. None of the above... or at least a matter of debate... including just
    what "WRONG" means in this context.

    Congratulations! 60% of your multiple choice questions don't have a correct
    answer as one of the choices!

    --
    David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/
    David Dorward, Oct 15, 2003
  6. Davmagic .Com

    Paul Goodwin Guest

    "Davmagic .Com" <> wrote in message

    >From:
    >(Hywel Jenkins)

    >Using JavaScript top handle drop-down
    >menus (<select>) is stupid - what happens
    >when JS is disabled?

    >Did you notice the regular left side link duplicate menu on that page?

    Do you mean under "Web Design"? Is that what those are, links? I can't
    really tell, the font is too small to be readable & I'm tired of smudging
    the monitor with my nose.

    >How short-sighted of you...

    One kinda *has* to be to read that ;-)

    --

    Paul
    Paul Goodwin, Oct 15, 2003
  7. Davmagic .Com wrote:

    >>Using JavaScript top handle drop-down
    >>menus (<select>) is stupid - what happens
    >>when JS is disabled?

    > Did you notice the regular left side link duplicate menu on that page?

    Did you notice the non-functional <select> still left in the page when
    JavaScript isn't available? How are users supposed to know it isn't going
    to do anything?

    >> Fancy telling people NOT to underline links - duh!

    > Underlined links are for Newbee builders... like you!

    Underlined links for site visitors who like to be able to recognise links.

    --
    David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/
    David Dorward, Oct 15, 2003
  8. Davmagic .Com wrote:

    > I give them that "suggestion" (to check only one box)

    You have a funny way of phrasing suggestions.

    > As for the rest of your comments, David... they smell of much prejudice,

    You do bring out the worst in me, but I can back up my complaints.

    1. None of the above

    You probably think the correct answer is A, and it would be if you didn't
    have the "for good page design" in it. HTML is a structural language, not a
    design language, so nothing in HTML should be done for design reasons.

    5. None of the above

    You probably think the answer is C... but alt is short for Alternative, not
    Description.

    6. None of the above

    You probably think that the answer is B, but B is just another EFFECT, not
    the cause. You shouldn't use the <font> tag because its presentational, and
    HTML isn't about presentation.

    7. None of the above

    You failed to specify a language. Even the <hr> tag has a closing tag in
    XHTML 1.0 and 1.1.

    8. None of the above

    Any table with only one cell isn't holding tabular data, so the code is not
    a correct description of the data being marked up.

    10. None of the above... or at least a matter of debate... including just
    what "WRONG" means in this context.

    A is good advice.
    Titles are required for all HTML documents.
    C is good advice.
    D is debatable. Some people consider it a good way to protect oneself from
    spam. I don't agree with that idea, but using a form isn't going to
    introduce much in the way of a barrier to users (in fact it removes a
    barrier for users without an email client). Personally I suggest using
    both.

    > and of much additude...

    Well... I did take Maths to A-Level...

    --
    David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/
    David Dorward, Oct 15, 2003

  9. >From:

    >(Paul Goodwin)
    >Do you mean under "Web Design"? Is that
    >what those are, links? I can't really tell,
    >the font is too small to be readable & I'm
    >tired of smudging the monitor with my
    >nose.

    Oh, did you know that you can actually INCREASE your browser text
    size???

    Web Design, Magic, Painting, Junking, More
    Info 2000 For You
    http://www.davmagic.com
    Davmagic .Com, Oct 15, 2003

  10. >From:
    >(David Dorward)
    >Did you notice the non-functional <select>
    >still left in the page when JavaScript isn't
    >available? How are users supposed to
    >know it isn't going to do anything?

    Hey, if they mess with their active scripting settings, they should be
    prepared for whatever results... that's why the "smart" users (90+%)
    leave JS alone and usable... you can't "have your cake and eat it
    too"...

    Davmagic .Com, Oct 15, 2003
  11. Hywel Jenkins, Oct 15, 2003
  12. In article <>,
    says...

    > >From:
    > >(David=A0Dorward)
    > >If you are only allowed to check one box
    > >per question... why don't you use
    > >radio buttons?

    > I give them that "suggestion" (to check only one box) but I allow them
    > the freedom to check more (as many do)... just to see what results are
    > submitted... don't forget it IS infact MY quiz, and I run it the way I
    > choose to...

    You advertised it to newbies, though. They need better help than the
    crap you're offering.

    > As for the rest of your comments, David... they smell of much prejudice,
    > and of much additude...

    "Additude"?

    Hywel Jenkins, Oct 15, 2003
  13. Davmagic .Com wrote:
    >> From:
    >> (David Dorward)
    >> Did you notice the non-functional <select>
    >> still left in the page when JavaScript isn't
    >> available? How are users supposed to
    >> know it isn't going to do anything?

    > Hey, if they mess with their active scripting settings, they should be
    > prepared for whatever results...

    oh they are - fingers poised (in anticipation) over the back button.

    > that's why the "smart" users (90+%)
    > leave JS alone and usable...

    I do believe you're trolling - cute.

    HAND HTH
    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com
    William Tasso, Oct 15, 2003
  14. Davmagic .Com pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:

    > >(Paul Goodwin)
    > >Do you mean under "Web Design"? Is that
    > >what those are, links? I can't really tell,
    > >the font is too small to be readable & I'm
    > >tired of smudging the monitor with my
    > >nose.

    > Oh, did you know that you can actually INCREASE your browser text
    > size???

    Oh yes, of course I know I can INCREASE my browser text so I can read
    those links on the left. But then I have to back off across the street to
    read the rest of it.

    What a silly page.

    ( http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=newbee&db=* )
    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 15, 2003
  15. Davmagic .Com wrote:

    > Hey, if they mess with their active scripting settings,

    Oh! Microsoftisms.

    What if they don't? What if its company policy to have JavaScript disabled?
    Its not /that/ uncommon a policy. Most of the security problems with MSIE
    have been vulnerabilities in the scripting engine.

    > that's why the "smart" users (90+%)

    Troll

    > leave JS alone and usable... you can't "have your cake and eat it
    > too"...

    You can. Just remember that your site isn't cake. More like deep fat fried
    Brussel sprouts.

    --
    David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/
    David Dorward, Oct 15, 2003
  16. Davmagic .Com <> wrote:
    > Oh, did you know that you can actually INCREASE your browser text
    > size???

    And did you know that you can design pages which don't require the user to
    change his own settings (including those with JS) just to be comfortable?
    --
    Michael Wilcox
    mjwilco at yahoo dot com
    Michael Wilcox, Oct 15, 2003
  17. Davmagic .Com

    Paul Goodwin Guest

    "Davmagic .Com" <> wrote in message

    >(Paul Goodwin)
    >Do you mean under "Web Design"? Is that
    >what those are, links? I can't really tell,
    >the font is too small to be readable & I'm
    >tired of smudging the monitor with my
    >nose.

    >Oh, did you know that you can actually INCREASE your browser text
    >size???

    Yes I do, but I'd rather hit the back button on user-unfriendly, amateurish
    "help" sites. Much easier & far less painful.

    if you really want to help "Newbees", you'll take your site offline & remove
    all the superfluous & pointless junk that's cluttering it up-- the
    download-slowing Dynamic Drive-ish page-wipe stuff that *screams* 1997, the
    pointless Swish banners (I recognize their standard array of over-used text
    effects from a mile away), dump the all-centered text on some pages, and
    make links LINKS-- you have pages of partial blue text with links (not
    underlined) only marginally lighter blue in color. Fix the rookie typos,
    e.g. "HTML VALADATOR" that's in huge font, and finally remove your $20 per
    page "site critique" service until you can bring your *own* site up to the
    standard required to show your viewers that you know what you're talking
    about enough to merit a $20 per page fee.
    I know you're trying to help people, and that's always a commendable thing,
    but at the moment I'm afraid your site is more likely to end up on peoples
    "examples of bad design" lists than "useful help site" lists.

    --

    Paul
    Paul Goodwin, Oct 15, 2003
  18. Davmagic .Com

    Isofarro Guest

    Isofarro, Oct 15, 2003
  19. Davmagic .Com

    Disco Guest

    Davmagic .Com wrote:
    > Try this little HTML-Web Design Quiz...

    I looked, and found this quite interesting....

    In your question #6 (which, by the way, you have not given a correct answer
    to), you ask...
    "*Why is specifying FONT properties with the FONT tag considered poor
    design?*"...

    and then in your 'Tricks 1' page, you give the suggestion of...
    "*A simple way to change the color of your link text is to insert the FONT
    tag within the Anchor Tag*"

    They way I see it, is that your viewers will look at these types of
    inconsistencies in your site, and probably move on to a more reliable,
    consistant, and even 'correct' web tutorial site.

    Most of the poeple in this NG are so far up themselves, that they need a
    vacuum cleaner to suck themselves out of their own ar5holes, and the way
    they tell-it-as-it-is often seems pretty harsh, *but*, they do make very
    good sence, and I recommend that you do not try do defend your site, as it
    only bring on more criticism. (unless that is what you are after).
    Disco, Oct 16, 2003
  20. Davmagic .Com

    Steve Pugh Guest

    (Davmagic .Com) wrote:

    >Try this little HTML-Web Design Quiz...
    >
    >http://davmagic.com/PAGES13.html

    I've seen your quiz before but refrained from commenting on it, but as
    you're advertising it...

    Q1. No correct answer provided.

    Q3. depreciated is not a technical word with any formal meaning in
    HTML 4.0, so there is no correct answer. Did you mean deprecated?

    Q4. They are all bad choices. B is the least worst as at least the
    subject of the page is in the link, but the text before the link is
    bad.

    Q5. C is correct syntax, which is what the question is asking, but is
    still wrong as most alt texts should not be descriptions of the image.

    Q6. None of the are correct. The reasons against using font tags
    pre-date their deprecation (if that's what you meant in B). But you
    list none of those reasons, nor do you list the any of the reasons
    that can be given now that CSS provides a superior alternative.

    Q7. Not enough information given. In very early versions of HTML there
    was no closing tag for <p> and in XHTML all elements require closing
    tags. So impossible to answer as is.

    Q9. Well, A is ussually false, but sometimes can be true. B is only
    true so long as you don't take into account the nesting of the inline
    elements. C is sometimes true, it depends on the element. D is
    sometimes true it depends on the element. So all four answers can be
    true in some circumstances.

    Q10. A, C and D can all be wrong depending on context.

    So that leaves two out of the ten questions where a simple correct
    choice is possible. 2/10. Could do better. Come back when you've
    written your next quiz and we'll see if you've improved.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Oct 16, 2003