OT: Web Host / multi domains

Ron

Hi all,

Been a while since I've visited. Have a question of course but wanted
to tell everyone that:
You helped me get hundreds of comments over the years about how easy
my site is to read and navigate.
and how much simpler is it to write php and integrate a mysql db when
you understand the basics.
Also reached a #3 ranking for a very common title / name combo on a
low volume site!
so,

a big woohoo for alt.html !!!

OK, so now i need help from those I trust:
I've been using affordablehost for a few years now. Have multiple
domains and have gotten used to cpanel and WHM. I don't want to start
any bashing but I've reached my limit of confidence. To any past or
present AH employees that were around before the buyout thank you.
Nothing but top rate and reliable service.

So I need a recommendation for my sites. Volume is low but need PHP,
mysql and a reasonable interface with a preference for cpanel (all I
know) web host manager for the same reason, and phpmyadmin would be
awesome. Looking for reliability more than price.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Ron quothed:
[...]

A recommendation could be more appropriate with a better understanding
of the cause of your dissatisfaction.
So I need a recommendation for my sites. Volume is low but need PHP,
mysql and a reasonable interface with a preference for cpanel (all I
know) web host manager for the same reason, and phpmyadmin would be
awesome. Looking for reliability more than price.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So, reliability. I've had very reliable service from Yahoo, the
business package. 4 gigs storage, 10 or 20 gigs transfer, php and ftp,
etc., $19.95/mo. Prices have been going down in the last few months,
though, so you may want to look around.

Tina - AxisHOST, Inc.

Ron said:
[...]

Thanks for the kind words. :)

Site5.com gets pretty good marks from the regulars at webhostingtalk.com.
I've been referring affordablehost refugees there for several months and I
haven't heard any complaints yet.

--Tina

Tina - AxisHOST, Inc.

Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, Ron quothed:

A recommendation could be more appropriate with a better understanding
of the cause of your dissatisfaction.

Go over to webhostingtalk.com and do a search for affordablehost.com - I
imagine his dissatisfaction is pretty much the same as most of those people.

--Tina

Ron

priate with a better understanding

Go over to webhostingtalk.com and do a search for affordablehost.com - I
imagine his dissatisfaction is pretty much the same as most of those people.

--Tina
Tina!

Hope all is well. Still in the biz?
Yes, I did a bit of surfing and was pretty shocked. The last few days
has been pretty bad. power outages. Hard drive failures. Two days
down. :(

Is axisHost your new venture?

Basically looking for what I had at AH. I know someone here would
know.

Thanks,
Ron

Tina - AxisHOST, Inc.

Ron said:
Tina!

Hope all is well. Still in the biz?
Yes, I did a bit of surfing and was pretty shocked. The last few days
has been pretty bad. power outages. Hard drive failures. Two days
down. :(

Wow. Would you mind emailing me any information they've sent you to
(e-mail address removed) ? I'm curious to see what's going on with my baby. :-(

Is axisHost your new venture?

Actually, I've had axishost.com for quite awhile. I've decided to focus on
resellers, higher-needs hosting and managed servers - rather than budget
hosting so much, in order to be able to provide the kind of quality service
that I want to offer. Its hard to be the best when customers pay $2 a
month and it costs $10 an hour for decent support staff.

I do miss running affordablehost though...terribly.

--Tina

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Tina - AxisHOST, Inc. quothed:
Actually, I've had axishost.com for quite awhile. I've decided to focus on
resellers, higher-needs hosting and managed servers - rather than budget
hosting so much, in order to be able to provide the kind of quality service
that I want to offer. Its hard to be the best when customers pay $2 a
month and it costs $10 an hour for decent support staff.

I do miss running affordablehost though...terribly.

Why don't you start a new, high-end, cream-of-the-crop small-user
service? Charge whatever and call it "unaffordablehost.com". I'll bet
you the bottom of my britches that you'd get more than a few clients.

Ed Jay

Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, Tina - AxisHOST, Inc. quothed:

Why don't you start a new, high-end, cream-of-the-crop small-user
service? Charge whatever and call it "unaffordablehost.com". I'll bet
you the bottom of my britches that you'd get more than a few clients.

You're absolutely right. I once owned a company that produced the highest
priced widget in its market. Three-times the cost of others and it wasn't
much better than the best of the rest. I advertised using the line, "When
other widgets are a dime a dozen, ours costs an arm and a leg!" We
couldn't keep up with demand. :)

Ed Jay (remove M to respond)

Mickey~

Ron said:
[...]

You might want to look at MIS
https://themooseisloose.net/cpanelsharedhosting.html

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Ed Jay quothed:
You're absolutely right. I once owned a company that produced the highest
priced widget in its market. Three-times the cost of others and it wasn't
much better than the best of the rest. I advertised using the line, "When
other widgets are a dime a dozen, ours costs an arm and a leg!" We
couldn't keep up with demand. :)

It's a "psycho-logical" thing. People want "The Best" and are willing to
pay for it (-if it's at all affordable) just to be smug in the knowledge
that they have "The Best" and everybody else's thingy is inferior to
their own. A good entrepreneur can interpret his market and advantage
himself of its opportunities intuitively.

Ed Jay

Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, Ed Jay quothed:

It's a "psycho-logical" thing. People want "The Best" and are willing to
pay for it (-if it's at all affordable) just to be smug in the knowledge
that they have "The Best" and everybody else's thingy is inferior to
their own. A good entrepreneur can interpret his market and advantage
himself of its opportunities intuitively.

Yes, and people also want bragging rights about how much they can afford
to pay. And then, there's always the [fallacious] thought that 'things'
are worth the price one pays for them.

I've seen many examples of 'things' not selling at a reasonable price, but
when the price is arbitrarily increased to a seemingly unreasonable level,
buyers flock to the table.

BTW, I employed the 'arm and leg' line out of defense. I felt that it
was/is important to circumvent people from saying, "It costs too much." I
reasoned that by saying it myself, it would cut them off at the knees. It
worked. :)

Ed Jay (remove M to respond)

Neredbojias said:
[...]

It seems you have a great understanding of the marketplace. Now let me
ask this question. What are your thoughts on ebay? I, myself, have
never logged into ebay because it seems to me that the concept is very
much to the purchaser's disadvantage. Ie, many buyers:eek:ne product (-per
item). In it's short history, ebay appears to have been very popular
but that could very well be a fad, the appeal of something new and
different.

Anyway, I don't think my position will change on this issue for the
simple reason that, to me, ebay is nothing more than a "legitimate
scam", -an "auction for the masses", a commercial balm for the egos of
those who embrace it in rather the same way we have been discussing
enterprise otherwise.

Tina - AxisHOST, Inc.

Neredbojias said:
[...]

I bought a whole kitchen full of brand new appliances on eBay, at a price
that couldn't be beat around here and with very little effort on my part. I
saved over $2000. If I got scammed...I wish I'd get taken advantage of more
often.

Neredbojias said:
[...]

I do not doubt your words, but how can one "beat the market price" at
what is essentially an auction? You said "brand new appliances" so it
isn't a case of one person's junk... Perhaps wholesalers advantage
themselves of ebay to do a little retailing on the side. Or crooks.

Then again, maybe you were just lucky. Occasionally one can even find a
(true) bargain at Nieman Marcus's. But I still maintain that the ebay
concept is phffft. There was a couple that lived near me who used to go
around the state collecting junk (-and I mean junk) to sell on ebay.
They made quite a substantial profit - for a while. Then something
happened, I don't know what, but all of a sudden ebay wasn't such a
golden goose anymore. Possibly others began offering superior junk for
a similar price.

Anyway, the concept, on a logical basis, isn't viable. If it works, I'd
like to know how.

Ed Jay

Neredbojias said:
[...]

You have it pegged, but as Tina pointed out, it is a good place to find
bargains on new merchandise. I bought my home theater setup on ebay and
save a chunk of change in the process. All new equipment. I've also
confirmed your hypothesis by selling used goods on ebay. The buyers are
not only at a distinct disadvantage because of supply/demand, but
psychology and avarice also plays a big role in the auction process. It's
been fun watching people bid against themselves to assure they get
whatever is being sold.

Rule of thumb...buy only new goods, sell whatever you want to make money
on.

Ed Jay (remove M to respond)

Stan McCann

With neither quill nor qualm, Tina - AxisHOST, Inc. quothed:

There really are advantages both ways. I was selling for a while and
if I had kept up with it, I would have started pulling in a profit. I
stopped after having some issues with PayPal, not with eBay. Although
they are pretty much one company.

Motorcycle parts. Motorcycle gas tanks can be very expensive in the
hundreds of dollars. I got one that had a very small scratch on the
paint, no dents at all, for $150.00. Mustang is one of the leading
names for motorcycle seats; good seats at good (for the quality)
prices, again in the hundreds of dollars. I got a nice one that has a
small tear in it for $50.00. Those two deals saved me hundreds.
I do not doubt your words, but how can one "beat the market price"
at what is essentially an auction? You said "brand new appliances"
so it isn't a case of one person's junk... Perhaps wholesalers
advantage themselves of ebay to do a little retailing on the side.
Or crooks.

Or what I call wheeler dealers. When I was selling on eBay, I was
selling for the guy that lives across the street from me. He goes to
auctions and picks up lots of whatever there is. Much of what he gets
is pure junk which is put on pallets and sold to a Chinese company.
Some stuff is picked through and found to be good. I was selling cable
modems for $30 or less. I was selling transparancy makers for $150.
We were both coming out ahead on the sales.
Then again, maybe you were just lucky. Occasionally one can even
find a (true) bargain at Nieman Marcus's. But I still maintain that
the ebay concept is phffft. There was a couple that lived near me
who used to go around the state collecting junk (-and I mean junk)
to sell on ebay. They made quite a substantial profit - for a
while. Then something happened, I don't know what, but all of a
sudden ebay wasn't such a golden goose anymore. Possibly others
began offering superior junk for a similar price.

I don't think it is luck but finding someone that had picked up a bunch
of overstocked furniture. For the other; one man's junk is another's
riches.
Anyway, the concept, on a logical basis, isn't viable. If it works,
I'd like to know how.

Sure it is. The only reason I hadn't made a profit yet is because I
had put up some stuff that didn't sell well which ate into the money
being made from the stuff that did. A few more of those transparancy
makers I was selling would have put me in the black. There are ways of
getting stuff extremely cheap allowing it to be sold at a profit. And,
as I found as an eBay seller, on some of the small cheap items, you can
make your profit from the shipping instead of the item. For instance,
one of the items I had that didn't sell well was Hot Wheels (new in
package) from the 60s and 70s. At a buck or two each, I didn't make
anything from the cars. At $6.00 shipping, I was making about $3.50
per car from the shipping.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Stan McCann quothed:
[...]

Well, you make a lot of sense. I guess what I'm really saying is that
the American buyer, in general, is stupid. Sure, I understand the
concept of someone (-the seller) spending time to locate a not-
blatantly-common item of little intrinsic value for someone else (-the
buyer) who wants it but in many instances this basic principle is
ridiculously exceeded by the price margins appied to the sale. Perhaps
that's it, the buyer isn't as stupid as he is lazy, although one relates
to the other, also.

Anyway, I'm not an economist or financial wizard, but I do watch my
pennies and it really irks when when I find I've overpaid for some crap
I probably didn't need or even especially want in the first place. I
tend to hold grudges in that respect; if a business gets me once, it
*won't* get me again because I'll boycott it good and proper. I didn't
go to McDonalds for 5 years because some a-hole countergirl rooked me on
a 1/4-pound cheeseburger/2ble cheeseburger deal. Furthermore, in the
last 3-3 1/2 years, I've only been to Mickey D's twice, to boot. Yeah,
they made out on that deal.

(I realize that the countergirl is not the corporation, but who am I to
blame? If a company can't control its employees, they *are* to blame.)

Americans are always bragging about their rights, but if they'd argue
their right in the marketplace with equivalent zeal, we wouldn't have so
many damn scams and ripoffs.

Frogleg

Go over to webhostingtalk.com and do a search for affordablehost.com - I
imagine his dissatisfaction is pretty much the same as most of those people.

Oh, Tina -- why did you leave/sell? Affordable is *insane* these days.
I just spend 15 minutes on "live" help waiting for some dimwit to say
he couldn't find a trouble ticket on the (new) question I'd asked.
Servers changed without notice; DNS servers gone mad; online
knowledgebase gone; how could you leave the inmates in charge of the
asylum?!

Tina - AxisHOST, Inc.

Frogleg said:
Oh, Tina -- why did you leave/sell? Affordable is *insane* these days.
I just spend 15 minutes on "live" help waiting for some dimwit to say
he couldn't find a trouble ticket on the (new) question I'd asked.
Servers changed without notice; DNS servers gone mad; online
knowledgebase gone; how could you leave the inmates in charge of the
asylum?!

I swear to you, I researched them for months....met with them face to face
more than once (international flights involved) and they had all the right
answers. Further, I could find nothing bad about them other than some Word
Press people were pissed off at them.

I wish I had a crystal ball and/or a time machine. :-(

--Tina

Frogleg

I swear to you, I researched them for months....met with them face to face
more than once (international flights involved) and they had all the right
answers. Further, I could find nothing bad about them other than some Word
Press people were pissed off at them.

I wish I had a crystal ball and/or a time machine. :-(

I guess I just want a shoulder to cry on. Affordabe was *such* a good
home. It's maddening to have to go through this idiocy. Just never
sell up again!

BTW, for others in search of hosting, I've had good ('though not as
good as the *old* Affordable) experience with 5DollarHosting.com.