    instead of as part of the page. Any Ideas? (apart from giving up
    Frames altogether!)
    TIA Nick

    Nick, Apr 15, 2006

  2. Nick

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, Nick <>
    declaimed:

    > I administer a fairly simple website, http://www.cyhams.org which uses
    > Frames. It works pretty well, except that occasionally, for example if
    > one visits it after visiting http://news.bbc.co.uk , clicking on a
    > link in the lefthand 'contents' opens the subpage in a whole page,
    > instead of as part of the page. Any Ideas? (apart from giving up
    > Frames altogether!)
    > TIA Nick

    Yes, it did that for me, too, and (surprisingly) in both IE and Firefox.

    I don't know specifically what's wrong but the markup is archaic and in
    some cases invalid by modern standards. There is no DTD, putting browsers
    in "Quirks".

    The best way to fix it is to use a strict doctype, update the page to
    currently-acceptable markup under that doctype, and then validate the
    result at the w3c.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity can have limits.

    Neredbojias, Apr 15, 2006

  3. Nick

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Nick <> wrote:

    > I administer a fairly simple website, http://www.cyhams.org which uses
    > Frames. It works pretty well, except that occasionally, for example if
    > one visits it after visiting http://news.bbc.co.uk , clicking on a
    > link in the lefthand 'contents' opens the subpage in a whole page,
    > instead of as part of the page. Any Ideas? (apart from giving up
    > Frames altogether!)
    > TIA Nick

    You need to look at your use of "target" in your code. It looks
    wrong to me: <frame name="contents" target="main" ...

    I used to use target only in the links themselves and had no
    trouble. try removing this from your frameset. Leave the target
    for the links in the actual source code of the frame itself.

    Your code is bad, validate it, put this at the top of your whole
    html doc:

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">

    then go to a validator like http://validator.w3.org/

    --
    dorayme