python logo

Xah Lee

what's the decision? any reference to the discussion?

i thought it is better for Python to have one single recognizable logo.
Perhaps python doesn't have a logo and the official python people
decided it shouldn't or just doesn't have one currently?

of course, a logo helps in identity and as well as advertisement.

Xah
(e-mail address removed)
∑ http://xahlee.org/

Tim Churches

Xah said:
i noticed that Python uses various logos:

http://python.org/pics/pythonHi.gif
http://python.org/pics/PyBanner038.gif
http://python.org/pics/PyBanner037.gif
http://python.org/pics/PythonPoweredSmall.gif
http://wiki.python.org/pics/PyBanner057.gif

is this some decision that python should use various different logos?

Xah
(e-mail address removed)
∑ http://xahlee.org/
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tim C

PS Yes, I know that I shouldn't feed the trolls (or hobgoblins), but I
invoke Screwtape's Defence: other people who should know better don't
seem to be able to resist the temptation either...

PPS Emerson's assertion might well apply not just to Python logos, but
also, ahem, to certain aspects of the Python standard library.

TC

Diez B. Roggisch

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tim C

PS Yes, I know that I shouldn't feed the trolls (or hobgoblins), but I
invoke Screwtape's Defence: other people who should know better don't
seem to be able to resist the temptation either...

PPS Emerson's assertion might well apply not just to Python logos, but
also, ahem, to certain aspects of the Python standard library.

AMEN!

and +1 QOTW

Diez

Devan L

Xah said:
what's the decision? any reference to the discussion?

i thought it is better for Python to have one single recognizable logo.
Perhaps python doesn't have a logo and the official python people
decided it shouldn't or just doesn't have one currently?

of course, a logo helps in identity and as well as advertisement.

Xah
(e-mail address removed)
∑ http://xahlee.org/

There should only be one obvious way to do it, but there are many
creative ways to do it too.

Tim Churches

Fredrik said:
Tim Churches wrote:

you've read the python style guide, I presume?

http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0008.html

A Foolish Consistency is the Hobgoblin of Little Minds.
--often ascribed to Ralph Waldo Emerson but
in fact due to[1] G. van Rossum and B Warsaw.

[1] The convention that quotes are ascribed to those who first used them
is, of course, a foolish consistency.

Tim C

Fredrik Lundh

Tim said:
you've read the python style guide, I presume?

http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0008.html

A Foolish Consistency is the Hobgoblin of Little Minds.
--often ascribed to Ralph Waldo Emerson but
in fact due to[1] G. van Rossum and B Warsaw.

[1] The convention that quotes are ascribed to those who first used them
is, of course, a foolish consistency.

in case you really got that backwards, I should probably point out that
the style guide reference was in response to the "certain aspects of the
python standard library" part of your post, not the "emerson said this"
part.

</F>

Tim Churches

Fredrik said:
Tim Churches wrote:

also, ahem, to certain aspects of the Python standard library.

you've read the python style guide, I presume?

http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0008.html
A Foolish Consistency is the Hobgoblin of Little Minds.
--often ascribed to Ralph Waldo Emerson but
in fact due to[1] G. van Rossum and B Warsaw.

[1] The convention that quotes are ascribed to those who first used them
is, of course, a foolish consistency.

in case you really got that backwards, I should probably point out that
the style guide reference was in response to the "certain aspects of the
python standard library" part of your post, not the "emerson said this"
part.
I was indulging in the leg pulling which your reply invited, Fred. I
think we both agree that the minor inconsistencies in various aspects of
the Python standard library are of no consequence to anyone except the
pathologically pedantic.

Tim C