Should I revise chaotic content?

jcnews

I have been teaching myself web design for the past year. I am re-designing
a fairly popular website at the moment. The website is very chaotic looking
because the original author wrote the home page with many spelling errors
and redundancies (repeated key words) in an attempt to get a high search
engine ranking. The site is highly ranked on Google when searching for
those search words.

My question is: I want to redesign the site with a clean look, proper
English sentences, and proper spelling. Will this affect its search engine
rankings negatively? My thought is that major businesses don't write
rambling sentences that have spelling errors and redundancies but they still
get high search engine rankings.

Any advice? Should I leave the content alone, or rewrite it into clear and
concise English? I don't want the search engine rankings to go down or it
will be a failed project.

Thank you.

brucie

In alt.internet.search-engines,alt.html jcnews said:
I don't want the search engine rankings to go down or it will be a
failed project.

when i explained to my bank manager that to promote my business i was
just going to enter lotteries in the hope of winning poor quality free
advertising she laughed at me!

i thought she was going to pop a valve when i tried to reassure her that
it was ok because i had a secret formula for increasing my chances of
winning.

Big Bill

In alt.internet.search-engines,alt.html jcnews said:

when i explained to my bank manager that to promote my business i was
just going to enter lotteries in the hope of winning poor quality free
advertising she laughed at me!

i thought she was going to pop a valve when i tried to reassure her that
it was ok because i had a secret formula for increasing my chances of
winning.

You're new around here aren't you?

BB
www.kruse.co.uk Qualified SEO

brucie

In alt.internet.search-engines,alt.html Big Bill said:
You're new around here aren't you?

no, the OP xposted into alt.obsessive-compulsive-disorders ... mmmm.....
i mean alt.internet.search-engines oops.

Toby Inkster

jcnews said:
Should I leave the content alone, or rewrite it into clear and concise
English?

If you spell things correctly and write well, then more people will like
the site. If more people like the site, more people will link to it. If
more people link to it, it will go up in Google.

Big Bill

If you spell things correctly and write well, then more people will like
the site. If more people like the site, more people will link to it. If
more people link to it, it will go up in Google.

What is this, the alt.html away day?

BB
www.kruse.co.uk Qualified SEO

Michael G. Schneider

Any advice? Should I leave the content alone, or rewrite it into clear
and
concise English? I don't want the search engine rankings to go down or it
will be a failed project.

I would not advise to write incorrect English for gaining high Google
ranking. But you should be aware of the fact, that Google is not very strong
in grammatical rules. So you should help Google in understanding your
message. Be aware of Google's minimal semantical analysis of your page and
with this knowledge in mind, write your text in correct English.

Michael G. Schneider

SpaceGirl

Michael said:
I would not advise to write incorrect English for gaining high Google
ranking. But you should be aware of the fact, that Google is not very strong
in grammatical rules. So you should help Google in understanding your
message. Be aware of Google's minimal semantical analysis of your page and
with this knowledge in mind, write your text in correct English.

Michael G. Schneider

I dont want to sound mean Michael, but your post seems somewhat laden
with accidental irony...

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Michael G. Schneider

I dont want to sound mean Michael, but your post seems somewhat
laden with accidental irony...

No irony at all. Honestly. My advise was meant seriously.

What made you think so? Or do you believe, that I am incorrect?

Michael G. Schneider

rf

[crossposted group deleted, not on my server, so Mr Schneider may not see
this unless somebody quotes it back there]
No irony at all. Honestly. My advise was meant seriously.

What made you think so? Or do you believe, that I am incorrect?

I believe the spacegirl was not commenting on the content of your post but
rather alluding to your somewhat incorrect useage of the English language in
said post.

Hint: Check where your ,s are and where your phrases/sentences start and end
and where they *should* start and end. It does not scan well. Plus that
double negative in there requires a little bit of scrutinizing to determine
the exact meaning :)

Neal

Should I leave the content alone, or rewrite it into clear and
concise English?

Holy shit yeah. Lemme tell you, if I get sent by Google to a page full of
keyword density, I run away. i suspect I'm not unique.

All the SEO in the world is useless - USELESS - unless the humans you're
trying to attract will find your page usable. So no SEO technique which
works against human usability is worthwhile - including strings of
seemingly random keywords.

T.J.

Neal said:
Holy shit yeah. Lemme tell you, if I get sent by Google to a page full of
keyword density, I run away. i suspect I'm not unique.

All the SEO in the world is useless - USELESS - unless the humans you're
trying to attract will find your page usable. So no SEO technique which
works against human usability is worthwhile - including strings of
seemingly random keywords.

Likewise, the most fantastic, pleasing to the eye, easily usable page
is useless, unless it can be found.
On saying that, I do agree with you.
The key to good SEO is getting the balance right.

SpaceGirl

rf said:
[crossposted group deleted, not on my server, so Mr Schneider may not see
this unless somebody quotes it back there]
No irony at all. Honestly. My advise was meant seriously.

What made you think so? Or do you believe, that I am incorrect?

I believe the spacegirl was not commenting on the content of your post but
rather alluding to your somewhat incorrect useage of the English language in
said post.

Hint: Check where your ,s are and where your phrases/sentences start and end
and where they *should* start and end. It does not scan well. Plus that
double negative in there requires a little bit of scrutinizing to determine
the exact meaning :)

Indeed :)

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Matthias Gutfeldt

Deryck said:
Hi Bill,

Out of curiousity, how does qualify as an SEO? Is it a formal qualification
or based on X amount of experience?

Could you qualify X, please?

Matthias

jcnews

Toby Inkster said:
If you spell things correctly and write well, then more people will like
the site. If more people like the site, more people will link to it. If
more people link to it, it will go up in Google.

Content on the home page doesn't carry much weight? It already has at least
25 incoming links and is ranked highly in Google for its searchwords. I'm
just worried about the ranking going down if I change the text content.