Should I revise chaotic content?

SEO Dave

Hi Dave

I think it's interesting how you have your sites set up as sub domain mini
sites. Would you suggest this is better than using directories? For
example is http://www.domain.com/brand-name/product-name.html better or
worse than http://brand-name.domain.com/product-name.html? What are the
pluses and minuses of each. If I am using absolute linking anyway then the
design and testing element would be equally as difficult with both. Do
search engines see all sub domains as different websites? Even though they
use the same host?

All thoughts welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Craig

The two main benefits are.

1. Search engines see sub domains as separate sites.
2. DMOZ and similar directories are more likely to link to multiple
sub domains than multiple directories of the same site.

I also have real domains for the literature sites as well, all depends
on what was available when I decided to create them. And I use
directories for some authors as well i.e.
http://www.classic-literature.co.uk/scottish-authors/james-boswell/
didn't seem worth the trouble of setting up hosting/FTP for so few
books.

BTW don't take too much to heart when looking at my literature sites I
use them for testing, so the code and structure you see might not be
what I'd consider good SEO. As I mentioned before I'm testing how a
site reacts to the removal of all H1s and H2s, I wouldn't generally
advise adding a H3 as the first header on a page, but you'll see all
the blue background pages are like this.

David

Michael G. Schneider

I too sensed some Danishness

I am beginning to believe that there might be some truth in it. I will go to
a hypnosis session and find out, whether I have been danish in my former
life. :)

Michael G. Schneider

Craig

Hi Dave

Okay so if I use sub domains I can cross link all of them and make google
think I have loads of links from multiple sites. If I take into account
Stoma's 50 link rule then as long as I keep the subs around 50 pages then it
looks like it could be a good technique. If you replicated it over say 4
sites with 10 subs each, you have 40 sites all linking to each other, and
the user experience is not changed one bit. That is as long as your
shopping cart can handle sub domains with resetting the cart. I think ours
does though. I guess you get themed links as well because all your subs of
one site will obviously be related (in most cases).

I still think it would be difficult to persuade dmoz to index different sub
domains of an ecommerce site.

Thanks!

Craig

Craig

Hi Stoma

What if a site has 50 pages or less, is it okay to site wide link then?

Thanks!

Craig

SEO Dave

Hi Dave

Okay so if I use sub domains I can cross link all of them and make google
think I have loads of links from multiple sites. If I take into account
Stoma's 50 link rule then as long as I keep the subs around 50 pages then it
looks like it could be a good technique. If you replicated it over say 4
sites with 10 subs each, you have 40 sites all linking to each other, and
the user experience is not changed one bit. That is as long as your
shopping cart can handle sub domains with resetting the cart. I think ours
does though. I guess you get themed links as well because all your subs of
one site will obviously be related (in most cases).

You've made a lot of big assumptions above and some are wrong I'm
afraid.

A link is a link, doesn't matter where it comes from, if it doesn't
have the key ingredients it won't result in what you expect.

I'm not sure what the "Stoma's 50 link rule" is but sounds like a
derivative of Sam's 100 page thing. What they don't seem to grasp is
the reason why internal links tend to not result in big jumps in
SERPs.

If you have a PR5 home page and no other pages and then create 5 new
pages linked from the above you'll most likely create 5 PR4 pages. If
you now link these back to the home page does this mean you have just
gained 5 PR4 links to your site? No, not really since other than a
very, very, very small amount of intrinsic PR new pages generate (5
new pages is irrelevant in terms of new PR) all you have done is made
the Google Toolbar report your new pages as PR4.

If you go out and find 5 existing PR4 pages not already linked to your
home page and gain links from them you have significantly increased
the PR of your home page.

Looking at this in terms of SERPs, the 5 new pages you create will
give your home page SERPs a very, very small boost, but the external
links because they really are PR4 and transferring PR will result in a
good boost to your home page SERPs.

Expand this to your example above and what you describe is no better
than adding X amount of pages to your current site. Whether you put
them on sub domains, new domains, whatever will not mean they result
in a big boost to your SERPs because the pages aren't important (no
PR).

That's not to say sub domains can't work for you, they are separate
entities and are more likely to result in new links than just another
directory. But for any new pages to give your site a boost you'll need
new links from pages not owned by you.

My literature sites will gain high PR links over time because they
consist of content people want. For example other than Project
Gutenburg and it's mirrors I don't know another site that lists more
William Shakespeare books etc... than my site
http://william-shakespeare.classic-literature.co.uk/

It's got all the plays in English and a lot in German. It's also
organised for visitors first and search engines second. The page sizes
are comparable to a real book making it easy to read in parts, where
the archives at Project Gutenburg are either the full book in one file
or at best broken down by chapter.

I couldn't optimise the content since that would ruin the book!

The title of every page of a book includes the authors name, book
title and page number. If all I cared about was SEO each title would
be unique and not repeat the same thing over and over again

Having 25 pages with the format-

<title>William Shakespeare - The Winters Tale Page ##</title>

Is not good SEO, in fact it's bad advice to do this in general since
you only need one page per SERP, but it makes it easier for visitors
to book mark a particular page, so if they read to page 32 -
http://william-shakespeare.classic-literature.co.uk/the-winters-tale/ebook-page-32.asp
the bookmark will have the title-

William Shakespeare - The Winters Tale Page 32

Which is easy to find amongst dozens of other book links and means a
visitor does not have to read an entire chapter to keep track of where
they are.

So the sites are designed to satisfy visitors in the hope the sites
will generate significant links in the long term. I can then use the
literature sites in a way that does not damage the visitor experience
to make money.

i.e.

Link to my commerce sites.
Add affiliate links to relevant sites (Amazon etc...)
Google Adwords.
Sell books myself.
Sell products related to the subject material (Shakespeare t-shirts
and hats :))
etc....

There are still a lot of things I could do to improve the sites. The
current site at number 1 for William Shakespeare is
http://shakespeare.palomar.edu/ and things I'd like to also do from
that site include-

Shakespeare Timeline
Shakespeare genealogy
Shakespeare links section

Could also have screensavers and desktop themes, image archive, study
guides, other formats of the books (txt, lit, PDF etc...) the list is
endless.

These are very, very long term projects, so no major rush to complete.
I still think it would be difficult to persuade dmoz to index different sub
domains of an ecommerce site.

I agree, but then my sub domains are all information sites.

I haven't been keeping track, but have at least-

http://dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/World_Literature/British/Shakespeare/Works/
http://dmoz.org/Society/Religion_an...ted_Kingdom/England/Middle_Ages/The_Lollards/
http://dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/World_Literature/American/19th_Century/Twain,_Mark/
http://dmoz.org/Science/Biology/History/People/Darwin,_Charles/

Submitted the first and the third of the above, the other two are
added/submitted by others :))

Considering how long DMOZ can take that's not bad for sites created 7
months or less ago.
Thanks!

Craig

David

stoma

What if a site has 50 pages or less, is it okay to site wide link then?

Yes, it should be perfectly safe with only 50 pages. But I still
wouldn't do it myself, as it wouldn't do much more in the long term
than a single link would. A few natural handcrafted links mixed in
with the real site content would do better than 50 footer links.

-stoma

stoma

If you have a PR5 home page and no other pages and then create 5 new
pages linked from the above you'll most likely create 5 PR4 pages. If
you now link these back to the home page does this mean you have just
gained 5 PR4 links to your site? No, not really since other than a
very, very, very small amount of intrinsic PR new pages generate (5
new pages is irrelevant in terms of new PR) all you have done is made
the Google Toolbar report your new pages as PR4.

If you go out and find 5 existing PR4 pages not already linked to your
home page and gain links from them you have significantly increased
the PR of your home page.

I wish Dave would get his facts straight before taking a pop at
people. That explanation of PR is totally wrong. The reason that
internal links don't do much good is because they are easily
recognised as such and their effect dampened.

-stoma

Mike Redrobe

You've made a lot of big assumptions above and some are wrong I'm
afraid.

A link is a link, doesn't matter where it comes from, if it doesn't
have the key ingredients it won't result in what you expect.

An internal link is less value than an external link.
What is the key difference between internal and external?
domains? sub-domains?
That's not to say sub domains can't work for you, they are separate
entities and are more likely to result in new links than just another
directory. But for any new pages to give your site a boost you'll need
new links from pages not owned by you.

"not owned by you" = not on the same domain.

Isn't that your whole reason to use sub-domains, since google will
see each as a separate site, and so count cross linking as external
links, not internal.

Martin Hagstrøm

I wish Dave would get his facts straight before taking a pop at
people. That explanation of PR is totally wrong.

It seemed fine to me - if you look at it from a PageRank point of view..
A link is a link is a link.
The reason that
internal links don't do much good is because they are easily
recognised as such and their effect dampened.

What effect? Do you mean anchor text?
Also bear in mind that if you really want to fool Google, you must place your
sites on different servers with differet IP addresses.

stoma

It seemed fine to me - if you look at it from a PageRank point of view..
A link is a link is a link.

Dave was talking about the effect of anchor text when he said "a link
is a link", not PageRank. I don't think you can have read it through
properly.

He was trying to argue that the reason multiple links from the same
site don't have much effect in the Serps is because internal pages
don't actually have the PageRank shown on the toolbar, but effectively
PR0. He says for PR purposes "a link is not a link, unless it's
external" - internal links pass no PR! So your pages linked only from
your own site have only "Phantom PR" on the toolbar. Which might be
partly true for query-string URLs, but for static pages that is
utterly wrong. It's amazing that someone who loves to lecture us as an
SEO expert can put forward such a bogus argument. For PR, but not
anchors, "a link is a link", and "a page is a page".
What effect? Do you mean anchor text?
Also bear in mind that if you really want to fool Google, you must place your
sites on different servers with differet IP addresses.

Yes, anchor text weight in the serps. Agreed about the importance of
different IPs, which is why I use freeservers a lot despite the
hassle.

-stoma

****** Begin full requote of SEO Dave for reference *********

[...]

**********************************

Big Bill

It seemed fine to me - if you look at it from a PageRank point of view..
A link is a link is a link.

What effect? Do you mean anchor text?
Also bear in mind that if you really want to fool Google, you must place your
sites on different servers with differet IP addresses.

I was beginning to think everyone else had forgotten that.

BB

www.kruse.co.uk
SEO you could cuddle. Probably..

Martin Hagstrøm

stoma said:
Dave was talking about the effect of anchor text when he said "a link
is a link", not PageRank. I don't think you can have read it through
properly.

I did read it a couple of times - since I have no intention of ending up in a
catfight between you and Dave.

Your own words (quoted above) were "That explanation of PR is totally wrong". So
you were talking about PageRank, not anchor text.
He was trying to argue that the reason multiple links from the same
site don't have much effect in the Serps is because internal pages
don't actually have the PageRank shown on the toolbar, but effectively
PR0. He says for PR purposes "a link is not a link, unless it's
external" - internal links pass no PR! So your pages linked only from
your own site have only "Phantom PR" on the toolbar. Which might be
partly true for query-string URLs, but for static pages that is
utterly wrong. It's amazing that someone who loves to lecture us as an
SEO expert can put forward such a bogus argument. For PR, but not
anchors, "a link is a link", and "a page is a page".

So we *are* talking PageRank after all?

I think you didn't read Dave "properly". He was explaining that you cannot
generate PageRank by adding *new* pages, be they internal or external ones. Yes,
you'll get new pages with PR4, yes, they will count as backlinks, but their
PageRank will come off from the page the links to these new pages.

I promise, that if Dave ever starts writing about "Phantom PR", I'll slap his
little fingers and take his keyboard away from him ;-)

SEO Dave

An internal link is less value than an external link.

I'm not saying that per se, a link in terms of PR will transfer X
amount of PR no matter where it is, so in this sense internal/external
are the same. But, if you have created that pages PR from your current
PR to expect it to do the same as a link from an external site is just
misunderstanding PR since it's taken PR from your other pages, so they
will no longer result in the same sized boost.

It's an easy mistake to make, you have a load of good PR internal
pages (or pages you own on any site) that are created by your linking,
not from links from others sites and so are confused as to why those
PR5 (for example) links to a new site/page doesn't result in the sort
of boost you might get from 50+ similar PR pages from other sites
(sites you don't own).

If you have 100,000 PR points (making this up as I go along, so don't
take the number too seriously) on your entire site and through
internal/external linking (so all links) 30,000 of those points end up
at the home page.

If you now add 1000 new pages (all linking to the home page) and that
adds say 1000 PR points to the site, the site now has 101,000 PR
points. But if you have linked to the new pages from existing pages
(from the same site) less of the overall PR points will end up at the
home page (the new pages have used some of the PR points, much more
than they created). So the home page might be 25,000 PR points.

So basically you have added 1000 new links to your home page, but
because those links have drained PR from your other pages through
linking, your home pages gets less PR. Although PR per se isn't the
main factor in SERPs the anchor text of links is very important and
one factor must be the PR of the page linking. So the anchor text from
a PR7 link will be worth more than a PR6 link (all other things being
equal).

So if you reduced the number of PR points to the home page from 30,000
to 25,000 this must mean the anchor text of the links must now be
worth less, so you would anticipate a fall in the SERPs.

It's not an obvious conclusion, but adding new pages to a site or
creating a new site and linking to it from your current sites will
make getting current SERPs harder if you aren't very careful how you
link it altogether.
What is the key difference between internal and external?
domains? sub-domains?

"not owned by you" = not on the same domain.

No means not owned by you personally, a site you don't control or if
you do control it the links are new to the network of sites you are
considering.

So if you have two domains A and B and currently every page of both
sites links to the home page of both sites. You add 10,000 pages to
site A or B and link all to both home pages. If the 10,000 pages are
linked into the navigation system of the above sites as I described in
an example earlier then those pages will NOT give the home pages a
boost, but will likely result in a drop in current SERPs.

Same situation but this time you add 10,000 pages to another site,
site C which is a site currently not linked to sites A or B (this bit
is very important). You link the new pages to the home pages of sites
A and B and those 10,000 pages are added to the navigation system of
site C (so they have links which gives them PR). In this situation
sites A and B gain PR and a boost from the 10,000 links at the expense
of other pages on site C (and anything else site C links to).

You can "own" site C, but as long as it's not part of the network you
are working on right now, if you add links from it your other sites
gain.

Generally though what I'm thinking about is links from sites you don't
have any connection with, so if you got a PR5 link from a DMOZ cat
this would give your site a boost and would be a link from a page not
owned by you.

Of note, reciprocal links are a difficult one as it depends on the PR
of both linking pages and how many links from each page. If you setup
a reciprocal link with a lower PR page or the number of links are
wildly different your site in general will loose out on PR. That's not
to say a lower PR reciprocal link can't help your SERPs, since PR
isn't the all and end all of SEO and even if you do loose out, since
it's a reciprocal link you get some of the PR back, so it's not as bad
in terms of PR as some of the examples above.
Isn't that your whole reason to use sub-domains, since google will
see each as a separate site,

Yes, that's one of the reasons, but not for the reasons you are
thinking.
and so count cross linking as external
links, not internal.

No. I use sub domains because they are free, easy to setup and to
Google are no different to real domains.

If you understand how PR works you will see Google does not have to
worry about webmasters creating loads of sub domains and linking them
together since it only works if you get the sub domains links in their
own right. If you use your current pages to feed the new pages your
current SERPs will likely suffer.

That's not to say adding lots of new high content pages to your site
is a bad thing, you will gain new SERPs and so it's well worth it over
all.

I've added over 60,000 pages to my literature sites, I knew before
designing the site layout etc... adding so many pages so quickly will
make obtaining the harder SERPs harder. The literature sites are a
very, very, very long term project and I know a couple of years from
now they will have many more incoming links from external sources
(from sites I don't own) than they have now, so there will be enough
PR/links to obtain the harder SERPs. Basically right now I'm not
interested in specific SERPs for the literature sites. If all I cared
about was specific SERPs for the sites I'd not of created so many
pages so quickly.

Also the best design would of been as few pages as possible per book
so as not to spread the PR so much. If I have a 250 page book (I have
a lot of books with over 250 pages) most of those pages will not
result in any search engine traffic, so in terms of links/PR it's
wasting good links and PR for no SEO gain.

That's my essay for today :))

David

SEO Dave

I did read it a couple of times - since I have no intention of ending up in a
catfight between you and Dave.
Meowwwww

Your own words (quoted above) were "That explanation of PR is totally wrong". So
you were talking about PageRank, not anchor text.

So we *are* talking PageRank after all?

I think you didn't read Dave "properly". He was explaining that you cannot
generate PageRank by adding *new* pages, be they internal or external ones. Yes,
you'll get new pages with PR4, yes, they will count as backlinks, but their
PageRank will come off from the page the links to these new pages.

That is the crux of what I was saying. I really need to learn to
explain things in single paragraph form like the above. Just took 20
mins writing a post that says the above, only thing missing is
illustrations :))
I promise, that if Dave ever starts writing about "Phantom PR", I'll slap his
little fingers and take his keyboard away from him ;-)

And I'd deserve to stand in the corner in shame for developing such
dumb ideas of PR. I'd be wearing a hat with a big D on it as well :))

David

stoma

Your own words (quoted above) were "That explanation of PR is totally wrong". So
you were talking about PageRank, not anchor text.

arguing that internal pages do not pass PR back to the home page in
the same way as external links do, and that this explains the lack of
effect of internal anchor text. That is totally, utterly and
completely wrong. If you disagree then you've discovered something
really new, and you'll have to update your site, but call it
daverank.dk or something this time because it'll have nothing to do
with PageRank.
I think you didn't read Dave "properly". He was explaining that you cannot
generate PageRank by adding *new* pages, be they internal or external ones. Yes,
you'll get new pages with PR4, yes, they will count as backlinks, but their
PageRank will come off from the page the links to these new pages.

That's not actually what he was "explaining", but oddly enough this is
wrong too. You CAN increase your PR by adding new pages - or more
correctly you can store it up. Say you have a single page site which
is PR5 due to external links, and with no outlinks. Link it to five
new pages and get five PR4s. These new pages have a total PR of 5,
minus the damping factor. The PR5 hasn't lost any PR as it is restored
from the externals at each iteration. You can add more pages to the
PR4s to repeat this process, adding the equivalent of up to a PR5 page
to your site at each iteration. This can continue until the PR lost by
damping at each iteration is equal to the PR received from the
externals. With a damping factor of 15%, and a base of 6, this means
that with the right internal linking you can pump your home page up by
about one point of toolbar PR.

The catch? Hoarding PR is like hoarding money - it's of little use
unless you "spend" it by linking out.

-stoma

stoma

Also the best design would of been as few pages as possible per book
so as not to spread the PR so much. If I have a 250 page book (I have
a lot of books with over 250 pages) most of those pages will not
result in any search engine traffic, so in terms of links/PR it's
wasting good links and PR for no SEO gain.

I gave up trying to follow that argument, but it must have contained
at least one tiny flaw if you came to that conclusion. Take an index
page (fed with useful external PR) with links to 10 chapters of a book
on it, each chapter page with a single link back to the index. Replace
it with an index with links to 100 pages of a book on it, each page as
before with a single link back to the index. Change in PR of the index
page? Zero. In fact if the index page had a few external reciprocal
links on it then the PR will go up, not down! Reason: a lesser
proportion of the index page's PR is being sent to the external pages
which send insignificant amounts back.

Having more pages is only going to help your site, not hurt it. And if
you do your internal linking right then it'll even help your PR as
well.

-stoma

Martin Hagstrøm

stoma said:
I gave up trying to follow that argument, but it must have contained
at least one tiny flaw if you came to that conclusion.

Nope - Dave's right again.
The total PageRank for the site is determined by inbound links, so the more
pages you are distributing your PageRank on, the thinner you're spreading it.
Take an index
page (fed with useful external PR) with links to 10 chapters of a book
on it, each chapter page with a single link back to the index. Replace
it with an index with links to 100 pages of a book on it, each page as
before with a single link back to the index. Change in PR of the index
page? Zero.

True. If you have a simple structure, where the index page links to all other
pages and all those pages link back to the index page (and if we disregard the
intrinsic PageRank) - then the index page will have a PageRank of X / (1- d^2) -
where 'X' is the inbound PageRank and 'd' is the damping factor, no matter how
many pages you add.

But the PageRank of the individual sub-pages will suffer - meaning they will
probably not appear in any SERPs.

In fact if the index page had a few external reciprocal
links on it then the PR will go up, not down! Reason: a lesser
proportion of the index page's PR is being sent to the external pages
which send insignificant amounts back.

True. This way you are "fooling" your link partners and passing less PageRank to
them. But that's really beside the point.
Having more pages is only going to help your site, not hurt it.

Arguably true- since PageRank is only *one* ingredient in the secret Google
sauce.
But like I said - you're spreading you PageRank thinner.
And if you do your internal linking right then it'll even help your PR as well.

How?

Martin Hagstrøm

stoma said:
arguing that internal pages do not pass PR back to the home page in
the same way as external links do, and that this explains the lack of
effect of internal anchor text.

Well, that's not the way I read it -and, judging from Dave's later post, not
what he meant either.
That is totally, utterly and
completely wrong. If you disagree then you've discovered something
really new, and you'll have to update your site, but call it
daverank.dk or something this time because it'll have nothing to do
with PageRank.

I must admit that DaveRank.dk sounds a lot than PhantomRank.dk :)

That's not actually what he was "explaining", but oddly enough this is
wrong too. You CAN increase your PR by adding new pages - or more
correctly you can store it up.

Sure. As long as you observe Hagstrøm's first law:
http://www.pagerank.dk/Pagerank-leak/Pagerank-leak.htm

Say you have a single page site which
is PR5 due to external links, and with no outlinks.

If you have a page with no outlinks you are committing a deadly sin. In that
case Hagstrøm's second law applies:
http://www.pagerank.dk/Pagerank-leak/Internal-leak.htm

Link it to five
new pages and get five PR4s. These new pages have a total PR of 5,
minus the damping factor. The PR5 hasn't lost any PR as it is restored
from the externals at each iteration. You can add more pages to the
PR4s to repeat this process, adding the equivalent of up to a PR5 page
to your site at each iteration. This can continue until the PR lost by
damping at each iteration is equal to the PR received from the
externals. With a damping factor of 15%, and a base of 6, this means
that with the right internal linking you can pump your home page up by
about one point of toolbar PR.

That's almost correct. I'll tell you a secret - I have only told this to one
other person so you'll be the third in the world to know (so don't tell Dave and
the others).

Usually the PageRank increase is supposed to be X * d / (1-d) where 'X' is the
inbound PageRank and 'd' is the damping factor. This is the published formula,
but, between you and me, I have found that this value is only the *theoretical
maximum*.

You see: X*d/(1-d) is really the same as X*d + X*d^2 + X*d^3 + X*d^4 + X*d^5 +
X*d^6....................
I.e. the sum of all the iterations, but that formula doesn't take into account
that while you're increasing your PageRank the linking page suffers a PageRank
leakage (Hagstrøm's first law). This means that the 'X' in the above iteration
gets smaller and smaller - depending on the structure in the *linking* site.
The catch? Hoarding PR is like hoarding money - it's of little use
unless you "spend" it by linking out.

I disagree. In this respect PageRank is *better* than money :)
You can spend it and have it too.

SEO Dave

Arguably true- since PageRank is only *one* ingredient in the secret Google
sauce.
But like I said - you're spreading you PageRank thinner.

If you have created a content rich site with every page targeting at
least one SERP (even if by accident) then in principal the more of
these pages you add, more traffic you should receive, but at the
expense of the harder SERPs.

In my experience there is far more traffic to be had from low traffic
SERPs than the really competitive SERPs with lots of traffic. We all
have SERPs that we never planned for, the one hit a day type that you
see on a deep content page that has very little PR. You get these
mostly due to the content and most sites I've examined tend to have
more of this traffic than the big traffic SERPs.

What I've been trying to explain is also the reason why most people
believe internal links are treated differently to external. They
aren't, it just looks that way.

David