    I'm a Newbie to ASP and ASP.NET. I know both Visual Web Developer and VS2005
    can develop ASP.NET. Which one should I choose?

    Peter

    Peter, Mar 23, 2007

  2. I use both, and prefer VWD for lighter weight and faster response.
    Although VS 2005 has some extra features, very rarely do I miss those,
    and when something is inevitable I go to VS use that feature and come
    back to VWD :)

    Just a personal opinion. Others may differ.

    Muhammad Naveed Yaseen, Mar 23, 2007

  3. I use both, and prefer VWD for lighter weight and faster response.
    Although VS 2005 has some extra features, very rarely do I miss
    those,
    and when something is inevitable I go to VS use that feature and come
    back to VWD :)

    Just a personal preference. Others may differ.

    Muhammad Naveed Yaseen, Mar 23, 2007
  5. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Thanks for your reply, Muhannad. That is to say I can also use them
    alternately in the same project.

    Peter

    Peter, Mar 23, 2007
  6. If you're part of a multi-developer team, VS 2005.
    If you are a stand-alone developer, VWD will do.

    VWD is the exact same IDE which VS 2005 uses for web development.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Mar 23, 2007
  7. But not from the same machine, right ?
    That'd be an awful waste of space/pc resources.

    Juan T. Llibre, Mar 23, 2007
  8. I'd only recommend Visual Web Developer for amateur developers that can't
    afford the more expensive, powerful and potentially more confusing features
    of VS2005.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr,

    Steve C. Orr [MCSD, MVP, CSM, ASP Insider], Mar 24, 2007
  9. Here's a handy feature comparison chart :

    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa700921.aspx

    In particular, if you need to :

    1. develop for mobile devices
    2. create/modify tables and stored procedures remotely
    3. use a Class Designer and/or Object Test Bench
    4. edit XSLT and not just XML
    5. use deployment tools
    6. use Crystal Reports
    7. have source code control
    8. execute remote debugging
    9. have 64-bit compiler support

    ....you'll need at least VS 2005's Standard edition.

    If you don't need those capabilities, you'll do fine with VWD.

    The Standard Edition is $299 for full-install and $199 for the upgrade version.

    At the bottom of the chart, there's a long list of items
    which are only available in the Team System edition.

    Juan T. Llibre, Mar 24, 2007