VWD or VS2005 ?

Peter

Hi,everybody

I'm a Newbie to ASP and ASP.NET. I know both Visual Web Developer and VS2005
can develop ASP.NET. Which one should I choose?

Peter

Muhammad Naveed Yaseen

I use both, and prefer VWD for lighter weight and faster response.
Although VS 2005 has some extra features, very rarely do I miss those,
and when something is inevitable I go to VS use that feature and come
back to VWD :)

Just a personal opinion. Others may differ.

Muhammad Naveed Yaseen

I use both, and prefer VWD for lighter weight and faster response.
Although VS 2005 has some extra features, very rarely do I miss
those,
and when something is inevitable I go to VS use that feature and come
back to VWD :)

Just a personal preference. Others may differ.

Muhammad Naveed Yaseen

I use both, and prefer VWD for lighter weight and faster response.
Although VS 2005 has some extra features, very rarely do I miss those,
and when something is inevitable I go to VS use that feature and come
back to VWD :)

Just a personal preference. Others may differ.

Peter

Thanks for your reply, Muhannad. That is to say I can also use them
alternately in the same project.

Peter

Juan T. Llibre

If you're part of a multi-developer team, VS 2005.
If you are a stand-alone developer, VWD will do.

VWD is the exact same IDE which VS 2005 uses for web development.

Juan T. Llibre

But not from the same machine, right ?
That'd be an awful waste of space/pc resources.

I'd only recommend Visual Web Developer for amateur developers that can't
afford the more expensive, powerful and potentially more confusing features
of VS2005.

Juan T. Llibre

Here's a handy feature comparison chart :

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa700921.aspx

In particular, if you need to :

1. develop for mobile devices
2. create/modify tables and stored procedures remotely
3. use a Class Designer and/or Object Test Bench
4. edit XSLT and not just XML
5. use deployment tools
6. use Crystal Reports
7. have source code control
8. execute remote debugging
9. have 64-bit compiler support

....you'll need at least VS 2005's Standard edition.

If you don't need those capabilities, you'll do fine with VWD.

The Standard Edition is $299 for full-install and $199 for the upgrade version.

At the bottom of the chart, there's a long list of items
which are only available in the Team System edition.