Where does ASPNET come from?

David C

Our windows 2003 server has a user named ASPNET and it is referenced in the
security logins on our SQL Server 2005 box (different server). is this
something .Net framework creates or did our network admin create for
accessing SQL 2005 databases on a different server? Any ideas? Thanks.

David

Mark Rae [MVP]

is this something .Net framework creates

Yes - it's the default account with ASP.NET uses...

This account has very restricted privileges, hence the need to use
impersonation for certain activities e.g. querying ActiveDirectory etc...

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> is this something .Net framework creates or did our network admin
!> create for accessing SQL 2005 databases on a different server?

Most probably.

I'd say that your network admin created that ad-hoc account
in order to assign it specific permissions because he thought
the "NT Authority\Network Service" account had too many permissions.

If so, he was mistaken. The "NT Authority\Network Service" account has exactlt
the parmissions ASP.NET needs to run, and no other permissions.

The ASP.NET account for Windows 2003 Server is "NT Authority\Network Service"

Windows 2003 Server doesn't use the ASPNET account.
The ASPNET account is used by Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

Maybe your network admin experimented with ASP.NET impersonation ?

David C

I went to one of our customers servers which is also Windows 2003 (is SBS)
and it had .Net 2.0 framework but there was no ASPNET account in Active
Directory like there is in ours. The response from Juan seems to differ
from yours. Thanks.

David

Juan T. Llibre

The default ASP.NET account is determined by the version of IIS used.

For IIS 5.0 and 5.1, the default ASP.NET account is the ASPNET account.

For IIS 6.0 the default ASP.NET account is the NT AUTHORITY\Network Service account.

David C said:
I went to one of our customers servers which is also Windows 2003 (is SBS) and it had .Net 2.0 framework but there was
no ASPNET account in Active Directory like there is in ours. The response from Juan seems to differ from yours.
Thanks.

Mark Rae [MVP]

The default ASP.NET account is determined by the version of IIS used.

For IIS 5.0 and 5.1, the default ASP.NET account is the ASPNET account.

For IIS 6.0 the default ASP.NET account is the NT AUTHORITY\Network
Service account.

Apologies - you're quite correct - I didn't read the OP closely enough...
Win2k3s, having IIS6, would not by default have an ASPNET account...

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> Apologies - you're quite correct - I didn't read the OP closely enough...

heh... Been there, done that.

We all, at some time, gloss over an OP's post and miss a detail.
In the last year only, I must have done that 3 or 4 times.

I take consolation from the fact that my gazillion other posts were on target.

Nobody is perfect...and nobody is expected to be perfect.
What's important is that our experience/knowledge help others.

An occasional flub is to be expected but what's important,
when we flub, is recognizing our mistakes and learning from them.

You have done so admirably with your response.

Carry on... Your assistance is much appreciated.
You have one of the finest programming minds I have ever encountered.

Mark Rae [MVP]

I take consolation from the fact that my gazillion other posts were on
target.
Absolutely!

You have one of the finest programming minds I have ever encountered.

Bartender, gimme a pint of whatever that guy's drinking... ;-)