xilinx to quartus

megha

hi,
i am beginner in vhdl.i have been using Xilinx ISE for some time and
now trying out quartus II 5.1. I have few doubts and hope some one
clears them.
Firstly how and where do i declare a package file?do i have to open a
new project and give the top level design entity name as package name??
Secondly how should i include the files which use this package?Do i
have to create a separate project for each file under the same
directory? How do i go about building a hierarchy of files? I tried
using the ADD files in Settings but it was giving errors! In my code i
have a package file and two different vhdl files which have a heirarchy
of files under them.So could anyone plz tell me how to include all
these files in a project? i hope my questions are clear .
i did go through some of Altera's literature but couldnt clear my
doubts.
Thank You

Mike Treseler

megha said:
now trying out quartus II 5.1. I have few doubts and hope some one
clears them.
Firstly how and where do i declare a package file?

It's just another file in the list.
do i have to open a new project and give the top level design entity name as package name??

No, only for the top entity.
Secondly how should i include the files which use this package?Do i
have to create a separate project for each file under the same
directory? How do i go about building a hierarchy of files?

The files are just a list sorted in order of compilation.
Hierarchy is based on instances in your code.

-- Mike Treseler

ghelbig

What Mike says is true, and...

ISE will put the files in order for you, Quartus will not.

You need to elaborate a component before it's instantiated. So put the
package files 1st, then the lower modules, and the top level last.

You can (usually must) change the order after you add the file.

Mike Treseler

What Mike says is true, and...

ISE will put the files in order for you, Quartus will not.

Interesting.
Score one for brand X assuming this works reliably.
I am astonished that this task
has always been punted back to the user.
Seems like something a computer
ought to be good at doing.

From a vhdl-mode project directory,
I can get the ordered list by saying: