3D plotting with python 2.5 on win32

anton

Hi,

I would like to know if some of you knows a

- working

- actual

- out of the box (for me: binaries available)

Package/Lib to do 3D plotting out of the box.

I know matplotlib.

There is MayaVi from enthon but you need to use their python (2.4.3),
all other stuff need picking sources etc.

IVuPy-0.1 seems to be abandonware, and there are no binaries.

I don't get qwtplot3d-0.2.7 to compile on my pc, it seems you need the
commercial
qt 4.33 (with opensource qt 4.3.3 I doesnt work).

Actually there is a big list on python org of 3D software, but I need
only plotting facility (like Matlab for example), and some/most of
the listed projects seem not be up to date (still based on python 2.4,
like PyOpenGL where you get binaries only for python 2.4,
seems to be abandonware too, sigh).

Thanks for a hint :)

markacy

[...]

Hi anton,

Have you take a look at vpython? Here's their website:
http://www.vpython.org/
And here is an simple example of how to use it:
http://linuxgazette.net/144/john.html

Hope this helps :)

Cheers,

Marek

Jason

[...]

PyOpenGL isn't abandonware. Python 2.5 comes with the ctypes module
[1], so there isn't any need for a binary wrapper module anymore.

Under 2.5, all pure "wrapper" binary modules are unnecessary. They
can work cross-platform from pure Python, calling directly into the C
function code. Trust me, this is an excellent improvement.

PyOpenGL probably too low-level for what you want, but it isn't dead
yet. (It's just pining for the symbol table.)

--Jason

[1] http://docs.python.org/lib/module-ctypes.html

anton

Hi Marek,

thanks for the link .. I knew VPython
already by I forgot it ( the last time it was only
python 2.4 compatible) but as I see
they support python 2.5 now ;-)

I will check it and thanks again.

Anton

anton

Hi Jason,

I know ctypes, my problem is not PyOpenGL itself,
but during my tests with different python based 3D tools,
some of them depend on PyOpenGL and since PyOPenGL
is only available for python 2.4 .... the story ends here.

Sorry I don't actually remember exactly what tool it was,
I tried out (or tried to try out) different tools for
doing 3D plotting, but skipped most of them since I did
not get them to work.
(... yes I am a little bit confused since I didnt find
something working out of the box).

Anton

Jason

[...]

That's just it: PyOpenGL is available for Python 2.5. Go to "http://
pyopengl.sourceforge.net/ctypes/using.html" for information about
getting and installing it.

Obviously, I don't know what problems are with the tools you tried.
There may be backward-compatibility problems that I haven't
encountered with PyOpenGL on Python 2.5.

I do hope this helps you, even if only a little bit.

--Jason

Peter Wang

Hi,

I would like to know if some of you knows a
- working
- actual
- out of the box (for me: binaries available)
Package/Lib to do 3D plotting out of the box.
There is MayaVi from enthon but you need to use their python (2.4.3),
all other stuff need picking sources etc.

Hi Anton,

You actually don't need to use the enthon installer (and definitely
not the 2.4.3-based one) in order to get MayaVi. You will need to
have setuptools installed. Then, you should run:

easy_install -f http://code.enthought.com/enstaller/eggs/windows/xp
VTK enthought.mayavi[nonets]

It's important to include "[nonets]" so that you will get scipy and
numpy as well.

Here are some links for getting started with MayaVI:
Mayavi Cookbook: http://scipy.org/Cookbook/MayaVi
MLab: http://www.scipy.org/Cookbook/MayaVi/mlab

From your posts it sounds like you really want to use something like
MLab.

On a side note, we are almost done putting together an updated one-
click installer of python + packages for scientific computing. This
will be based on Python 2.5, will include most of what was included in
the 2.4.3-based installer, and will be available for multiple
platforms.

-Peter

anton

Hi Peter,
have setuptools installed. Then, you should run:

easy_install -fhttp://code.enthought.com/enstaller/eggs/windows/xp
VTK enthought.mayavi[nonets]

It's important to include "[nonets]" so that you will get scipy and
numpy as well.

I have already scipy 0.6.0 and numpy 1.0.4 installed, so
I assume I can ignore [nosets]

I will try to do tell setuptools to download all the stuff
instead of installing it at once, so I can install it on other pc's
even without internet connection.
(I have to look, I always forget the easy_install parameters)
Here are some links for getting started with MayaVI:
Mayavi Cookbook:http://scipy.org/Cookbook/MayaVi
MLab:http://www.scipy.org/Cookbook/MayaVi/mlab

Thanks. I know scipy.org already, its grea :)
From your posts it sounds like you really want to use something like
MLab.

Yes, exact for the first step.

Then I will look if I can integrate a "3D Plot window"
in a wxPython application.
I want to write an application to analyse log files from nc machines,
and display the trajectories of the machine.
On a side note, we are almost done putting together an updated one-
click installer of python + packages for scientific computing. This
will be based on Python 2.5, will include most of what was included in
the 2.4.3-based installer, and will be available for multiple
platforms.

Looks nice, its also nice that its possible to
use parts of the enthon suite without using the full enthon installer.

While it may be nice for some peoples, I personally prefer
to install the standard python from python.org and add packages
independently.
(I tried the 2.4.3 enthon installer some time ago, but since
I had already a python 2.4.3 installation with moinmoin and trac for
example,
I didn't like this too much, ... don't remember exactly what I
didn't like exactly, by I deinstalled the whole enthon stuff rather
fast.

Again: the enthon installer is nice if somebody uses only this
suite :)
Its a great work, congratulations !!)

Thanks, Peter

Anton

anton

Hi Peter,

I tried it, but I have problems downloading with easy_setup.

If I download files with firefox and a downloadmanager it works
(I also ha transferrates of 3kB/s which is quite slow)
easy_install -fhttp://code.enthought.com/enstaller/eggs/windows/xp
VTK enthought.mayavi[nonets]

My question (I didn't figure it out myself for now):

Is it possible to tell easy_install to create a list
of all files to download like

http://code.enthought.com/enstaller/eggs/windows/xp/enthought.mayavi-2.0.2a1-py2.5.egg
http://code.enthought.com/enstaller/eggs/windows/xp/VTK-5.0.3.0003_s-py2.5-win32.egg

so that I could pass this list to a downloadmanager and then install
the stuff like:
easy_install -f . enthought.mayavi VTK

Any idea ... I tried the -n parameter,
but since after every download easy_install had an error
telling me that the egg is not a zipfile ...
(perhaps it didn't get the complete file)
it deleted it afterwards anyway.

Bye

Anton

sturlamolden

Package/Lib to do 3D plotting out of the box.

I know matplotlib.

If you are going to do 3D plotting of data, the tool to use is VTK. It
is the de facto standard for 3D scientific/technical visualization,
regardless of programming language. VTK has Python bindings, but you
need to build the library from source. VTK is embeddable in wxPython.

http://www.vtk.org/

The prebuilt VTK binaries are build with tcl support. If you are happy
using tcl as middleman, i.e. similar to what tkinter does for gui, you
don't need to build the Python bindings.

sturlamolden

If you are going to do 3D plotting of data, the tool to use is VTK. It
is the de facto standard for 3D scientific/technical visualization,
regardless of programming language. VTK has Python bindings, but you
need to build the library from source.

And finally, consider building build tvtk from Enthought to get proper
NumPy support. As with VTK, there is no prebuilt installer.

gsal

On a side note, we are almost done putting together an updated one-
click installer of python + packages for scientific computing.  This
will be based on Python 2.5, will include most of what was included in
the 2.4.3-based installer, and will be available for multiple
platforms.

-Peter

We who?

(a little of a side note)

I just bought Chun's book and have been monitor c.l.p. I also browsed
through the Enthought site. While I found Enthought very interesting,
I found it kind of disappointing that they seem to support Windows,
only, unless I am not seeing the big picture.

In anycase, I would really like very much to see what you are talking
about, a multi-platform one-clik-installer of python+scientific-
computing...who is "we" and where do you think it will be?

gsal