    symbol error for _JoyDef and _Control. Now I assume this means I'm
    missing a library somewhere, does anyone know which one it could be?

    Thanks!

    Displacer, Oct 13, 2006

  2. (It's not very likely that anyone here does. You may have quite a
    research project on your hands...)

    Your post is off-topic for comp.lang.c. Please visit

    http://c-faq.com

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Oct 13, 2006

  3. Off topic. Not portable. Cant discuss it here. Blah, blah, blah.

    Useful clc-related links:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergers
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clique
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_programming_language

    Kenny McCormack, Oct 13, 2006
  4. Displacer

    Displacer Guest

    Displacer, Oct 13, 2006
  5. Displacer

    mark_bluemel Guest

    Amusingly, he was trying (I think) to be funny (or at least sarcastic).

    To return to your original question (which is indeed, somewhat
    off-topic here), you'd probably get more help from a group related to
    the DOS platform, or perhaps an emulator group, than a generic C
    language group.

    mark_bluemel, Oct 13, 2006
  6. Displacer

    Displacer Guest

    Yes, I'll look around for dos specific. I looked through the faq for
    this group before I posted, but apparently not well enough. Anyway
    sorry about the off topic post.

    Displacer, Oct 13, 2006
  7. I'm just saying the same thing as what the so-called "regulars" say,
    dozens of times each day, but without the pseudo-sugar coating that makes
    it sound like it is actually helpful, when we all know the obvious
    content is "Ha! Bagged another one!".

    The regs will, of course, deny that this is their intent, but we
    all know they are lying. And, worst of all, we know *why* they are lying.

    Further, the links that I provide are actually quite helpful for the
    newbie in trying to comprehend why they get the weird responses that
    they get here.

    Kenny McCormack, Oct 13, 2006
  8. Mr. McCormack is in fact such as you called him, as well as a resident
    troll and a general idiot. You may wish to join many regular posters
    and add him to your newsreader's killfile; it certainly spares one
    much annoyance.

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Oct 13, 2006
  9. Kenny McCormack said:
    Mr McCormack is in error here. Whilst the "regulars" do indeed point out
    topicality issues, they very often endeavour to provide the name of a
    newsgroup that is more relevant to the OP's question, something Mr
    McCormack never seems to bother with...
    ....but redirection /is/ actually helpful, since it serves to match an OP up
    with a relevant newsgroup where his question is topical and stands a chance
    of being answered correctly.
    We don't all know any such thing, because it's not true. When I redirect
    (which is rare nowadays), I do so in the hope that the redirection will
    prove useful to the OP. "Bagged another one" doesn't enter into it. The
    ascribing of motives to others is always a shaky practice, and Mr McCormack
    has got it badly wrong here.
    Mr McCormack's accusation of deception is groundless, although it may well
    be that he does not realise this.
    Actually, this is partly true - *one* of the links Mr McCormack provides is
    at least mildly relevant (the C language entry in the Wiki), although I
    would hesitate to recommend that link myself.

    But the clique thing is an obvious canard, since comp.lang.c has
    traditionally proved very accepting of anyone and everyone who has taken
    the time and trouble to learn the C language and is able to distinguish (or
    learn to distinguish) clearly between the only barely related concepts of
    "language", "implementation", and "third-party stuff".

    As for the Asperger's link, I am not aware that Mr McCormack has any
    credentials as a psychiatrist, so his opinions on psychiatric matters must
    be taken with a colossal pinch of salt. To use "Asperger's Syndrome" as an
    insult is to demean genuine sufferers of that condition. Some friends of
    mine have a young child who has been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome (by
    a competent psychiatrist), and I am therefore well aware that it is a not
    even remotely amusing condition. It is not something to joke about. We may
    reasonably conclude that, when a person labels another with Asperger's
    Syndrome without having the relevant professional credentials so to do, it
    is in fact the labeller who suffers... from Clueless Buffoon Syndrome.

    Richard Heathfield, Oct 13, 2006
  10. [the usual crap]
    Kenny McCormack is simply a troll. I strongly recommend ignoring him.

    Keith Thompson, Oct 13, 2006
  11. Displacer

    Flash Gordon Guest

    Actually, if your question is considered to have an implicit, "I don't
    know if these symbols are provided as standard and I'm doing something
    wrong or they are non-standard" then the question is in my opinion
    topical, it's just that the only topical answer is that they are not
    standard and so you have to ask else where for more help.

    However, your apology is appreciated and even more appreciated is that
    you are accepting the redirect gracefully.

    The following link give information about what a number of the regulars
    consider topical, although there is a vocal minority who disagree,
    http://clc-wiki.net/wiki/intro_to_clc

    The comp.lang.c FAQ, which provides a vast amount of useful information
    about C, is available from http://c-faq.com/ and Steve Summit deserves
    thanks for making the result of his efforts available for free to all.

    Flash Gordon, Oct 13, 2006
  12. OpenWatcom lacks some of the libraries that were available in Watcom. Those
    libraries weren't owned by Sybase. That could be the issue here. You'd
    need to ask users who programmed in Watcom. OW's newsgroups are on a
    proprietary server which, occasionally, doen't sync well with outside
    newservers. So, I'd recommend your newsclient connecting directly to
    nntp://news.openwatcom.org and then subscribe to openwatcom.users.c_cpp.

    Rod Pemberton

    Rod Pemberton, Oct 14, 2006
  13. Nor you, even though you should be fully aware of openwatcom.users.c_cpp
    from prior conversations with me, Paul Hsieh, etc.?
    So, you're saying there isn't a small group of individuals, I mean
    "regulars," who attempt to suppress free speech here? BS.
    Although they may not suffer from the an extreme (and disheartening) case of
    Asperger's such as your friends' child, there are many here who exhibit very
    close characteristics to Asperger's. They may therefore have a mild form of
    it or another similar psychiatric problem which hasn't been diagnosed and
    isn't being properly treated. So, what is the harm in educating them?

    Rod Pemberton

    Rod Pemberton, Oct 14, 2006
  14. Rod Pemberton said:
    I beg to differ. I have on many occasions offered alternative newsgroups
    where the OP might get a better answer to his question. A Google Groups
    search on this newsgroup will reveal many occasions when I have suggested
    that people continue their quest for information on, say,
    comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 or comp.unix.programmer or whatever.
    Actually, I'd never heard of it. You will observe, however, that (partly
    because I did not know where to redirect the OP) I didn't post a
    redirection on this occasion.
    Nobody here attempts to suppress free speech. Not those who complain about
    non-topicality. Not those who complain about those people who complain
    about non-topicality. And not even those who complain about those people
    who complain about those people who complain about non-topicality.

    Free speech does not imply the right to demand that people respond to your
    question or statement in a particular way. People can, and do, post
    whatever they like here, and that applies to the reactions that people post
    to other people's articles. If you believe in free speech, you should
    support people's right to redirect off-topic enquiries to more appropriate
    newsgroups, since to forbid them that right would be to suppress /their/
    freedom of speech.
    You only think so because you haven't thought it through.
    You are begging the question (by which I mean that, in your "what is the
    harm?" question, you are assuming the truth of the very claim that is being
    challenged). Unless you have credentials as a professional psychiatrist, I
    see no reason to give any weight to your claims about whether or not people
    in this newsgroup are suffering from Asperger's Syndrome or some related
    psychiatric illness.

    As for the possible harm involved in unqualified non-psychiatrists
    attempting to diagnose or treat putative psychiatric conditions of Usenet
    contributors, or "educate" people about such putative conditions, I suppose
    it's no worse than the possible harm involved in unqualified
    non-electricians giving people advice on how to rewire their home. That is,
    it is at best very unwise, and could possibly cause real and lasting
    damage. Here in comp.lang.c we regularly see the stupidities that amateur C
    programmers manage to inflict on their computers. No sane person would want
    such people to mess with his computer. Likewise, no sane person would want
    a bumbling quack psychiatrist to mess with his head.

    Let's leave psychiatry to the psychiatrists, and focus on C programming
    instead. It's what we're good at.

    Richard Heathfield, Oct 14, 2006
  15. Doubletalk. You just stated that is acceptable that one group uses their
    freedom of speech to suppress the freedom of speech of others. That is the
    entire problem...

    But there is a difference between the two groups: politeness and respect.
    If you aren't interested in the conversation, be polite: shut up, be
    respectful: shut up, let those who are talk without interruption or
    harassment. The conversation will end in due course.
    More BS. What do you think my IQ is? Given that "genius" is usually four
    standard deviations above the mean, tell me how many standard deviations
    above the mean you think mine is. I want to see how close to "genius" you
    place me...
    No. I'm trying to get you to realize that potentially helping one
    individual through his or her own self-diagnose of mental illness, correct
    or not, by reading about Asperger's is important. I would think that given
    that you actually know someone with Aspergers, that it'd be especially
    important to you to have the whole World read up on it. Why do you seem so
    cold or indifferent? Do you care about your friend's child?
    You are viewing this as a "Me" vs. "Pemberton" issue. You seem to be
    missing the point that someone will say: "What is this Asperger's that
    McCormack keeps posting links to?" and then read it. And, perhaps,
    recognize that they have a problem and seek professional help.
    You presume that most people have common sense or sufficient experience.
    Most don't. They need to fail or have something indicate that they have a
    problem that needs to be fixed. Without reading an article on Asperger's,
    how would someone with a mild case ever become aware of it? The answer is:
    they wouldn't. They aren't going to seek professional help unless they
    believe there is an existing problem.

    I'm not saying that I agree 100%, but it's a fair enough ideology. The
    problem is that the "regulars" only seem to apply it to others when it suits
    you. You never apply it to yourselves. Do you see no contradiction to your
    currently stated ideology with the statements you made the other day in "Get
    Pedia"?

    Rod Pemberton

    Rod Pemberton, Oct 14, 2006
  16. Rod Pemberton said:
    Not so. I just stated that it is acceptable for people to use their freedom
    of speech to request that other people observe Usenet conventions. No
    suppression is involved. Off-topic articles *do* appear here. Therefore,
    they are not being suppressed. This is obvious, yes? (And if they did not
    appear, that would not necessarily mean they are being suppressed. It might
    just mean that everybody finally got clued up to the importance of
    topicality. Not that that's terribly likely...)
    No, the problem is that people need to learn to look for bananas in a
    greengrocer's shop rather than an ironmongery.
    Now who's trying to suppress free speech?

    I shudder to think.

    Pop psychiatry is damaging.
    It is not indifference or coldness that leads me to suggest that psychiatry
    should be left to psychiatrists. Rather, it is plain ordinary common sense.
    Naturally. And he is not well served by non-psychiatrists who pollute the
    environment of discourse by using the term "Asperger's Syndrome"
    inappropriately.
    Not so. After all, it was not you who misused the term in this way.

    I guess I have more faith in people than you do.
    Okay, you lost me (because I can't remember what I said). Feel free to point
    out the alleged contradiction more explicitly if you wish. If you do, I'll
    consider then whether I agree that there is a contradiction.

    Richard Heathfield, Oct 14, 2006
  17. Displacer

    Displacer Guest

    Yes I found what I needed there. Seems I opened a can of worms here,
    but being pointed to a site on mental illness for asking a off topic
    question was uncalled for. Of course my rude reply to that was rather
    childish, and I apologize for that.

    With that being said I thank everyone for pointing me in the direction
    I needed to go.

    Displacer, Oct 15, 2006
  18. Yes, I read that. They were actually _surprisingly_ nice to you. They
    probably had fond memories of that game.
    You'd have to take that up with McCormack. FYI, you shouln't take it
    personally. This is a _recurring_ argument between McCormack and Heathfield
    (every 4 to 6 months, Healthfield can't seem to remember past that
    point...). As I stated to Healthfield, I think it's important that people
    learn about Aspergers. And, there are some people here who need to read it.

    Rod Pemberton

    Rod Pemberton, Oct 16, 2006
  19. As I noted in my reply, and as Mr. Heathfield also implied, Mr.
    McCormack is a troll, the post you are referring to being but one of
    many damning pieces of evidence against Mr. McCormack. Please do not
    interpret Mr. McCormack's behavior as typical of comp.lang.c posters.

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Oct 16, 2006
  20. Displacer

    Displacer Guest

    Nope, everyone else is very polite and helpful.
    Another question if I may, I'm running into a lot of other errors
    which have to do with C syntax and such, is it ok to post questions on
    those issues here? (nothing to do with compilers)

    Thanks again!

    Displacer, Oct 16, 2006