    ignore it and move on (*). Violations of this rule never lead to
    anything productive.

    (*) Except for this group, for some reason...

    Kenny McCormack, Nov 1, 2006

  2. You've identified yourself als twit now. Piss off usenet until you
    knows what it is, what it means and what it is used for.

    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    eComStation 1.2 Deutsch ist da!

    Herbert Rosenau, Nov 1, 2006

  3. It makes no sense to discuss with twits. Put this twit in your filters
    and stop anything that has to do with him.

    Herbert Rosenau, Nov 1, 2006
  4. Which brings up the very real question: Why do we, any of us, bother
    posting to Usenet? For those who *seek* help, the answer is clear: They
    are willing to prostrate themselves in front of those they perceive to be
    exports, in the hope, infinitesimal though it may be, of actually
    getting some useful help. That they almost get (some variation of) "Off
    topic. Can't discuss it here, etc" doesn't seem to deter them (much).

    But what us? Why do we do it? What needs of ours are being met?
    I, at least, am honest about it. I do it because it is fun and I enjoy
    it. But about KT, RH, et al? What do they get out of it? Are their
    lives this empty? Enquiring minds want to know.

    Kenny McCormack, Nov 1, 2006
  5. See my other post. Thank you.

    Kenny McCormack, Nov 1, 2006
  6. So you admit that you consider yourself above the rules of ettiquette
    that hold in this society, and have an arrogant disregard for the
    agreed standards of the groups with which you wish to interact.
    Interesting.
    Do you understand that unmoderated does not equal free-for-all?
    Apparently not.

    And by the way, my son has Aspergers. So **** off already with your
    condecending attitude. We don't need prats like you trying to
    'educate' people.

    --
    Mark McIntyre

    --Brian Kernighan

    Mark McIntyre, Nov 1, 2006
  7. Displacer

    Jordan Abel Guest

    There's irony in here somewhere. I just don't know how to explain it
    I have it, but didn't figure it had any bearing on the discussion.
    I figured it wasn't worth the effort to get offended, since I already
    knew Kenny's an ass*.

    Jordan Abel, Nov 2, 2006
  8. Jordan Abel said:
    I wasn't sure what you meant, so I found the word "ass" in Chambers, and
    this is what I read:

    "a small, usu grey, long-eared animal of the horse genus; a dull, stupid
    fellow, a fool (colloq)".

    I presume from your hesitation in using the word that you are not talking
    about horses, but on this occasion the colloquialism seems perfectly
    appropriate to me.

    Richard Heathfield, Nov 2, 2006
  9. I read a lot of groups I'm interested in. On some of them I will never
    post because on lack of fundamental knowledge. On others I like to
    post because I have the knoweledge oft the themes ontopic there and I
    like to help others asking for help.

    In some groups I find kooks, trolls, twits who have all no brain but
    interested in disturbing any communication. Sometimes it is easy to
    get them out of the group, sometimes it is not. When the number of
    kooks, twits and trolls is less then filters can help - even as I
    don't like to use them, someteimes it's the only solution. When a new
    expert of disturbing groups comes it it can help to get them in many
    filters quickly by pointing that out - and having the group clean
    again thereafter.

    When nothing helps the group gets out of control, out of interest and
    into slum - anybody who is interesting in discussion or helping others
    on that theme will live the group and another theme gets out of help.

    Herbert Rosenau, Nov 2, 2006
  10. Kenny is exactly such a troll/twit and you will be much happier
    filtering him rather than attempting to discuss anything sensible with
    him.

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Nov 2, 2006
  11. Displacer

    Jordan Abel Guest

    Right, I forgot - you're british, aren't you? "ass" is a north american
    variant form of the word you might instead spell as "arse", and is
    generally numbered among the so-called "bad words", though it's
    certainly milder than most others. You're basically right about "seems
    perfectly appropriate", though, in so far as I could not find
    a substitute word that would have fit as well.

    Jordan Abel, Nov 2, 2006
  12. Jordan Abel:
    "ass" isn't censored in daytime television here in Ireland, nor is "bitch".

    It's quite funny to watch overseas channels which censor these words. I was
    watching the medical comedy, "Scrubs", the other day on the channel,
    "Paramount Comedy", and they censored "ass" and "bitch" quite a few times
    throughout the episode.

    On the Irish channels, they go uncensored.

    Frederick Gotham, Nov 2, 2006
  13. I'm not sure he's a troll, because that implies that he's doing what
    he does with the specific intention of disrupting communication. I
    think he's doing what he does because he thinks the end result will
    *improve* the newsgroup -- because the focus of what Kenny calls the
    clique on portable standard C does seem hostile to people who are
    unfamiliar with the concepts of portable and standard languages.

    But the problem with his theory is one I've seen in several fora. The
    more tolerant a group is of lazy newbies, and the more effort a group
    puts into coddling the lazy newbies, the more likely the gurus are to
    wander off to do things they find more interesting. It *seems* like a
    good idea to be tolerant of newbies, and to say, "you know, $newsgroup
    is a better place to ask this, but because I'm nice, I'll answer it
    here." And 7 or 8 out of 10 newbies get the hint, and ask further
    questions in the other newsgroup; but the message the other 2 or 3
    take away is "I asked a question in comp.lang.c, and it got answered."

    And then they ask more basic questions, and the people who want to be
    helpful help until they are burnt out and then they go away; and by
    the time the first round of helpful people are gone, the gurus have
    long since left, and the forum is no longer useful for beginners
    (because the helpful people in the second round or later are unlikely
    to have the same level of expertise as the burnt out people or the
    gurus) or for experts (because the gurus have left).

    Of course, if Kenny can't see this happening in other places, or
    considers it a positive development, then he most likely is a troll --
    just one with longer-term plans than most.

    Charlton

    Charlton Wilbur, Nov 2, 2006
  14. Charlton Wilbur said:

    This is already happening. In the last few years we've lost Christian Bau,
    Tanmoy Bhattacharya, Billy Chambless, Doug Gwyn, Lawrence Kirby, Kaz
    Kylheku, Mikey Lee, Dan Pop, Will Rose, Michael Rubinstein, Jens
    Schweikhardt, Richard Stamp, Tom Torfs, Steve Summit (effectively), Stefan
    Wilms, and quite a few others besides.

    Richard Heathfield, Nov 2, 2006
  15. [...]

    You give him far too much credit. Kenny is a troll; he has proudly
    said so himself. Take a look at his posting history.

    It's conceivable, I suppose, that he has some other motivation, but I
    really don't care. I judge him by his repeated actions over a period
    of years. And the sooner we stop discussing him, and giving him the
    attention he seems to want, the better.

    Keith Thompson, Nov 2, 2006