    McCormack (even to criticize him or correct his errors) merely feeds
    the troll. Please ignore him. (A killfile is a good way to do this;
    you won't miss anything.)

    Keith Thompson, Oct 27, 2006

  2. I disagree.

    Here's my quick summary of the two:

    Kenny McCormack
    - 0% C related
    - 97% humorous posts

    Keith Thompson
    - 50% C related
    - 50% standard complaint posts

    It's Keith's incessant standard complaint posts which irritate us.

    Rod Pemberton

    Rod Pemberton, Oct 28, 2006

  3. You are so scared, aren't you?

    Kenny McCormack, Oct 28, 2006
  4. Well said, sir.

    Basically, everywhere else on the (Use)net, it is plainly understood
    that "if you don't like it, ignore it, move on". That sort of sentiment
    (basically, Libertarian) is a basic part of the hacker/geek mental make-up.
    What continually amazes me about clc is how a bunch of religious zealots
    managed to take over what should be a newsgroup dominated by and run by
    hacker/geeks.

    Kenny McCormack, Oct 28, 2006
  5. Displacer

    CBFalconer Guest

    No, it's your off-topic meanderings that irritate.

    CBFalconer, Oct 28, 2006
  6. As does your incessant links to your poorly written code that no one uses.

    Rod Pemberton

    Rod Pemberton, Oct 29, 2006
  7. I don't think you can make that work. It has to be couched in terms of
    "protecting the innocents". I.e., the standard position of the regs of
    this ng (as it is of religious zealots everywhere) has to be: We
    are immune from the trolls (we can just ignore them), but we have to
    post our incessant "Do not feed the troll" messages in order to
    alert/inform/protect the newbies who might not know better.

    You cannot show your weakness as you have done.

    P.S. Rod, what about the other 3% of my posts? What are they?

    Kenny McCormack, Oct 29, 2006
  8. Displacer

    Old Wolf Guest

    Actually, most people seem to agree that McCormack is
    a knob, and ignore him rather than filling the NG with bumf.

    Heathfield only replied to McCormack on this occasion
    because a poster apparently took McCormack seriously,
    so Heathfield assured the poster that McCormack was not
    a typical representative of this NG.

    IMHO, McCormack is sour because he perceives a clique
    and considers that he has not been accepted by it, so he
    is throwing his toys out of the cot. How's that for pop
    psychology?

    In fact, McCormack accusation of "Aspergers" appears to
    revolve around the fact that he considers it rude to redirect
    people to a more appropriate NG. One symptom of Aspergers
    is failure to realize that a particular action is considered rude
    by most people. Since the regulars do not consider the
    redirect to be rude, they "obviously" are suffering from this
    mental disorder. I think McCormack missed the bus to Logic 101.
    You don't seem to realise how insulting this is. It's about
    on the same level as asking a black man if he needs help
    with his congenital laziness.

    Old Wolf, Oct 30, 2006
  9. Oh, the irony...
    There it is again - as I explained to falconer, you do always have to
    couch it in terms of "protecting the innocents".
    Worth every penny we paid for it.
    I believe all I need add is: QED
    The notion that it is an insult exists only in heathfield's demented
    mind.
    I'm sure you speak from experience.

    Kenny McCormack, Oct 30, 2006
  10. Displacer

    Richard Bos Guest

    If you think that's humourous, perhaps it's time for you to advance to a
    more grown-up kind of humour. I suggest Borat as the obvious next step
    to adulthood.
    And yet they serve a purpose.

    Richard

    Richard Bos, Oct 30, 2006
  11. Pretty poor. I perceive a clique, too. I don't care at all whether or not
    I'm accepted by it. But, I would like to see an end to it because it
    alienates a large number of people who have valid C questions. The
    "regulars" frequently and unjustly attack these people with intensely rude
    and angry responses.
    You apparently didn't read the majority of my posts on this topic. I'd
    suggest you do so prior to commenting.

    As I stated previously to Healthfield,

    RP> I'm trying to get you to realize that potentially helping one
    RP> individual through his or her own self-diagnose of mental illness,
    RP> correct or not, by reading about Asperger's is important. I would
    RP> think that given that you actually know someone with Aspergers,
    RP> that it'd be especially important to you to have the whole World
    RP> read up on it. Why do you seem so cold or indifferent?

    Heathfield, who claimed to actually know "a friend's" child with Aspergers,
    seems intent on burying all conversion related to Asperger's instead of
    educating people about the illness. That's not characteristic of an
    individual in a position to help someone in need. That's the characteristic
    of someone trying to hide or bury the truth. (How's that for "pop"
    psychology?)

    Rod Pemberton

    Rod Pemberton, Nov 1, 2006
  12. If you want to talk about Asperger's, talk about it someplace where
    it's topical. If you actually care about it, and you want to educate
    people about it or be educated yourself, I encourage you to do so.

    This is comp.lang.c. It exists for the purpose of discussing the C
    programming language.

    Do you understand why we have separate newsgroups for distinct topics,
    rather than one huge "misc.misc"? Or do you think comp.lang.c should
    be buried in lengthy discussions of every topic that *you* happen to
    think is important?

    Keith Thompson, Nov 1, 2006
  13. NO! It is an unmoderated newsgroup where anything anyone posts is topical
    whether or not it happens to be on C. Take it to a moderated newsgroup if
    you _only_ _want_ discussions about C.
    Do you understand the difference between a moderated and unmoderated
    newsgroup? (No.)

    Have you begun to understand no one wants to hear your complaints such as
    this one? (No.)

    Rod Pemberton

    Rod Pemberton, Nov 1, 2006
  14. Don't be ridiculous.
    There probably are some people who want to hear them. I don't, and I
    find it a nuisance that people persist deliberately in making them
    necessary. I guess that for as long as they're necessary I'll have to
    put up with them.

    J. J. Farrell, Nov 1, 2006
  15. Displacer

    CBFalconer Guest

    Back in the sinbin you go.

    --
    Some informative links:
    < <http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/>

    CBFalconer, Nov 1, 2006
  16. I see that you've decided to be a full-fledged troll. So be it.
    I don't use a killfile, but consider this a virtual plonk.

    Keith Thompson, Nov 1, 2006
  17. I'm __100%__ serious. If you aren't interested or have a low tolerance to
    unmoderated conversation, you're the problem. Ignore it, or go somewhere
    else.
    If so, then you'd have known I was serious.
    If that's true, why are whining _exclusively_ to me...?

    Rod Pemberton

    Rod Pemberton, Nov 1, 2006
  18. Rod Pemberton said:

    There's that typo again. The one we both know only ever happened once.
    No, I'm not intent on burying /any/ conversions. But if you want to talk
    about psychiatry, there are newsgroups for that. This ain't one of them.

    I've tried hard not to think of you as a troll, but it's getting more
    difficult day by day.

    Richard Heathfield, Nov 1, 2006
  19. I didn't comment on whether or not you were serious; though if you were
    you must have either an extreme lack of understanding of social
    discussion in general and Usenet in particular, or be trolling.
    It has no bearing on whether or not you were serious, but it does on
    whether or not you were ridiculous. If the difference between moderated
    and unmoderated newsgroups were related to your comment above, then
    there would be exactly one unmoderated newsgroup.
    Don't take it personally - I said "people" not "you". You just happen
    to be the poster of the message I replied to, as someone has to be. I
    try to resist getting involved in these discussions as there are far
    too many of them; but some ideas need challenging. It also does no harm
    to point out occasionally that there are others here who prefer the
    group to stay on-topic. We don't join in the attempts to keep things on
    topic since we know others will do so, and more doing so would only
    make matters worse.

    J. J. Farrell, Nov 1, 2006
  20. Then by that logic, everything that anyone posts -- including
    admonitions that this is a newsgroup about C, and that better help for
    platform-specific problems is available in other newsgroups -- is
    appropriate as well. If you really believe what you've claimed above,
    where do you get off complaining about what other people post?

    I'm in comp.lang.c because I want informed discussions about C, not
    amateur psychoanalyis of other posters or endless discussions about
    the minutiae of operating systems and compilers I don't use.

    Charlton

    Charlton Wilbur, Nov 1, 2006