A simple javascript code not working on Firefox

fulio pen

Hello,

I have a code that works on both the IE and Opera, but not the
Firefox, and I cannot figure out the reason. Following is the page:

http://www.pinyinology.com/test/span2.html

And following is the code:

function chinText()
{
document.getElementById("moon").innerText ="\u6708";

document.getElementById("tree").innerText ="\u6728";

document.getElementById("man").innerText ="\u4eba";

document.getElementById("water").innerText ="\u6c34";
}

Thanks for your expertise and help.
fulio pen

Tom Cole

Hello,

I have a code that works on both the IE and Opera, but not the
Firefox, and I cannot figure out the reason.  Following is the page:

http://www.pinyinology.com/test/span2.html

And following is the code:

function chinText()
{
  document.getElementById("moon").innerText ="\u6708";

document.getElementById("tree").innerText ="\u6728";

document.getElementById("man").innerText ="\u4eba";

document.getElementById("water").innerText ="\u6c34";

}

Thanks for your expertise and help.
fulio pen

Firefox does not support the innerText function. You can use an
alternative, (like innerHTML) which is also not standard, but
supported in most browsers.

fulio pen

Firefox does not support the innerText function. You can use an
alternative, (like innerHTML) which is also not standard, but
supported in most browsers.

Hi, Tom:

innerHTML works well. Thanks a million for your help.

fulio pen

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Tom said:
Firefox does not support the innerText function.

Correct, except that it is a non-function property of element objects.
You can use an alternative, (like innerHTML) which is also not standard,
but supported in most browsers.

`firstChild.nodeValue' (W3C DOM Level 1+) would probably be a viable
alternative here. `textContent' (W3C DOM Level 3 Core) is AFAIK supported
since Gecko 1.7.8 (Firefox 1.5), Opera 9.0.8367, and Safari 3.0.4.

PointedEars