A strange behavior of IE in formatting post data.

Tonio Tanzi

I have some asp pages with a multipart form (for file uploading), some
text inputs and some submit buttons duplicated on the top and bottom of
pages.

If I insert into a text box a text from Microsoft Word with characters
like ’ “ †(apostrophe and quotation marks produced by Word's automatic
character substitution) and press one submit in the top of page, IE
produces incomplete post data.
In fact the first field of post data that will be like this one:

-----------------------------7d501b304ae

is truncated to this:

field_name"

the other fields are correctly formed.

The strange in that if I press the identical submit button in the bottom
of page, IE works correctly.

Other elements to understand the problem:

1.
The submit buttons on top and bottom of pages are really identical
because they are in a separed file that is included in the top and
bottom of the pages dinamically.

2.
I have this behaviour only on some pages, the remaining pages work
correctly also if all the pages are very similar (the differences
between the pages are only on the number and the name of text inputs).

3.
The pages works correctly in other browsers (Firefox, Opera) so it seems
to be a problem of IE and particularly of 6.0 release.

4.
If I test the pages in a local environment (XP + IIS 5.0) they work
correctly.

5.
The site server has Win 2000 server + IIS 5.0.

Someone can help me to solve this mystery?

Thanks

Tonio Tanzi