About C programming language book K&R

ashu

Dear friends,
i am reading this book to learn C programming.Even i had read some
other books but some says it best book.But i am finding it difficult
to understand.May be K&R are too smart and i am too dumb.otherwise
exercises are tough to answer and examples are too advance for a new
comer. What should i do?

Ben Bacarisse

ashu said:
Dear friends,
i am reading this book to learn C programming.Even i had read some
other books but some says it best book.But i am finding it difficult
to understand.May be K&R are too smart and i am too dumb.otherwise
exercises are tough to answer and examples are too advance for a new
comer. What should i do?

Unfortunately there is no simple answer. There are so many factors that
affect how well someone gets on with a particular book that it almost
impossible to give advice. It's not as simple as finding an "easier"
book, because it might be worse for other reasons. You need to find a
book that not only suits your style of learning and your existing
knowledge, but covers what you need it to cover. For example, you might
need a book that also introduces programming ideas rather than simply
the C programming language.

Not a lot of help, I know. Do you have access to a library? If so, you
can give several book a go without spending a lot of money.

ashu

Unfortunately there is no simple answer.  There are so many factors that
affect how well someone gets on with a particular book that it almost
impossible to give advice.  It's not as simple as finding an "easier"
book, because it might be worse for other reasons.  You need to find a
book that not only suits your style of learning and your existing
knowledge, but covers what you need it to cover.  For example, you might
need a book that also introduces programming ideas rather than simply
the C programming language.

Not a lot of help, I know.  Do you have access to a library?  If so, you
can give several book a go without spending a lot of money.

Thankx ben,
i am giving more atention on simple examples and experimenting with
them rather than just reading ,may be i will start gasping idea.i
think thats the authors wanted. Learning from the best has its pros
and cons.
:)

Guest

Thankx ben,
i am giving more atention on simple examples and experimenting with
them rather than just reading ,may be i will start gasping idea.i
think thats the authors wanted. Learning from the best has its pros
and cons.
:)

K&R is a very "dense" book, there is a lot of information packed into very few pages. In my experience of mentoring someone K&R is difficult for programming beginners, one reasons being the lack of "model" answers to the questions. Look for the comp.lang.c wiki a project now moribund (or last time Ilooked it was) but it did provide model answers to K&Rs questions. But if you use them you *must* try to answer the questions yourself first.

Charles Richmond

K&R is a very "dense" book, there is a lot of information packed into very
few pages. In my
experience of mentoring someone K&R is difficult for programming
beginners, one reasons
being the lack of "model" answers to the questions. Look for the
comp.lang.c wiki a project
now moribund (or last time I looked it was) but it did provide model
answers to K&Rs
questions. But if you use them you *must* try to answer the questions
yourself first.

But the density of information is what I *liked* about K&R. And I used K&R
one to learn C
in the beginnin, although it was *not* my first language. I really dislike
the books that
have so much fluff... that you have to read a half dozen pages to come up
with three or four
pieces of *real* information. I think it's called "dumbing down".

Ben Bacarisse

Charles Richmond said:
K&R is a very "dense" book, there is a lot of information packed
into very few pages.
[/QUOTE]
But the density of information is what I *liked* about K&R.

Me too. In fact I now have a phrase: "the K&R of ...". I am always
searching for "the K&R of go", "the K&R of Python" and so on. There are
very few K&Rs out there.

<snip>

Guest

K&R is a very "dense" book, there is a lot of information packed into very
few pages. In my
experience of mentoring someone K&R is difficult for programming
beginners, one reasons
being the lack of "model" answers to the questions. Look for the
comp.lang.c wiki a project
now moribund (or last time I looked it was) but it did provide model
answers to K&Rs
questions. But if you use them you *must* try to answer the questions
yourself first.

But the density of information is what I *liked* about K&R.[/QUOTE]

it was a statement not a critcism. I was attempting to explain why some beginners found it hard going. I loved it, but C was not my first programming language.
And I used K&R one to learn C
in the beginnin, although it was *not* my first language. I really dislike
the books that
have so much fluff...

ditto. But you and I aren't the entirity of the programming community. Cute icons, big margins, cartoons are notmy cup of tea in a programming book. Did Knuth have cartoons?
that you have to read a half dozen pages to come up
with three or four
pieces of *real* information. I think it's called "dumbing down".

ever read any of "Head Up" stuff? They drive me insane.