Adding a WMV to a web page

donh

Hi,

This might be basic but could someone please point me in the right
direction on how to add a WMV movie to a web page.

Any advice on the best way of doing this, as well as any things to be
weary of would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers in anticipation

Don

code_wrong

donh said:
Hi,

This might be basic but could someone please point me in the right
direction on how to add a WMV movie to a web page.

Any advice on the best way of doing this, as well as any things to be
weary of would be greatly appreciated.
this looks useful:
http://www.ourmedia.org/node/5573 see below
One thing to consider: The user should have the choice whether he/she will
download a large file. So maybe the embedding code below should be used on a
linked page .. (i.e. you tell the user what they are about to download, and
give them a link in case they want to follow it)
<object NAME="Player" WIDTH="320" HEIGHT="240" align="left" hspace="10"
type="application/x-oleobject"
CLASSID="CLSID:6BF52A52-394A-11d3-B153-00C04F79FAA6">

<param NAME="URL" VALUE="yourfile.wmv><param>
<param NAME="AUTOSTART" VALUE="false"></param>
<param name="showControls" value="true"></param>

<embed WIDTH="320" HEIGHT="240" align="left" hspace="10" SRC="yourfile.wmv"
TYPE="application/x-oleobject" AUTOSTART="false">

</embed>

</object>

Toby Inkster

donh said:
This might be basic but could someone please point me in the right
direction on how to add a WMV movie to a web page.

verity

Toby said:

Hi Toby, but would that work if you had one main website & wanted to
direct them to other folders on the same servor, containing eg
different indie films.
Verity

verity

code_wrong said:
this looks useful:
http://www.ourmedia.org/node/5573 see below
One thing to consider: The user should have the choice whether he/she will
download a large file. So maybe the embedding code below should be used on a
linked page .. (i.e. you tell the user what they are about to download, and
give them a link in case they want to follow it)
<object NAME="Player" WIDTH="320" HEIGHT="240" align="left" hspace="10"
type="application/x-oleobject"
CLASSID="CLSID:6BF52A52-394A-11d3-B153-00C04F79FAA6">

<param NAME="URL" VALUE="yourfile.wmv><param>
<param NAME="AUTOSTART" VALUE="false"></param>
<param name="showControls" value="true"></param>

<embed WIDTH="320" HEIGHT="240" align="left" hspace="10" SRC="yourfile.wmv"
TYPE="application/x-oleobject" AUTOSTART="false">

</embed>

</object>

I need to do that too & that website seems to offer good advice. thanks
Verity

cwdjrxyz

donh said:
Hi,

This might be basic but could someone please point me in the right
direction on how to add a WMV movie to a web page.

Any advice on the best way of doing this, as well as any things to be
weary of would be greatly appreciated.

The most usual method today uses an ActiveX object with an embed path
within it for most browsers other than IE that do not support ActiveX
for the WMP without special third party plugins. However embed is
invalid code, and never has been part of W3C html. This method works on
most browsers, but gives many errors at the W3C validator. Most media
such as wmv, wma, rm, swf, etc can now be made to work with only valid
code, but you would never know this from looking at the code on sites
of some of the largest media companies.

However one can write a simple ordinary object for playing wmv that
works on most modern browsers and that uses only valid code. See the
code for http://www.cwdjr.info/broadbandMedia/formatsOB/cancanWMV.php .
You can use the object for the player at any level from html 4.01
through xhtml 1.1. The object points to a simple .wvx redirector file
which points to the actual wmv file. If you need help with writing the
..wvx file, I can post an example of one. Note a very high bit rate wmv
for broadband is used here, so buffering might be very long on dialup.
You use a bit rate for the intended audience, and some sites uses up to
3 bit rate wmvs for dialup, low end broadband, and high end broadband.
On a special streaming server you often can encode the various bit
rates together and use code to select the correct bit rate for the
viewing browser. If you have only an ordinary html server, then you
would have to offer a link for each bit rate to be selected by the
user. Microsoft has a free Windows Media Encoder should you need to
make wmv files at various rates from a mpeg video capture of a video.

dorayme

verity said:
Hi Dorayme, people keep asking the questions I want to ask but feel
might be too simple :)
That also seems to be a good site to read, especially because it also
highlights pitfalls. I'm getting better at this stuff, thanks again,
Verity :)

The simple are destined to inherit the earth, so not to worry...

(btw, it's dorayme, small "d" ... I know its silly, but I am very
sensitive...)

Toby Inkster

verity said:
but would that work if you had one main website & wanted to direct them
to other folders on the same servor,

<ul>
containing eg different indie films.

No, this technique only works for Hollywood blockbusters. Independent
films need different coding. ;-)

donh

Thank you for your many replies :) I have to print this off as I dont
have Internet on the computer with my html program on at the moment, I
know I will need it :)

Lust a little more info these are safety films I have been asked to run
for my work. They wont be going on the Internet each movie will live
on the hard drive. I don't know how much this makes a difference.
Having said that I guess I should say that the movies form part of a
public awareness thing that the powers at be would like to see in a
kiosk type display.

Any examples of code would be fantastic, especially of a player that
can be customised for size as the people will be using a touch screen.
Sorry I guess I should of said all this in the beginning.

Thanks again

Don

Travis Newbury

Kind of on topic, but has everyone noticed how many media companies
(FOX news, Sony, ABC, etc...), are moving to Flash Video? The cost for
the encoders and streaming is a bit more pricey, but since most small
websites only offer progressive download, the cost is not an issue for
the little guys.

Some advantages are; it works on any machine flash works on, you have
unbelievable control over the presentation, and integration of the
video with the web page, people have a harder time stealing your video,
no special player needed as the player is Flash, and best of all, it
makes it through most corporate firewalls.

If the trend continues, we should start to see content delivery
companies (akamai etc...) offering FLV streaming at similar pricing as
other streaming content. We direct all of our clients in this
direction. And as soon as they see the kinds of presentations you can
produce when the streaming media can interact both visually and
programmatically with your web page they are usually sold.

code_wrong

Travis Newbury said:
[...]

how do they do that Travis? ... I was looking at this music player the other
day:
http://musicplayer.sourceforge.net/
is there one for movies available? or are these companies designing an
building their own?

donh

Hi Me again,

Tried your code and although the player loads my movie doesn't load/run
when the play button is pressed. I have checked and I think I have
done the pathname correctly. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Also followed link included and on second viewing of web page my
browser just shows an empty white page?

Thanks again for any help available.

code_wrong

donh said:
Hi Me again,

Tried your code and although the player loads my movie doesn't load/run
when the play button is pressed. I have checked and I think I have
done the pathname correctly. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Also followed link included and on second viewing of web page my
browser just shows an empty white page?

Thanks again for any help available.

aha .. looks like there are errors in that code try this:

<object NAME="Player" WIDTH="320" HEIGHT="240" align="left" hspace="10"
type="application/x-oleobject"
CLASSID="CLSID:6BF52A52-394A-11d3-B153-00C04F79FAA6">

<param name="url" value="mywmv.wmv" />
<param url="autostart" value="false" />
<param name="showControls" value="true" />

<embed WIDTH="320" HEIGHT="240" align="left" hspace="10" SRC="mywmv.wmv"
TYPE="application/x-oleobject" AUTOSTART="false">

</embed>

</object>

That website appears to be blank now .. no idea what's going on there ..
maybe check it again later

donh

Thank you very much that works fine now :)

At the risk of stretching help too far... too achieve my aim I need
some selection buttons to allow the user to select which movie file.
Although as you can see my ability is very basic I wodered if I could
achieve this with using behaviors and I guess layers. Am I right in
trying that route or is there a far simpilar way of selecting movies

Thanks again

code_wrong

donh said:
Thank you very much that works fine now :)

At the risk of stretching help too far... too achieve my aim I need
some selection buttons to allow the user to select which movie file.
Although as you can see my ability is very basic I wodered if I could
achieve this with using behaviors and I guess layers. Am I right in
trying that route or is there a far simpilar way of selecting movies

Thanks again

I think you want to use one web page to display a number of movies. There is
no need to do that. You can have several pages with the same controls
(links/ link buttons) on it .. but with a different movie on each just like
a regular website. One of your pages can be the index to the rest (the
homepage)

verity

Toby said:
<ul>

No, this technique only works for Hollywood blockbusters. Independent
films need different coding. ;-)

I think my teen thinks they're the next Spielberg ;)

verity

dorayme said:
The simple are destined to inherit the earth, so not to worry...

(btw, it's dorayme, small "d" ... I know its silly, but I am very
sensitive...)

Hi dorayme, duly noted :)

dorayme

verity said:
I think my teen thinks they're the next Spielberg ;)

Not a promising ideal, he is not at all first class... he has no
real idea about what makes for a good film, or at least has not
the courage to go there.