Advice needed about how to populate a gridview asynchronously

Exch

Hi,
I have a web form in which the user chooses some parameters that will
be passed to a stored procedure, that performs some complex queries.
The stored procedure fills some records in a temporary table. The
gridview in the web form uses these records as source. Sometimes the
stored procedures runs for a lot of minutes, so the page returns
timeout errors. I’d like to run this SP and return immediately the
page with a message that warn the user that the results will be
displayed as soon as possible. Obviously I should (using javascript?)
verify the status of the SP, then I should fill the gridview.

Could you please tell me in which way can I obtain the behaviour I
want? Should I use webservice?

thank you