Advice Needed - Templating

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by David, Jul 28, 2004.

  1. David

    David Guest

    Hi,

    I'm currently in the planning stages and would like some advice on
    site/page design. The goal is to allow a group of developers the
    ability to customize and slap together a web site using page
    templates(including CSS, htm, and aspx pages) and custom server
    controls(which are themsevlves customizable).

    We're using 1.1 of the framework. The group of developers wont have
    Visual Studio so perhaps WebMatrix is an option, or just perhaps a set
    of configuration files may work.

    The idea is to have the ability to create a site with up to 100% of
    the possible options, or just a subset. The developers will be aware
    of all the available functionality but the customer needs will
    determine the site needs. A particular site could be frames-based or
    not, have a horizontal menu or tabs etc. We're trying not to require
    the developers to code anything other than html or css.

    So far I'm considering using a combination of server controls,
    configuration files(xml-based), dummy htm and aspx pages and code
    snippets using WebMatrix or perhaps dreamweaver.

    Is there such a thing as a site schema? Is it reasonable to use xml
    and xlink to define a site structure?

    Quite abstract, still in the conceptual phase.

    Thanks

    David

    David, Jul 28, 2004