    something just browser-based, without the need for downloads and installs,
    that would be fantastic.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    draken, Jan 6, 2007

  2. draken

    Mike.Duffy Guest

    I friend of mine had his "secure" bank account drained by a web site that
    modified his favourites to point to a pirate site that looked just like the
    real one. It passed through his requests to the "secure" site, (via a
    secured connection of course) but kept track of his credentials in order to
    drain his account later. I never do on-line banking (nor CC purchases) just
    to defeat trojan keyloggers, but this attack was even more sophisticated.

    Now, if the police can just get the Russian police to cooperate, he'll get
    his money back.

    Mike.Duffy, Jan 6, 2007

  3. draken

    draken Guest

    Sorry about this, but I definitely need to reassert my question and needs...

    1)User in either IE6, IE7, Mozfamily 1.5+, Mozfamily2.0+, SafariX goes to
    the site and signs up for syncing
    2)We look and get(not delete nor categorize) their favorites
    3)They are then saved to a db
    4)We then can add in the favorites they are not owning in the other browsers
    they visit with

    This allows a user on a laptop to have their favorites whenever they are at
    the office on their MAC, or jsut to log into the site to view the favorites
    with a direct link.

    I am not talking about directly altering through deletion or reorganization.

    Thanks again, and thank you for the response.

    draken, Jan 6, 2007
  4. draken

    RobG Guest

    I don't think so, you've been given a reasonable answer.

    You can't do that using javascript - AFAIK no browser will let you read
    someones bookmarks using javascript. Adding a bookmark using script
    requires the user to navigate through a dialogue, you can't just add
    them in the background. Even if you could work out which ones to add,
    doing so would likely be painful.

    Which infers that you will re-organise the bookmarks in the 'not
    owning' browser to include the missing ones.
    There are various subscription-based services that do this, however it
    requires software other than javascript in a web page and may well be
    browser or platform specific - .Mac for example will only synchronise
    bookmarks with OS X and Safari, though you can use other browsers to
    access the synchronised list.
    The concept of synchronisation infers reorganisation to some extent.

    Do you have an example of that?

    RobG, Jan 7, 2007