Am looking for some help with favorites

draken

Basically, what I am looking to do is to sync up browsers favorites via a
website without a download. I thought of javascript when first doing this,
as I know, mozilla would allow me to pull them directly just with the js,
but I do not want to have go beyond javascript and PHP.

I have been going over making a mozilla extension as well as getting into
some programming for a toolbar(I know some c/c++ and c#), but, if I can do
something just browser-based, without the need for downloads and installs,
that would be fantastic.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mike.Duffy

Rik said:
.. The second a site has the capabilities to remove

I friend of mine had his "secure" bank account drained by a web site that
modified his favourites to point to a pirate site that looked just like the
real one. It passed through his requests to the "secure" site, (via a
secured connection of course) but kept track of his credentials in order to
drain his account later. I never do on-line banking (nor CC purchases) just
to defeat trojan keyloggers, but this attack was even more sophisticated.

Now, if the police can just get the Russian police to cooperate, he'll get
his money back.

draken

Sorry about this, but I definitely need to reassert my question and needs...

1)User in either IE6, IE7, Mozfamily 1.5+, Mozfamily2.0+, SafariX goes to
the site and signs up for syncing
2)We look and get(not delete nor categorize) their favorites
3)They are then saved to a db
4)We then can add in the favorites they are not owning in the other browsers
they visit with

This allows a user on a laptop to have their favorites whenever they are at
the office on their MAC, or jsut to log into the site to view the favorites
with a direct link.

I am not talking about directly altering through deletion or reorganization.

Thanks again, and thank you for the response.

RobG

draken said:
Sorry about this, but I definitely need to reassert my question and needs...

I don't think so, you've been given a reasonable answer.

1)User in either IE6, IE7, Mozfamily 1.5+, Mozfamily2.0+, SafariX goes to
the site and signs up for syncing
2)We look and get(not delete nor categorize) their favorites

You can't do that using javascript - AFAIK no browser will let you read
someones bookmarks using javascript. Adding a bookmark using script
requires the user to navigate through a dialogue, you can't just add
them in the background. Even if you could work out which ones to add,
doing so would likely be painful.

3)They are then saved to a db
4)We then can add in the favorites they are not owning in the other browsers
they visit with

Which infers that you will re-organise the bookmarks in the 'not
owning' browser to include the missing ones.
This allows a user on a laptop to have their favorites whenever they are at
the office on their MAC, or jsut to log into the site to view the favorites
with a direct link.

There are various subscription-based services that do this, however it
requires software other than javascript in a web page and may well be
browser or platform specific - .Mac for example will only synchronise
bookmarks with OS X and Safari, though you can use other browsers to
access the synchronised list.
I am not talking about directly altering through deletion or reorganization.

The concept of synchronisation infers reorganisation to some extent.

Do you have an example of that?