[ANN] aws/s3 0.1.0 (initial release)

Marcel Molina Jr.

This is the initial release of aws/s3, a ruby library for Amazon's Simple Store
Service's (S3) REST API.

It implements the entire REST API aiming to be simple, comprehensive and
extensible.

Aside from the basics, it supports ACLs (reading and writing), BitTorrent
downloads and bucket access logging (enabling, configuring, fetching). Data can
be streamed both up and down.

Installation instructions, a tutorial and API documentation can be found here:

http://amazon.rubyforge.org

This is the initial release, but it has comprehensive test coverage and we
are using it in production at 37signals.

Thanks!
marcel

Lyle Johnson

This is the initial release of aws/s3, a ruby library for Amazon's Simple Store
Service's (S3) REST API...

Wow. So has "Ruby S3 library" become the new "Ruby templating
library"? It seems like we're getting daily announcements about these.
;)

Ryan Grove

Lyle said:
Wow. So has "Ruby S3 library" become the new "Ruby templating
library"? It seems like we're getting daily announcements about these.
;)

Yeah, I'm wishing I hadn't announced Net::Amazon::S3 yesterday. I like
aws/s3 more than my own library. :)

Marcel Molina Jr.

Thanks Marcel! I've been investigating S3 storage for my upcoming app.
How does this library compare with s33r
<http://rubyforge.org/projects/s33r/>?

Hey Shane,

From looking around at the s33r code for a bit, it appears to be one of the
more complete S3 libraries I've seen. It supports similar functionality to
aws/s3. The differences are mostly in the way the library is decomposed and
the API it exposes to you, its client. Sort of like, what's the difference
between Ruby and Python? In some ways not a lot. It comes back to what people
prefer. What they find natural and comfortable.

At a glance s33r seems like a fine library. It would be up to you to determine which is
a better fit for you. I'd encourage you to try them both out.

marcel

Marcel Molina Jr.

Should I be getting this after following the install instructions in the
aws/s3 Rubydocs?

theBox:~ muppet
$ irb -rubygems
irb(main):001:0> require 'aws/s3'
NameError: uninitialized constant XML
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/aws-
s3-0.1.1/lib/aws/s3/extensions.rb:119:in
`const_missing'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/aws-s3-0.1.1/lib/aws/s3.rb:59
from
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `require'

from (irb):1

It looks somewhat like the problems that sprung up in another stack trace
someone posted. Upon removing const_missing_from_s3_library, I still get
the following error:

/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/aws-s3-0.1.1/bin/../lib/aws/s3.rb:60:NameError:
uninitialized constant XML

I've got xml-simple installed, so I don't know what's going on. Any ideas?

Hey Tiffani,

That's my bad. I confirmed what you are experiencing was happening with the
0.1.1 release. It's fixed in the 0.1.2 release. Just 'sudo gem update aws-s3'
for the fix.

Thanks!
marcel