Any change I make to web.config gives server application unavailable error!

Andy

If I open, edit and save the web.config file directly on the
webserver, the
web server becomes unavailable. When I reset IIS, I get the 'Server
Application Unavailable' message appear for that web site. The change
being
made was minor, and worked locally.

Restarting IIS or the server has no affect.
Deleting the Temporary ASP.NET files has no effect.

The only way to resolve it is to create an identical web site in IIS,
pointing to exactly the same code, with the revised web.config.

This has happened to me twice now.

I am using Windows Server 2003 Web Edition and asp.net 1.1.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Guest

If I open, edit and save the web.config file directly on the
webserver, the
web server becomes unavailable. When I reset IIS, I get the 'Server
Application Unavailable' message appear for that web site. The change
being
made was minor, and worked locally.

Restarting IIS or the server has no affect.
Deleting the Temporary ASP.NET files has no effect.

The only way to resolve it is to create an identical web site in IIS,
pointing to exactly the same code, with the revised web.config.

This has happened to me twice now.

I am using Windows Server 2003 Web Edition and asp.net 1.1.

Any ideas? Thanks!

maybe something with permissions on the web.config file?

Shane Bauer

Hello andy,

Do you have access to the Event Viewer? If so, there should be a message
detailing the problem.

Shane

bruce barker

most likely you have pages that reference each other without explicit
reference directive on the page. during the local compile, if they are
compiled in the same batch ok, else fail. this is because asp.net
compiles several pages into the same dll (a batch), so pages that end up
in the same batch can reference each other. if they end up in different
dlls they can not unless an explicit reference is specified.

you should check the application log to see the actual error.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Andy

Thanks everyone.

There is nothing in the Application Log at all unfortunately

I do have 2 aspx pages that reference the same code behind page -
would that have an effect?

Bruce could you elaborate on your suggestion, it sounds like a
possibility..

I have inherited this site, and although it is substantially better
than it was, there is still some unusual stuff going on!