any program can generate block diagrams?

Aiken

I provide RTL code and the program will generate block diagrams with
connection between blocks

Is it possible?

Mike Treseler

Aiken said:
I provide RTL code and the program will generate block diagrams with
connection between blocks

Is it possible?

Yes, see:
http://mysite.verizon.net/miketreseler/stack.pdf
I use the quartus RTL viewer which requires a license.

The ise webpack viewer is free, but not as pretty.
Emacs vhdl-mode speedbar is free, but uses text.
Everything else is expensive or fussy.

-- Mike Treseler

Dave

I provide RTL code and the program will generate block diagrams with
connection between blocks

Is it possible?

Three free utilities might help: doxygen, VHdocL, and VHDLdoc.

Even though doxygen was originally made for software (C/C++/Java), it
does have a VHDL mode and I'm told they've made improvements to the
VHDL support.

I've played a bit with VHDLdoc and VHdocL. I'm not a fan of VHDLdoc -
too many restrictions on coding style for my liking. VHdocL is pretty
simple and might get you something like a block diagram quickly.

Hope this helps.

Dave

HT-Lab

Jeff Cunningham said:
Mentor used to have a product called Renoir that could do this. Apparently
the name has changed and searching for it leads here:

That name has changed probably close to 10 years ago :)

It is now called HDL Designer/Author and it is a great product (but as you
mentioned not cheap).

Hans
www.ht-lab.com

Marcus Harnisch

Aiken said:
I provide RTL code and the program will generate block diagrams with
connection between blocks

SpringSoft (formerly Novas) Verdi. Costs a bit, though. Best RTL debug
tool I have used so far.

Regards
Marcus

Petter Gustad

Aiken said:
I provide RTL code and the program will generate block diagrams with
connection between blocks

If you have access to a Synopsys Design Compiler license you can do
this with the create_schematic and plot -output filename.ps commands,
but it might be more detailed that what you want depending upon which
blocks you set_dont_touch etc.

Petter