    based on unix. If any of you are interested, you can contact me at
    .

    *go and have a little fun*

    1010, Nov 29, 2005

  2. 1010

    BobR Guest

    1010 wrote in message ...
    If you only GNU what yer doin'!

    BobR, Nov 29, 2005

  3. 1010

    roberts.noah Guest

    Why do something so boring as yet another unix? Why not do something
    new and interesting? Unix has been implemented too many times and
    you'd be competing with all those that have much more time behind them.
    Go to citeseer and look at some of the NEW ideas about OS design that
    are being tossed about. Ever hear of an "exokernel"?

    roberts.noah, Nov 29, 2005
  4. 1010

    Ian Guest

    why reinvent the wheel?

    Ian

    Ian, Nov 29, 2005
  5. 1010

    raj Guest

    hi,

    I am interested in this kind of think. But i have to do to be a part of
    this implementation??

    With regards
    Rajat

    raj, Nov 29, 2005
  6. 1010

    1010 Guest

    You know, you're absolutely right. Unix/Linux is getting old in my
    book-and there are a shit ton of operating systems out there for it.

    We really need to do something new. And yes, I have heard of exokernels.
    The thing is, when I talked about this before everyone made it sound like
    programming an OS was such a daunting task-which it can be, but so the
    hell what? Anyway, that's why I wanted to base it on unix or
    linux-because most of the work is already done.

    But dammit-I really think we can do better than what's out there. It's
    just that I can't find enough people who are interested in doing it, and
    it would take me literally forever to do it myself. I only have a number
    of things I want to do with this. 'newism' is a trait I am really looking
    for.

    Anybody want to get together and give it a shot?

    1010, Nov 29, 2005
  8. 1010

    jing Guest

    hi 1010, i'm curious about what goal would u achieve by designing a new
    open source OS. for research use or for something else? if i may ask.

    jing.

    jing, Nov 29, 2005
  9. 1010

    roberts.noah Guest

    Well you might get more interest if you just start working on it. Come
    up with a plan and some ideas. Instead of saying, "Let's build an OS,"
    have something more concrete to offer. What are the goals of this
    project? What is this new OS going to offer that isn't offered by
    something else? Get a skeleton design of sorts. I see you already
    have some interest so I wish you luck. I wouldn't have time for such a
    thing right now - I don't even get to work on my AI anymore.

    roberts.noah, Nov 30, 2005
  10. 1010

    Borax Man Guest

    Because, if people didn't reinvent the wheel, we would be driving cars
    with stone tyres.

    I think Unix can be used for inspiration, but there no need for another
    Unix. A new, novel style of OS though? Definately!

    Borax Man, Nov 30, 2005
  11. 1010

    Puppet_Sock Guest

    Did you have a C++ language question?