ASP 3.0 and ASP.NET 2.0 Side by Side

groups.james

I have a situation where an existing ASP 3.0 application is currently
in production. The site will be undergoing some redesign and I need to
support both the current pages (all ASP 3.0 relying on a number of VB6
COM objects) and new pages which will be written in C# , .NET 2.0
Framework.

I have done a small test on a test server, installed Windows 2003, .NET
2.0. I have installed all of the requirements for the old ASP 3.0
site. It runs just fine after tweaking a few settings. I have coded a
few test pages (for some simple new functionality) and am attempting to
deploy them to the site.

I have been successful in only one way, not the way I expected.

If I deploy the .aspx file and the .cs file to the same directory (for
my test the root virtual directory) everything seems to work. If I
deploy the .aspx file to the root directory and deploy the .cs code
behind file to a directory named App_Code I get an error stating the
..cs file cannot be found.

I would rather deploy the code files in the App_Code directory or as a
..dll in the /bin folder (which didn't work either, same error) as
opposed to leaving ths .cs files in the same directory as the content
files.

Is there any documentation regarding best practices for running an ASP
3.0 site along side an ASP.NET 2.0 site and I will not be able to just
swith over from one to the other...it will be a logical progression of
moving functionality from one technology to the other.

Thanks in advance

James

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=F6ran_Andersson?=

You can mix ASP pages and ASP.NET pages without problem.

They are completely separate techniques, though, so you won't be able to
share session variables between them, but from what you said that
shouldn't be a problem. You can use cookies if you need to communicate
some values between them.

Use the Deploy option in the Build menu to make a deployment build. What
you deploy from that is only the aspx pages and the dll files, not the
source code.

You can download the Deployment Project Addon for Visual Studio to get
further control over the deployment build. Add a deployment project to
the solution, and you can for example make the build non-editable, which
will turn the aspx files into empty marker files and put everything in
the dll files.

?

Göran Andersson said:
You can mix ASP pages and ASP.NET pages without problem.

They are completely separate techniques, though, so you won't be able to
share session variables between them, but from what you said that
shouldn't be a problem. You can use cookies if you need to communicate
some values between them.

Use the Deploy option in the Build menu to make a deployment build. What
you deploy from that is only the aspx pages and the dll files, not the
source code.

When checking, I see that the option in the Build menu is named Publish
Web Site.