ASP/IIS errors on Custom COM call

Steve

All --

This occasionally happens, and there's no set pattern on why this
is... perhaps it happens a few times every few months or so.

I have a custom ATL COM object that handles data from multiple pages
and sites on my server. Occasionally, I'll get the following errors:

ASP_0241|CreateObject_Exception|-|ASP_0241|CreateObject_Exception|42|ASP_0177_:_c0000005|Server.CreateObject_Failed
500

Which sometimes is followed by (in no particular order)
800a01fb|An_exception_occurred:_'function name'

function name isn't always the same, but is always one in my COM
object.

The problem associated with this error is that the object cannot be
created again until IIS is restarted. This object controls a very
vital part of the site, and all users will typically get the:

Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0241'

CreateObject Exception

/Site/account.asp

The CreateObject of '(null)' caused exception C0000005.

Server object error 'ASP 0177 : c0000005'

Server.CreateObject Failed

/Site/account.asp, line 42

c0000005

This custom COM object has been successfully deployed for nearly two
years, and under intense traffic at times. One of the things I'm
thinking is that I return an S_OK when I trap an error... so

try{
blah
}
catch (mycustomerrorclass& err)
{}
catch (...)
{
tell something an odd error occured

}
return S_OK;

It seems like once the (...) is caught, the other errors appear... or
vice versa. Do you think I should be returning E_FAIL in that catch
all statement?

This COM object uses no external COM objects (ado, etc). The only
idea I can think of if to try the E_FAIL, but I thought I successfully
have caught the error. Is this not the case?

Thanks -- Steve

Steve

Doesn't appear so. I would imagine if it were a permissions thing it
would do it consistiently. Hasn't happened in two days (so far) so
I'm still trying to track it down.

Thanks for your reply though!

Craig

Any luck in resolving this issue? We seem to suddenly experience the same
thing. Sometimes, after a server reboot, we will start getting the same
error. I can usually fix it by installing MDAC and Windows Script, then
rebooting the server, but it will eventually creep back. We also have a
custom COM object which has ran successfully for nearly three years.