asp.net 2.0 gridview scrolling text in one column

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Phil Johnson, Feb 6, 2008.

  1. Phil Johnson

    Phil Johnson Guest

    Hi

    I am pretty new to asp.net gridviews.

    I need to get the text in one column to scroll, I have little screen space
    and one column is normally empty, but is sometimes quite long.

    Has anybody done this? Can I just put a Marquee into the column to acheive
    this? if so, how do I do that?

    Thanks

    --
    Regards,

    Phillip Johnson (MCSD For .NET)
    PJ Software Development
    www.pjsoftwaredevelopment.com

    Phil Johnson, Feb 6, 2008

  2. Hello Phil,

    Didn't understand what's your problem.
    Could your please explain it detaily?

    ---
    WBR,

    Michael Nemtsev [MVP], Feb 6, 2008

  3. Eliyahu Goldin, Feb 6, 2008
  4. Phil Johnson

    Phil Johnson Guest

    Hi, I have a small resolution to work to.

    One column in the grid is normally empty, but if it has text the text is
    long, so I want the column to be narrow but to be able to see a string that
    could be around 100 characters long if need be.

    My first thoughts are if I could have this cell to scroll (automatically
    with no user interaction) then that will keep the column narrow but allow the
    whole text to be displayed. I know to have text scrolling automatically, you
    can use the Marquee element control (or you could... its a while since I used
    it so I will have to check its still around) but I'm unsure how to use that
    inside a cell in a gridview.

    Any suggestions are appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Phil Johnson, Feb 6, 2008
  5. Phil Johnson

    Phil Johnson Guest

    Hi Eliyha,

    Thanks for the response.

    The site is to displayed on TV screens though with no human interaction so I
    need the text to scroll automatically.

    Will you suggestion do that, or would it just display scroll bars that a
    user would then have to click to scroll?

    Thanks,

    Phil Johnson, Feb 6, 2008