ASP.NET 2.0 Master Pages

dm1608

Hello, all. I'm new to ASP.NET 2.0 and have been using Dreamweaver MX 2004
for about 2 years now and PHP. When I heard ASP.NET 2.0 allows master
pages, I thought that I should give it a try. One of the things I was
wondering about is if it is possible to easily use some of the many
available HTML templates that are on the web for designing a professional
looking website.

In Dreamweaver MX or whatever, I would buy a template and make some minor
changes to the editable regions defined within the template. I didn't have
to really create the webpage, the CSS and page layout and graphics were
already prepared.

Does anyone know if this is possible in ASP.NET 2.0? Are there particular
kinds of templates that I need? Can I easily convert existing templates to
work in ASP.NET 2.0? Can anyone recommend any good websites?

Thanks for all your help.

clintonG

I would say yes, any canned template can be reused but you need to learn how
to convert it. For example, only the HTML in the body of the canned template
is going to be reused as the prolog and the head for HTML files are written
into the .master file. There are other issues transferring CSS when using
Themes and Skins but its all do-able given the time to learn this new model.

I don't know of any defintive tutorials in the context you are asking about
but the following resources may prove helpful noting many of the documents
that are out there may discuss issues that were present during the beta but
have been changed after 2.0 was RTM.

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

[1]
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/04/06/ASPNET20MasterPages/default.aspx
[2] http://msdn2.microsoft.com/library/wtxbf3hh(en-us,vs.80).aspx

dm1608

Thanks for the kind reply.

I printed your suggestions and will read later tonight.

I hope some of these template companies start making/selling templates
specifically for ASP.NET 2.0. That would be nice.