    I am looking for some tutorials/resources from which I can
    learn how to write ASP.net websites in C# - does anyone
    have any links?

    Action, Jun 15, 2006

  2. Action

    Mark Rae Guest

    1) Launch your Internet browser (IE, FireFox, Netscape, Opera etc)

    2) Navigate to http://www.google.com

    3) Enter the text below in the box:

    "ASP.NET" "C#" tutorial

    4) Hit the button

    Mark Rae, Jun 15, 2006

  3. Action

    saywhat Guest

    Ummm, isn't this why we have usenet? The man wants to know where the
    COMMUNITY thinks worthwhile tutorials are, and which of those would be
    useful.

    Google searches can turn up a whole lot of nothing, in case you haven't
    noticed.

    Cold, man, cold.....

    saywhat, Jun 15, 2006
  4. There's something known as Netiquette. The idea is that if you are going
    to ask for help, you should at least try to help yourself first. If that
    fails, then impose on others.

    It may be the original poster did already try googling, but it seems many
    people do not. He certainly made no mention of it in his post.

    It's a "give a man a fish" versus "teach a man to fish" kind of deal.

    Erik Funkenbusch, Jun 15, 2006
  5. While I agree with Mark, that you can find a plethora of tutorials via
    google, there are some great videos on www.asp.net

    Erik Funkenbusch, Jun 15, 2006
  6. Action

    Mark Rae Guest

    Excellent analogy.

    Mark Rae, Jun 15, 2006
  7. Action

    saywhat Guest

    Sorry, I don't agree at all. I have had much better use of my time asking
    experts WHERE to look than using google.

    MS offers some excellent archived webcasts about this topic as well. But,
    as I am not a guru/expert, I watched this thread to see if there was any
    particular thing
    I was missing, rather than direct the man there.

    But since this is not forthcoming, I recommend the archived webcasts highly.
    msdn.microsoft.com should lead you to it.

    And at asp.net, some of the info's useful and lots of it is filler.

    saywhat, Jun 15, 2006
  8. Action

    clintonG Guest

    google: C# for C++ developers

    That phrase turned up an awful lot of FAQs and other resources so I have to
    agree I would have been a bit more creative and started by searching the web
    when looking for "links" which were asked for as any I could provide are
    just going to turn up by searching anyway.

    Then I follow up in the newsgroups for refining what I thought I learned
    from searching the web or what could not be found given a reasonable effort.

    I would also submit the same search using the google site: filter...

    C# for C++ developers site:msdn2.microsoft.com

    That's how you get some "Action" ainna? ;-)

    <%= Clinton Gallagher
    NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com

    clintonG, Jun 15, 2006
  9. Action

    Action Guest

    I tried this first & found nothing very useful in the first couple of pages.
    That's why I posted here.

    Action, Jun 16, 2006
  10. Action

    Action Guest

    I am not really looking for C# tutorials. I can
    pick up C# without problems.

    I am looking for tutorials on how to write ASP.net
    websites using C#. I haven't found anything relevant
    till now. Maybe I am not searching correctly.

    Action, Jun 16, 2006
  11. MS published a pretty good tutorial in its ASP.NET QuickStart :

    http://asp.net/quickstart/aspnet/Default.aspx

    Make sure you select the C# language in the dropdown at the top right.

    You can install it locally by downloading/installing the .Net Framework 2.0 SDK :
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...99-b7b4-4f47-a244-c96d69c35dec&displaylang=en

    One of the best online ASP.NET tutorials is Macon State College's :

    http://msconline.maconstate.edu/tutorials/ASPNET20/default.htm

    Although it focuses on VB.NET, it's methodology, structure and thoroughness are quite good.

    I regularly stop by the Code Project and review the latest ASP.NET articles. Many use C#:
    http://www.codeproject.com/info/latest.asp

    And, of course, dissecting the code in any of the VS Starter Kits will teach you a lot :
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/downloads/starterkits/

    Juan T. Llibre, Jun 16, 2006
  12. Action

    Guest Guest

    Is this the Mark Rae I knew in a former life at BEM (Enterpirse House Mar96
    to May97) ?

    Lee :eek:)

    Appologies for the post here, the EMail address in Mark's profile is being
    returned as a non-valid.

    Guest, Jun 16, 2006
  13. Action

    Mark Rae Guest

    Blimey! Lee Hayes as I live and breathe! There's a blast from the past!

    How's things, mate? Did that system ever work in the end...? LOL!
    Yeah - helps keep the spam down a bit...

    You can reach me through here: http://www.markrae.com

    Mark Rae, Jun 16, 2006
  14. Action

    Jon Paal Guest

  15. Action

    Action Guest

    Thanx a lot for that link - gave me a good start for asp.net - exactly
    what I was looking for.

    I am a reasonably experienced programmer but have
    done very little web programming, so I am just trying
    to get going here - need some pointers as to what
    direction to go & what stuff to learn.

    There is an existing server program and a native
    client. The native client is an Win32 exe. I have to
    add a web based client for the server - I cannot
    make changes to the server. This is not a live
    project - this is just something I am doing to get
    a handle on building web based programs.

    So this is what I think should be my general high
    level design. - Have a middle tier program which
    communicates to the server & generates
    DHTML/Ajax - this generated DHTML will be
    the web based client. (Ajax because I am looking
    to learn some Ajax :) )

    Does this sound right?

    Is it possible to write a C# program which
    communicates with the server & also generates
    the client DHTML? Or will I need the middle
    layer to be split into 2 programs - one which communicates
    with the server & another which talks to the first one &
    generates the DHTML?

    What kind of C# program do I need?
    "ASP.NET web application"
    "ASP.NET web service"
    "Empty Web Project"
    (these the Visual studio choices?")

    Do I need to use ISAPI? How, where?

    Sorry if my questions sound stupid. I am very new at
    this & I am not finding any information about how all
    the different components come together.

    Action, Jun 20, 2006