asp.net C# tutorials

Action

Hi,
I am a reasonably experienced programmer who has programmed
extensively in C & C++. I know a little bit of C#.

I am looking for some tutorials/resources from which I can
learn how to write ASP.net websites in C# - does anyone
have any links?

saywhat

Ummm, isn't this why we have usenet? The man wants to know where the
COMMUNITY thinks worthwhile tutorials are, and which of those would be
useful.

Google searches can turn up a whole lot of nothing, in case you haven't
noticed.

Cold, man, cold.....

Erik Funkenbusch

Ummm, isn't this why we have usenet? The man wants to know where the
COMMUNITY thinks worthwhile tutorials are, and which of those would be
useful.

There's something known as Netiquette. The idea is that if you are going
to ask for help, you should at least try to help yourself first. If that
fails, then impose on others.

It may be the original poster did already try googling, but it seems many
people do not. He certainly made no mention of it in his post.

It's a "give a man a fish" versus "teach a man to fish" kind of deal.

Erik Funkenbusch

Hi,
I am a reasonably experienced programmer who has programmed
extensively in C & C++. I know a little bit of C#.

I am looking for some tutorials/resources from which I can
learn how to write ASP.net websites in C# - does anyone
have any links?

While I agree with Mark, that you can find a plethora of tutorials via
google, there are some great videos on www.asp.net

saywhat

Sorry, I don't agree at all. I have had much better use of my time asking
experts WHERE to look than using google.

MS offers some excellent archived webcasts about this topic as well. But,
as I am not a guru/expert, I watched this thread to see if there was any
particular thing
I was missing, rather than direct the man there.

But since this is not forthcoming, I recommend the archived webcasts highly.
msdn.microsoft.com should lead you to it.

And at asp.net, some of the info's useful and lots of it is filler.

clintonG

google: C# for C++ developers

That phrase turned up an awful lot of FAQs and other resources so I have to
agree I would have been a bit more creative and started by searching the web
when looking for "links" which were asked for as any I could provide are
just going to turn up by searching anyway.

Then I follow up in the newsgroups for refining what I thought I learned
from searching the web or what could not be found given a reasonable effort.

I would also submit the same search using the google site: filter...

C# for C++ developers site:msdn2.microsoft.com

That's how you get some "Action" ainna? ;-)

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com

Action

Mark said:
1) Launch your Internet browser (IE, FireFox, Netscape, Opera etc)

2) Navigate to http://www.google.com

3) Enter the text below in the box:

"ASP.NET" "C#" tutorial

4) Hit the button

I tried this first & found nothing very useful in the first couple of pages.
That's why I posted here.

Action

clintonG said:
C# for C++ developers site:msdn2.microsoft.com

I am not really looking for C# tutorials. I can
pick up C# without problems.

I am looking for tutorials on how to write ASP.net
websites using C#. I haven't found anything relevant
till now. Maybe I am not searching correctly.

Juan T. Llibre

MS published a pretty good tutorial in its ASP.NET QuickStart :

http://asp.net/quickstart/aspnet/Default.aspx

Make sure you select the C# language in the dropdown at the top right.

You can install it locally by downloading/installing the .Net Framework 2.0 SDK :
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...99-b7b4-4f47-a244-c96d69c35dec&displaylang=en

One of the best online ASP.NET tutorials is Macon State College's :

http://msconline.maconstate.edu/tutorials/ASPNET20/default.htm

Although it focuses on VB.NET, it's methodology, structure and thoroughness are quite good.

I regularly stop by the Code Project and review the latest ASP.NET articles. Many use C#:
http://www.codeproject.com/info/latest.asp

And, of course, dissecting the code in any of the VS Starter Kits will teach you a lot :
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/downloads/starterkits/

Guest

Is this the Mark Rae I knew in a former life at BEM (Enterpirse House Mar96
to May97) ?

Lee :eek:)

Appologies for the post here, the EMail address in Mark's profile is being
returned as a non-valid.

Mark Rae

Is this the Mark Rae I knew in a former life at BEM (Enterpirse House
Mar96
to May97) ?

Lee :eek:)

Blimey! Lee Hayes as I live and breathe! There's a blast from the past!

How's things, mate? Did that system ever work in the end...? LOL!
Appologies for the post here, the EMail address in Mark's profile is being
returned as a non-valid.

Yeah - helps keep the spam down a bit...

You can reach me through here: http://www.markrae.com

Action

Juan said:
MS published a pretty good tutorial in its ASP.NET QuickStart :

http://asp.net/quickstart/aspnet/Default.aspx

Make sure you select the C# language in the dropdown at the top right.

Thanx a lot for that link - gave me a good start for asp.net - exactly
what I was looking for.

I am a reasonably experienced programmer but have
done very little web programming, so I am just trying
to get going here - need some pointers as to what
direction to go & what stuff to learn.

There is an existing server program and a native
client. The native client is an Win32 exe. I have to
add a web based client for the server - I cannot
make changes to the server. This is not a live
project - this is just something I am doing to get
a handle on building web based programs.

So this is what I think should be my general high
level design. - Have a middle tier program which
communicates to the server & generates
DHTML/Ajax - this generated DHTML will be
the web based client. (Ajax because I am looking
to learn some Ajax :) )

Does this sound right?

Is it possible to write a C# program which
communicates with the server & also generates
the client DHTML? Or will I need the middle
layer to be split into 2 programs - one which communicates
with the server & another which talks to the first one &
generates the DHTML?

What kind of C# program do I need?
"ASP.NET web application"
"ASP.NET web service"
"Empty Web Project"
(these the Visual studio choices?")

Do I need to use ISAPI? How, where?

Sorry if my questions sound stupid. I am very new at
this & I am not finding any information about how all
the different components come together.