ASPNETDB.MDF

GaryDean

I noticed that my asp.net project contains a 10 meg ASPNETDB.MDF database
in the App_data folder. I never intentionally put it there, have never ran
regsql.exe. Reading back on my logs it got there on March 7th the day I was
adding some web references.

How might this have gotten added to the project?

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Did you ever run the web site administrative tool? If so, it creates one.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Gary,

Have you used any of the ASP.NET 2.0's services (such as Membership,
RoleManager, Profile ....) in your ASP.NET application? For all these
services, ASP.NET 2.0 by default use a connectionstring pointed to a local
"ASPNETDB.mdf" (under App_Data folder). here is the default
connectionstring in the machine.config file:

============
<connectionStrings>
<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="data
source=.\SQLEXPRESS;Integrated
Security=SSPI;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|aspnetdb.mdf;User
Instance=true" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
============

Also, whenever your ASP.NET application has called any code that use those
services, if the runtime found that the "aspnetdb.mdf" is not existed, it
will try creating it. That's is possibly the cause why you find the
"ASPNETDB.mdf" file be created without your interactive operation.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Gary,

Does the information help you some? If you have any further question on
this, please feel free to post here.