Audio Programming

Yaj817

Hi,
I want to develop a voice chat application. How can I capture voice
over the microphone and send it over the internet to a another
computer that can hear it. If there are any books on the subject I'd
appreciate if you could tell me about them. I just want to know about
audio programming in Java basically, and get your ideas on how to send
audio over the network

Roedy Green

I want to develop a voice chat application. How can I capture voice
over the microphone and send it over the internet to a another
computer that can hear it. If there are any books on the subject I'd
appreciate if you could tell me about them. I just want to know about
audio programming in Java basically, and get your ideas on how to send
audio over the network

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jmf.html
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/sound.html

Andrew Thompson

Roedy Green wrote:
(OP)
There are a distrurbing number of 'voice chat over internet' &
'web cam over internet' threads on the Sun JMF forum that
start and end nowhere. If you manage to complete a workable
set of code to do this, the community would probably well
appreciate it becoming open source.

(Just a thought.)

Perhaps you should mention the upcoming availability of
Java Media Components (JMC). IF JMC turns out to be
10% of what they claim for it, I am guessing it will replace
JMF relatively quickly..

..but I 'take issue' with mentioning* JMF so prominently on
the sound page. I have done a variety of projects in both,
and am finding I can do most of my sound code in pure
J2SE (javax.sound.*). Having said that, I expect the OP
*will* need to dip into JMF functionality for this project, for
streaming the data at the very least.

* "The official (1) Java sound interface is called JMF. It
can play many audio and video file formats including MP3.
The catch is, the user has to download and hook up
the JMF jar files to make it work (2). ..."

1) I am not sure I agree with the use of the word 'official'
here. Although Sun still provides the JMF API and forums
to discuss it, they considered it a 'dead' API long ago, have
not developed it, and do not tend to fix bugs.

2) Although the usual way to install JMF is to use the '.exe'
installer or such - I managed to prove that JMF could be
launched** using JWS (it is quite easy, really). Unfortunately
my demo is not online at the moment.

** Either the standard, or 'power pack' (with native DLL and
so binaries) versions.

[ And I have the hide to say all this, thinking of the many
tweaks to my own pages/projects that need doing. It's
time for me to take care of (at least some) of that... ]

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

Andrew Thompson

I want to develop a voice chat application. How can I capture voice
over the microphone and send it over the internet to a another
computer that can hear it. If there are any books on the subject I'd
appreciate if you could tell me about them.

I do not know of any good books, but can recommend the
following sites/forums.

The sound pages of Matthias Pfisterer & Florian Bomers.
Good for basic understanding of how the (sometimes very
confusing) Java sound API works.
<http://www.jsresources.org/examples/>

Sun's Java Sound forum*
<http://forum.java.sun.com/forum.jspa?forumID=541>
Sun's JMF forum*
<http://forum.java.sun.com/forum.jspa?forumID=28>

* Note that while there are lot of 'clueless screamers'**
on both those forums, using the search facility can often
turn up posts with good information, or perhaps sample
code.

** 'Can somebody snd the codez to my hotmail - URGENT!!!'
style messages.
..I just want to know about
audio programming in Java basically, and get your ideas on how to send
audio over the network

For the latter, see RTP (Real-time Transport Protocol).

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

Roedy Green

Perhaps you should mention the upcoming availability of
Java Media Components (JMC). IF JMC turns out to be
10% of what they claim for it, I am guessing it will replace
JMF relatively quickly..

I do, in the second sentence. I could not find a good link to it on
the Sun site.