AudioSystem

Francois Lionet

Hello,

I would like to know, and counld not find it, the audio formats supported by
the AudioSystem class. I know it supports WAV. but that's all I know. I have
read the AudioFormat class description, and could not find any information
about the format values. For example, I have a source code (from a book)
that detects the format "AudioFormat.Encoding.ULAW". And I cant find any
information in the Javadoc.
-> Can you direct me to a valuable information about AudioSystem /
AudioFormat ?
-> Can you tell me what format is supported by AudioSystem, and how to
convert samples that are not in the correct format? Like MP3, OGG for
example...

Thanks Francois

Andrew Thompson

Francois Lionet wrote:
I would like to know, ..the audio formats supported by
the AudioSystem class.

See AudioFileFormat.Type
..I know it supports WAV. but that's all I know.

Note that for container formats, the encoding is more
important than the file type, and..
..I have
read the AudioFormat class description, and could not find any information
about the format values. For example, I have a source code (from a book)
that detects the format "AudioFormat.Encoding.ULAW".

..that is an encoding. Note that not all (for example) WAV
file types will have an encoding that is understood by Java.
Can you tell me what format is supported by AudioSystem, and how to
convert samples that are not in the correct format?

If you can decode them, you can transform them to
whatever encoding you want. But if you can decode
the format from mwithin Java, it seems pointless
changing them to another format!

Note that
1) JMF offers a wider variety of encodings.
2) Java 7might be able to hook into native media
players. Then Java will be able to play any format
supported on the system.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/