Axis1 vs. Axis2

Jan Thomä

Good afternoon,

there has been a lot of debate around here lately what framework would
be better suited for SOAP development. I have worked quite a lot with
Axis1 and never felt the urge to switch to Axis2, especially since the
new Axis2 seemed to be quite cumbersome to configure and code with if
you leave the small path that is laid out in their documentation. Speed
was never an issue so far, so even though Axis2 is considerably faster
than Axis1 (according to the Axis' team's benchmars), this was no
switching reason either.

Given this background, I'd like to hear your experience with Axis2 so
far, why did you use it and what was your experience with it. Were
there difficulties in getting certain things to run? Was the migration
easy or did you have to rewrite a lot of code? Was your switch
successful or did you change to another framework afterwards?

I don't intend to incinerate a holy war about which framework is best,
I merely would like to hear about the experience others have made with
Axis2 so far. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very
much.

Best regards,
Jan