Back button to specific spot in previous page...

Eric

Hey Guys

I'm building a website with pictures of retro video games from Japan. The
index page a simple list, and when you click on the console name it will
take you to a photo gallery that was made with Photoshop CS.

After you're done viewing the photo gallery, I want the viewer to be able to
go right back to the list at the same spot he left it at. It's a long list
and I don't want the viewer to have to spend time finding the spot he was
in. Unfortunately, the back button on the browser isn't much help since it
makes you reverse scroll through all of the pictures you have already
viewed. With 30-40 pictures of some consoles it will take a long time to do
that.

Instead I'm using a simple text link ("Back") that goes back to the index
page. But, it takes you to the top and the viewer has to scroll down and
find his spot again. So, I'd like to make the Back link take them to their
previous spot in the index page, not the top. Any tips?

I'm a self taught guy, started with FrontPage and moved up to Dreamweaver.
I want the website ot be clean and simple, no big graphics or anything else.
Just a database of pictures for quick reference. Here's the index page:
http://www.japan-games.com/Database/index.html. The only links working are
at the bottom under the XBOX section (all except the Skeleton link).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Eric said:
I'm building a website ...

After you're done viewing the photo gallery, I want the viewer to be able to
go right back to the list at the same spot he left it at. It's a long list
and I don't want the viewer to have to spend time finding the spot he was
in. Unfortunately, the back button on the browser isn't much help since it
makes you reverse scroll through all of the pictures you have already
viewed. With 30-40 pictures of some consoles it will take a long time to do
that.

Some users are smart enough to use the dropdown of the back button and
not be large.
Instead I'm using a simple text link ("Back") that goes back to the index
page. But, it takes you to the top and the viewer has to scroll down and
find his spot again. So, I'd like to make the Back link take them to their
previous spot in the index page, not the top. Any tips?

The only way to do this is to give each link on the main page a name or
id.
Then code the "Back" link on each of those 30-40 picture pages as:

Put the Back link at the top of photos page. Prominently. Maybe
construct and style it like a breadcrumb.

Learn to use external style sheets.

You have no background color assigned, so I see my default purple.

For the DOCTYPE, new pages should be Strict rather than Transitional.

Eric

Thanks for your help, but it looks like I'm just going to have to use the
"Back" link. I have links to anchors at the top of the index page so they
should be able to return to their previous spot pretty easily.

I found a good article on external style sheets for anyone else who wants it
(http://www.pageresource.com/dhtml/csstut5.htm). I'll use them in the
future. This site is actually just one long list which links to separate
web galleries. The galleries will all be the same type. So I won't need to
make any universal changes since I only have one sheet.

I'll choose a background color.

Thanks!

Frank Olieu

_Eric_ skrev | wrote | écrivit (27-05-2006 19:35):
I found a good article on...

Great! While you're at it, why don't you look for a good article on 'top
posting'? :)

Eric

Sorry, I've never really engaged in the whole top vs. bottom posting debate.
It seemed too silly to really take seriously. Good luck with your battle,
tho!

Jonathan N. Little

Eric said:
Frank Olieu said:
_Blinky the Shark_ skrev | wrote | écrivit (27-05-2006 20:33):

It says it all!

[top-posting corrected]
Sorry, I've never really engaged in the whole top vs. bottom posting debate.
It seemed too silly to really take seriously. Good luck with your battle,
tho!

Well, don't be surprised when your posts begin to get ignored...

/I know it is England, but I don't like driving on the left/

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Eric said:
Sorry, I've never really engaged in the whole top vs. bottom posting
debate. It seemed too silly to really take seriously. Good luck with
your battle, tho!

Please feel free to press the PageDown key before beginning your reply.
It's that simple. :)

Blinky the Shark

Beauregard said:
Please feel free to press the PageDown key before beginning your
reply. It's that simple. :)

Yeah, I don't recall anyone asking him for debate.