[beginner] searching a good HTML tutorial

albert

Hello,

I'm searching a good tutorial to learn HTML / XHTML.
Instead of searching in Google and wasting time reading many, can you please
advise me ?

Thanks,

Al

Andy Dingley

I'm searching a good tutorial to learn HTML / XHTML.
Instead of searching in Google and wasting time reading many, can you please
advise me ?

This is quite difficult. There are a great many tutorials around, but
most aren't very good. The hard part is avoiding the bad ones!

I like books, so I like "Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML" from
O'Reilly
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/059610197X/codesmiths-20>
It's the best tutorial I know, and it teaches good "style" as well
(this is very rare).

I also like Lie & Bos' "Cascading Style Sheets"
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0321193121/codesmiths-20>
This is a good CSS tutorial, accessible to HTML beginners too, and
remains a useful desktop reference for CSS afterwards.

For web sites, <http://htmldog.com> is the best I've seen, even though
it's nothing like the detail of the books.

<http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/cover.html> is also essential, as it's the
"horse's mouth" for the specification. Not easy reading though!

Avoid W3Schools.

albert

[...]

Thank you for your answers. I forgot to mention I needed an online resource.
I knew W3Schools already, why do you advise to avoid it ?
HTML dog seems to be what I was searching for.

Al

Andy Dingley

I knew W3Schools already, why do you advise to avoid it ?

Poorly written, too little detail to be useful. Much of it narrowly
avoids being downright "wrong" but is still vague, wooly or misleading.