Big delay starting up web application

seguso

Hi,

We have a problem with the startup delay of a VB web application.

The site is made of 31 toplevel .vb files (containing vb classes),
plus 68 pages (one .aspx and one .vb file for each page). We don't use
external dlls or webservices or any uncommon stuff. The overall weight
of .vb files is 2.52 MB.

When we change any .vb file and press F5, to start debugging, the
startup delay is about 120 seconds. If, on the other hand, we press
Ctrl-F5, the delay is about 25 seconds. This is an impediment and
hampers development.

The delay is not due to the "compilation" phase (the one where Visual
Studio fills the "output" window), which is brief, but happens at
startup: Firefox opens a new tab which stays empty for 120 seconds,
while the status bar shows the message "waiting for localhost". I
believe this corresponds to the phase called "JIT", where Common-
language code gets translated into machine code (but not only that,
otherwise what causes the difference between F5 and Ctrl-F5 ? ).
Furthermore, during this wait where Firefox shows an empty tab,
according to Windows' task-manager, the CPU is occupied at 66% by the
"devenv.exe" process, and at 33% by "WebDev.WebServer.EXE".

Rebuilding the web application from scratch, I noticed the delay is
not due to any particular page, but is the sum of many small delays.
Each time we add a new page (aspx+vb), startup time grows by a few
seconds.

This same problem happens both on Visual Studio 2005 SP1 and in Visual
Studio 2008.

A puzzling fact is that, while I always had this problem on my
machine, my colleague did not have it on his machine when he was using
VStudio 2005. The delay only seldom happened to him, but most of the
time startup was very quick. The problem began when he installed
VStudio 2008. Switching back to VS 2005, he could not reproduce the
previous situation: the delay always happens. This leads us to believe
there is some way to improve the startup time of a web application.

We are using the ASP.NET development server.

Thank you very much for any suggestion aimed at improving the startup
time after changing a vb file.

Kind regards

Maurizio

Aidy

what causes the difference between F5 and Ctrl-F5 ? ).

F5 starts in debug mode so more work is done RE dubbing symbols, attaching
processes the IDE to the running process etc
Ctrl-F5 starts without debugging so less work to do, but you can't trigger
breakpoints and step through code etc.