Browser cache in Win2000.

Darrel Hoffman

I don't know why this was changed, but it used to be you could go to
your Windows/Temporary Internet Files folder, and see in 1 folder
everything in your browser cache. Now, not only is it hidden deep
within the Documents and Settings folder*, but when you finally get to
the Temporary Internet Files folder, its contents are split between
several (I have 5 here, but I've seen other computers with far more of
them) sub-folders with non-descriptive random names like 4BW9UZAZ,
AJQBCDSN, and such. What possible reason could there be for doing this?
Just to make it more difficult to find stuff? Is it because Microshaft
decided they don't want people to be able to find files in their browser
cache? Or is there some legitimate but hopelessly obscure reason for
this stupid un-intuitive arrangement? Is there any way to make it go
back to the 1-folder method so I don't have to search multiple folders
for a file that got downloaded? (The site no longer exists, but I know
the files are there in the cache.)

*The path for my Temporary Internet Files folder is:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files
Only it's split, because there are several versions of this folder, just
changing "All Users" to any one of five different other folder names, so
not only is it split into several folders within each user, but there
are half a dozen users to go searching through, even though only 1
person ever uses this computer... It's totally ridiculous...

brucie

in post: <
<snip> Good rant.

you obviously wouldn't know a good rant if it had a jihad on your arse.

where is the:
1. swearing.
2. mention of someones mothers sexual practices.
3. scoffing at the diminutive nature of someones genitals.

without those 3 key points its just a ramble.

Neal

I don't know why this was changed, but it used to be you could go to
your Windows/Temporary Internet Files folder, and see in 1 folder
everything in your browser cache. Now, not only is it hidden deep
within the Documents and Settings folder*, but when you finally get to
the Temporary Internet Files folder, its contents are split between
several (I have 5 here, but I've seen other computers with far more of
them) sub-folders with non-descriptive random names like 4BW9UZAZ,
AJQBCDSN, and such.

Same in W98.
What possible reason could there be for doing this?
Just to make it more difficult to find stuff? Is it because Microshaft
decided they don't want people to be able to find files in their browser
cache? Or is there some legitimate but hopelessly obscure reason for
this stupid un-intuitive arrangement? Is there any way to make it go
back to the 1-folder method so I don't have to search multiple folders
for a file that got downloaded? (The site no longer exists, but I know
the files are there in the cache.)

I just Find Files and Folders. The item has the same name plus an extra
bit like [1], then the extension. So coolpic.jpg might be coolpic[1].jpg.
So I search for coolpic*.jpg, works nicely. And I search within the
Temporary Internet Files folder, including subfolders.

In your situation, search within whatever level includes all the caches.

Darrel Hoffman

I just Find Files and Folders. The item has the same name plus an
extra
bit like [1], then the extension. So coolpic.jpg might be coolpic[1].jpg.
So I search for coolpic*.jpg, works nicely. And I search within the
Temporary Internet Files folder, including subfolders.

In your situation, search within whatever level includes all the
caches.

Works if you know the name of the file, not always the case. What I
used to do was just sort the list by size, since the file I was looking
for would likely be larger than most of the rest of the stuff, and thus
float right to the top. Failing that, I could sort by Internet Address
or File Type, and go right to it that way. Of course, all of this
depends entirely on having the files all in one location. I was just
wondering if anybody knew the reason for this bizarre arrangement, and
how, if at all possible, to change it to something that makes sense...

Neal

[...]

Search within the directory that contains all the caches. Specify the type
of file you're searching for (*.html for example). Find puts all files
that match your parameters in a sortable orientation. Then you can order
by dateor size or whatever. You can even restrict the search to a
particular period of time, or a range of file sizes.