C Noob looking for open-source project

deech

Hi all,
I have experience programming in high-level languages (Java, Haskell
etc) but I'd really like to get up and running with C. I would like to
contribute to an open-source project, but I am having trouble finding
to which I can make a positive contribution - the Linux kernel, for
example, would probably be out of my league. Can anyone recommend
something more appropriate?

-deech

deech

deech ha scritto:
Hi all,
I have experience programming in high-level languages (Java, Haskell
etc) but I'd really like to get up and running with C. I would like to
contribute to an open-source project
[...] Can anyone recommend something more appropriate?

Not sure if it's appropriate or not but I'm looking for someone to share
  my project on dynamic datastructures and general utilities for C.

Being about basic stuff could be either extremely boring or a good
opportunity to focus on C stuff :)

If you want to have a look, the code is in the svn repository:http://clibutl.co.cc

R.D.

The link seems bad. It took me to a page that attempted to sell me the
domain name.

-deech

Rich Webb

Hi all,
I have experience programming in high-level languages (Java, Haskell
etc) but I'd really like to get up and running with C. I would like to
contribute to an open-source project, but I am having trouble finding
to which I can make a positive contribution - the Linux kernel, for
example, would probably be out of my league. Can anyone recommend
something more appropriate?

Look for a project that concerns something that's useful or interesting
to YOU. Hop over to sourceforge.net and enter keywords for stuff that
you do for fun, from anime to zoology, and see what pops up. There are
many orphan projects that spit out updates for a few months and then go
cold for years that could use some new blood.

Seebs

Hi all,
I have experience programming in high-level languages (Java, Haskell
etc) but I'd really like to get up and running with C. I would like to
contribute to an open-source project, but I am having trouble finding
to which I can make a positive contribution - the Linux kernel, for
example, would probably be out of my league. Can anyone recommend
something more appropriate?

I am a big fan of the roguelike games. I learned a ton of what I know
about C from hacking on omega, and I actually submitted a patch to Angband
from a C committee meeting once. :) They're usually well-written and
fairly carefully documented and maintained, and they're fun to mess with.

-s

Aatu Koskensilta

Seebs said:
I am a big fan of the roguelike games. I learned a ton of what I know
about C from hacking on omega, and I actually submitted a patch to
Angband from a C committee meeting once. :) They're usually
well-written and fairly carefully documented and maintained, and
they're fun to mess with.

C committee meetings? I can sort of imagine that.

Richard Bos

Seebs said:
I am a big fan of the roguelike games. I learned a ton of what I know
about C from hacking on omega, and I actually submitted a patch to Angband
from a C committee meeting once. :) They're usually well-written and
fairly carefully documented and maintained, and they're fun to mess with.

Just don't use NetHack for this, which, for all the fun it is as a game,
is written in pre-ANSI, K&R 1 C. And pretty messy at that.

Richard

John

Seems there is not suggestion here?

I also want to contribute to a C open project, anyone can give a hand?

Seebs

Seems there is not suggestion here?

Suggestions were made.
I also want to contribute to a C open project, anyone can give a hand?

You'll probably want to start by modifying programs for your own purposes,
then migrating on to trying to clean these modifications up so other people
might use them.

-s