C++ Primer Front Cover?

Victor Bazarov

I am aware my question is heavily off-topic, but I just can not get
it out of my mind:

What is that thing on the front cover of the C++ Primer (by Lippman
et al.) ? Animal bones?

Looks to me like two splashes (of some white liquid still) in the
process of being made to resemble the number 11.
I Hope somebody can tell. Warm Regards and thanks in advance, m.

Ref:
http://cache1.bdcdn.net/assets/images/book/large/9780/3217/9780321714114.jpg

gwowen

Looks to me like two splashes (of some white liquid still) in the
process of being made to resemble the number 11.

I agree. They look like paint smears to me.

Leandro

It looks like milk.

Em segunda-feira, 30 de setembro de 2013 09h43min14s UTC-3, gwowen escreveu:

osmium

Drew Lawson said:
Following that lead, Google Images shows that the cover of the 4th
edition featured a hand holding a paint roller.

That's sad, cleverness trumps accuracy. I used to work with a guy who, when
he meant primer (the book) actually said primer (the paint). Every time he
did this it was like someone had dragged their fingernails across a black
board. The same guy pronounced august (esteemed person) as August (the
month).

Victor Bazarov

That's sad, cleverness trumps accuracy. I used to work with a guy who, when
he meant primer (the book) actually said primer (the paint). Every time he
did this it was like someone had dragged their fingernails across a black
board. The same guy pronounced august (esteemed person) as August (the
month).

Seems that only in US 'primer' has two different pronunciations...

guinness.tony

That's sad, cleverness trumps accuracy. I used to work with a guy who, when
he meant primer (the book) actually said primer (the paint). Every time he
did this it was like someone had dragged their fingernails across a black
board. The same guy pronounced august (esteemed person) as August (the
month).

How, exactly, are "primer (the book)" and "primer (the paint)" pronounced differently? They are the same word, with the same meaning (a foundation, upon which useful works can be made).

gwowen

In my parts of the US, it has one pronunciation (long-I).
I've heard the short-I (prim-er) for an introductory text, but
thought it was from the UK. Maybe it is regional in the US.

Never heard anything but "Pry Murr" in the UK, in any context.

osmium

How, exactly, are "primer (the book)" and "primer (the paint)" pronounced
differently? They are the same word, with the same meaning (a foundation,
upon which useful works can be made).

If I had a pencil I would draw a bar over the i in the paint and a cup over
the i in the book. You might also try typing pronounce primer as a target in
google. Google is becoming very _Ask Jarvis_ like.

It had never occurred to me that they were from the same root! Thanks for
that. It also astonishes me that there are parts of the world where the two
words are pronounced the same. FWIW the guy I mentioned grew up a few
hundred miles from where I grew up.

Stefan Ram

In some geographic locations the word for the book would
sound like 'prim' not 'prime'.

I tought guinness' question was about the word »primer«,
than »primer«.

Moreover, as English is not a pronunciation language like
IPA, one cannot write »prime« in English to convey a pronunciation,
because readers may pronounce it differently. A pronunciation
language, like IPA, should better be used for this purpose.

The usual pronunciation of »primer« is <'praIm@>.
The usual pronunciation of »prime« is <praIm>.
The usual pronunciation of »prim« is <prIm>.

(ASCII IPA, »Kirshenbaum«)

gwowen

If I had a pencil I would draw a bar over the i in the paint and a cup over
the i in the book. You might also try typing pronounce primer as a target in
google. Google is becoming very _Ask Jarvis_ like.

It had never occurred to me that they were from the same root! Thanks for
that.

They are from the same stem originally ("prime" = first) in Latin, but Google tells me that "primer" the book has come via "primarius", being a childs first book of prayers.

(Of course, if you think there's only pronounciation of "prime", I suggest you pop over to you local cycling clubs Crit race - where you'll hear the spot Prime prizes called "Preems".)

Lat Pan

在 2013å¹´9月30日星期一UTC+8上åˆ8æ—¶41分08秒,Michal Idziorek写é“:
Hi everyone,

I am aware my question is heavily off-topic, but I just can not get it out of my mind:

What is that thing on the front cover of the C++ Primer (by Lippman et al..) ?

Animal bones?

I Hope somebody can tell.

Warm Regards and thanks in advance,

m.

Ref: http://cache1.bdcdn.net/assets/images/book/large/9780/3217/9780321714114.jpg

C++ primer 5 relative to 4 adds some elements of C++11, C++11 is the latestC++ standard, so the book cover is a liquid style "11".

Chris M. Thomasson

"Michal Idziorek" wrote in message
Hi everyone,
I am aware my question is heavily off-topic, but I just can not get it out
of my mind:
What is that thing on the front cover of the C++ Primer (by Lippman et
al.) ?
Animal bones?
I Hope somebody can tell.
Warm Regards and thanks in advance,
m.

Kind of looks like stretched out strange attractors.