C Unleashed

buda

I'm thinking of buying the C Unleashed book and am wondering whether or not
it is Standard conforming (I understand that it can't be up to the new
Standard since it was published before the C99 Standard was - so what I'm
asking is is it C90 conforming). I've read somewhere that it's recommended
with reservations so I just want to check with you guys before buying it :)
(I'm not in a position to browse the book myself, since no bookstore in my
country actually holds it, and I have to order it which takes about a month)

Christian Staudenmayer

I'm thinking of buying the C Unleashed book and am wondering whether or not
it is Standard conforming (I understand that it can't be up to the new
Standard since it was published before the C99 Standard was - so what I'm
asking is is it C90 conforming). I've read somewhere that it's recommended
with reservations so I just want to check with you guys before buying it :)
(I'm not in a position to browse the book myself, since no bookstore in my
country actually holds it, and I have to order it which takes about a month)

I am in the same IRC-channel as one of the main authors of the book. Believe me, he's one of the people worried the most about conforming to the standard as closely as possibly. (I mean that in a positive way.)
I Hope that helps.

Greetings, Chris.

buda

Christian Staudenmayer said:
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 13:35:26 +0100
I am in the same IRC-channel as one of the main authors of the book.
Believe me, he's one of the people worried the most about conforming to the
standard as closely as possibly. (I mean that in a positive way.)

It can't be a negative characteristic :) Thanks, it does help.

Ben Pfaff

buda said:
I'm thinking of buying the C Unleashed book and am wondering whether or not
it is Standard conforming (I understand that it can't be up to the new
Standard since it was published before the C99 Standard was - so what I'm
asking is is it C90 conforming). I've read somewhere that it's recommended
with reservations so I just want to check with you guys before buying it :)
(I'm not in a position to browse the book myself, since no bookstore in my
country actually holds it, and I have to order it which takes about a month)

A lot of the authors are regulars here and I assure you that
they're pretty careful about standard conformance. Also, the
book came out in 2001, well after C99 was published, and thus
much of the code is indeed intended to conform to C99, although
I'm sure it depends on the author in question.

(I am one of the authors but I don't receive royalties on sales.)

Christopher Benson-Manica

Ben Pfaff said:
(I am one of the authors but I don't receive royalties on sales.)

Well, if you're ever in the Atlanta area, I'll buy you a beer to make
up for it :)

Lawrence Kirby

Believe me, he's one of the people worried the most about conforming to the
standard as closely as possibly. (I mean that in a positive way.)

It can't be a negative characteristic :) Thanks, it does help.

One of the nice things is discovering how much you CAN do in standard C,
and do it clearly and efficiently.

Lawrence