Calling a webservice from a page

Shane Bush

All

I'm desperately looking for a way to call a webservice that do not give me
401: Permission denied error. Here's my issue. I created a webpage on my
local hard drive to call a webservice on SOMEDOMAIN.COM, calls succeeded.
Now, I published the same webpage to my host, MYHOST.COM and the calls gave
me a permission denied error. The calls to the webservice is an anonymous
call and does not need any password. Why does it fail?

I tried to look this up in numerous books and ALL books so far show samples
of ASP.NET page calling webservice from http://localhost. Of course there
isn't going to be a problem. Is there a more real world reference that I can
look up that simply show/explain how to call a webservice from a page on one
domain to another. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

CESAR DE LA TORRE [MVP]

You shouldn’t have any problem to do it from a remote machine. It looks like
a security configuration problem.
Just take a look to IIS Virtual directory configuration, try with anonymous
access first. Also, take a look to NTFS permissions from within the directory
properties (where you have your .asmx files) and make sure that the
'anonymous account' (like ASPNET account) has read permissions.
--
CESAR DE LA TORRE
Software Architect

Renacimiento
[Microsoft GOLD Certified Partner]

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for Renacimiento's input.

Hi Shane,

As for the "Access denied" error, I think Renacimiento is suggestion on
checking the IIS security setting is reasonable. Generally if your
webservice is about to be accessed by external users through INternet , we
should allow anomymous accessing in IIS virtual dir's directory setting.
Also, you can check the IIS log on that webservice's server machine to see
whether there're any such authentication log entries. In addition, would
you provide us the clientside webservice calling code? Since you mentienod
that you can also run it from local hard disk, are you using client script
to invoke the webservice?

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support