can cassini be configured to run in the root?

Tim_Mac

hi,
for various reasons (navigational, relative paths etc.) i want the web
site to always run from a root directory, i.e. http://localhost:3038/
and not http://localhost:3093/Virtual/
can cassini be configured to always run from the root? i know you can
launch it from command line, with /vpath:/ but that doesn't sound like
it will integrate with VS very easily.

thanks for any tips
tim

Scott Allen

You should be able to right click the web project, go to properties ->
Start Options. Use a combination of 'start external program' and use
custom server to pull it off..

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for Scott's informative suggestion.

Hi Tim,

Since the VS2005 IDE always open site from a certain folder (when using
file system mode...), it will always assume the virtual path to start from
that folder path.......
As Scott has mentioned, we can use the VS 2005 web project "startup
options" to change the "use default server" to "use custom server" and
specify the correct BASE URL.....

So for your scenario, you can launch the WebDev.WebServer.exe through
command line first and in VS2005 IDE, select web site node in solution
explorer, right click and choose "Property pages", in the popup dialog:

select "start options" in left panel, and in the right panel, change the
default "use default webserver" to "use custom server"....

and in the "BASE Url" textbox, input the virtual path in our custom server
(launched from command line earilier.....) .e.g:

http://localhost:8088/

Then, we can specify the current page and use F5 or ctrl+F5 to debug or run
the web site through our external configured virtual server...

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security