Can not drag controls onto the design view of a page

AAaron123

I created a site by taking an old version of a site and manually updating
it.

Somehow I did something so that I can not drag controls onto the design view
of a page.

If I try to, when the cursor enters the page it turns into the circle with a
line in it to indicate I can't drop there.

However, I can drop into the source view so that is how I've been working.

I'm missing a lot of capability so I like to remedy this.

Another symptom is that the design view shows only the master page.

Do you have any idea at all what might be the problem?

Anything at all that I can try would be appreciated.

Thanks

AAaron123

This is long but it boils down to a simple question of where is it OK to
place a ContentPlaceHolder .

I don't know if anyone has enough insight into the working of asp.net so
that the following means something to him I know that I don't know what to
make of it. (relates to: design view of a content page shows only the
master page - no content page controls)

I take a solution that when I open a page in solution mode the page shows as
it should - that is combined with the master page. (My pages when so opened
in my solution only show the master page - the aspx file's controls do not
show.)

I copy an .aspx and the .aspx.vb page from the my solution into the
working solution and when I open in design mode I see the master page
modified with the open page's controls.

I copy an .aspx and the .aspx.vb page from the working solution into my
solution and when I open in design mode I see only the master page. So it
appears it is not the page itself but something in my solution that is the
problem.

I compare the two solutions.

We both have:
<%@ Page Language="VB" MasterPageFile="~/Main.master" Title="Your Name Here
| Resume"

CodeFile="Resume.aspx.vb" Inherits="Resume_aspx" %>

<asp:content id="Content1" contentplaceholderid="Main" runat="server">

I have:
<form id="form2" runat="server">

..snip

<asp:Table ID="TableMain" runat="server" Style="border: Maroon 9px Ridge;">

..snip
<asp:TableRow runat="server" ID="TableRow8">

<asp:TableCell runat="server" ID="TableCellR8C1">

<asp:ContentPlaceHolder ID="Main" runat="server" />

</asp:TableCell>

</asp:TableRow>

and

It has:

<form id="form1" runat="server">

..snip

<asp:contentplaceholder id="Main" runat="server" />

Then:

I cut the ContentPlaceHolder out of my file and paste it right after the
<form and it worked OK.

Can't have ContentPlaceHolder in a table cell?

If it is ok to have it in a table cell can you see what I have wrong?

If you got this far thanks already!