Classic ASP vs .Net - validation

Yitzak

Hi

I did my first web site/app recently using asp. Although I found the
language easy, the end result compared to a typical client/server app
v.messy. My inexperience probably contributed to messy code. I found
the client side scripting for validation etc very tricky and time
consuming.

I see the validation is built in to the ASP.net controls and this
makes me think of taking up .NET. I read it can do server side
validation, how can it validate user imputs once page has been
rendered?

Does .NET generate the client side script for all the different
browsers? So when programming they look like say VB controls but from
the browser end its just normal HTML with javascript validation/event
driven code? without having to install/download special stuff on the
clients like the ActiveX model.

Any example web sites I can see web pages .NET generates? and compare
in IE/Mozilla

Thanks

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Yitzak said:
Hi

I did my first web site/app recently using asp. Although I found the
language easy, the end result compared to a typical client/server app
v.messy. My inexperience probably contributed to messy code. I found
the client side scripting for validation etc very tricky and time
consuming.

I see the validation is built in to the ASP.net controls and this
makes me think of taking up .NET. I read it can do server side
validation, how can it validate user imputs once page has been
rendered?

It emits clients side script, if you have client side validation on. You
should validate on both sides, however, to avoid people hacking you to
change those values.
Does .NET generate the client side script for all the different
browsers? So when programming they look like say VB controls but from
the browser end its just normal HTML with javascript validation/event
driven code? without having to install/download special stuff on the
clients like the ActiveX model.

It uses JavaScript and the validation is basic enough it should work in all
browsers. The exception is the custom validator, which you write the
JavaScript for.
Any example web sites I can see web pages .NET generates? and compare
in IE/Mozilla

Try this:
http://quickstarts.asp.net/QuickStartv20/aspnet/doc/ctrlref/validation/default.aspx