cleaner alternative for cast

Lars Enderin

Jerry said:
It does.

Holy shit, he's right! I just performed the same test, finding a JSH
troll-post somewhere and down-voting it madly. It now has something
like 300 users, one star.

Time to complain to Google about yet another GG bug, methinks.

That explains why I've sometimes seen one of mine show one star, 250
users or some such shit. Obviously one of the bigger losers around
here knows about this particular bit of brokenness, and has exploited
it in a personal vendetta against me. I have a particular name in
mind, who has hassled me a lot in the past and who posted for a while
using GG, but I'm not going to actually name it, as he'll just pop up
instantly to flame me and deny everything, the stalker.
Too bad that you didn't know about this particular Google brokenness
when you earlier used your numerous identities to improve your own
ratings and down-rate those of your detractors! You could have achieved
much more spectacular figures then.
But you usually stubbornly deny that Google could be responsible for
what you call "misquotations", so how could you have guessed that it was
so vulnerable? I don't see any big losers around here except you in your
various guises, by the way.

Nebulous

[snip]

NO FEEDBACK LOOPS!
That explains why I've sometimes seen one of mine show one star, 250
users or some such shit. Obviously one of the bigger losers around
here knows about this particular bit of brokenness, and has exploited
it in a personal vendetta against me. I have a particular name in
mind, who has hassled me a lot in the past and who posted for a while
using GG, but I'm not going to actually name it, as he'll just pop up
instantly to flame me and deny everything, the stalker.

Too bad that you didn't know about this particular Google brokenness
when you earlier [numerous false accusations and other vicious insults
deleted, including a libelous accusation of Google-hacking]

No, you're the liar and the loser. (Not to mention a stalker.)

None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me are at
all true.

Lothar Kimmeringer

Mike said:
In fact, given the way PriorityQueue is declared in JDK 1.5, which is

public class PriorityQueue<E> extends AbstractQueue<E> implements
Serializable

there will only be one class in the array, and it will be
Serializable. getInterfaces() doesn't return interfaces implemented
by superclasses.

And you are sure that this will be valid forever?

Regards, Lothar
--
Lothar Kimmeringer E-Mail: (e-mail address removed)

questions!

Mike Schilling

Lothar said:
And you are sure that this will be valid forever?

Of course; that's why I specifically said "given the way PriorityQueue
is declared in JDK 1.5".

blue indigo

Jerry said:
Google Groups: [implied serious insults deleted]

No, you're the spammer and the troll.

None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me are at
all true.

*mutters something about Eternal September.*

If you don't reply to him, I don't see him.

Maybe we should petition Google to include the first two octets of the
poster's IP address in the message-IDs of their messages, say by making
the final four characters before the ".googlegroups.com" be these octets
represented in hex. Then we could all killfile:

- All messages from Google Groups from the twisted one.
- All replies, by looking for the same message-ID suffix not just in
the message-ID header but also in the references header.

(Petitioning newsservers to include NNTP-Posting-Host: in XOVER data would
only help filter the former. So would his stopping creating new google
groups accounts.)

(I checked. Currently Google Groups message-IDs bear no obvious
relationship to the NNTP-Posting-Host IP in the same message. In
particular, one of Twisted's posts I'd saved for some reason has
NNTP-Posting-Host 76.64.155.29, in hex 4C.40.9B.1D, and its message-ID has
none of 4C, 40, 9B, 1D, 76, 64, 155, or 29 in it as substrings.)

He'll reply to this post to say "no feedback loops" and "insults
deleted" and "none of the nasty things" I'm sure. It's probably best not
to continue this discussion. Emailing Google to suggest these message-ID
changes is the best response.

blue indigo

Jerry Gerrone wrote:
[snip]

+----------+
| PLEASE |
| DO NOT |
| FEED THE |
| TROLLS |
+----------+
| |
| |
.\|.||/..

It's also best not to make serious allegations you can't prove, even about
him. Perhaps especially about him. I wouldn't put it past him to actually
hire a lawyer and start making real trouble, given an excuse.

Rather, just ignore him. He goes away when ignored. They always do.

Joshua Cranmer

blue said:
(Petitioning newsservers to include NNTP-Posting-Host: in XOVER data would
only help filter the former. So would his stopping creating new google
groups accounts.)

Your newsreader appears to be Pan, which should be able to filter on
other headers than the XOVER ones via XHDR calls.
He'll reply to this post to say "no feedback loops" and "insults
deleted" and "none of the nasty things" I'm sure. It's probably best not
to continue this discussion. Emailing Google to suggest these message-ID
changes is the best response.

Google is fully aware that their GG service is being used for actual
spam but has taken absolutely no action to try and quench it.

Martin Gregorie

Your newsreader appears to be Pan, which should be able to filter on
other headers than the XOVER ones via XHDR calls.
Its 'Filter by Author' works well enough for me.
Google is fully aware that their GG service is being used for actual
spam but has taken absolutely no action to try and quench it.
Their published motto may be 'do no evil', but their internal,
implemented form is 'ignore evil doers'.

Lothar Kimmeringer

Mike said:
Of course; that's why I specifically said "given the way PriorityQueue
is declared in JDK 1.5".

And you can be sure that there will never be a change in future
versions of PriorityQueue, i.e. something similar that happened
to java.util.Vector or java.util.Hashmap?

Regards, Lothar
--

Lothar said:
And you can be sure that there will never be a change in future
versions of PriorityQueue, i.e. something similar that happened
to java.util.Vector or java.util.Hashmap?

I can that see sarcasm isn't working. Let's try being painfully
explicit.

1. Of course it might change in the future.. Everyone knows that.
2. In particular, I know that.
3. Because I know that, I prefaced my remarks with "given the way
PriorityQueue is declared in JDK 1.5"
4. Because I made my remarks specific to a single release of Java,
your question "And you are sure that this will be valid forever?" is
silly and insulting.

Lew

blue said:
It's also best not to make serious allegations you can't prove, even about
him. Perhaps especially about him. I wouldn't put it past him to actually
hire a lawyer and start making real trouble, given an excuse.

What could he sue for? Libel? That would require saying that he is one of
the putative identities, which he denies. Ergo, we are not speaking of him,
therefore not harming his reputation. Ergo, no tort.

Whoever "he" is. I'm sure I don't know.

Lothar Kimmeringer

Mike said:
I can that see sarcasm isn't working. Let's try being painfully
explicit.

1. Of course it might change in the future.. Everyone knows that.
2. In particular, I know that.
3. Because I know that, I prefaced my remarks with "given the way
PriorityQueue is declared in JDK 1.5"

Nice try. You gave that answer to the question

so for somebody, who doesn't know everything in advance, might
come to the conclusion that using this kind of "klunky" solution
is a valid way. That way he/she implemented a "time-bomb" exploding
the moment it's compiled with a newer version of Java.

I'm curious if that person meets you in real life and you told
him/her "Hey, I prefaced my remarks with 'given the way
PriorityQueue is declared in JDK 1.5'" what will happen. That
you get an answer "Oh, I see! Have a nice day then" can be seen
as least likely in my eyes.
4. Because I made my remarks specific to a single release of Java,
your question "And you are sure that this will be valid forever?" is
silly and insulting.

Sorry, but leading people to wrong directions and being sniffy,
when getting feedback about that, is simply your personal problem.

Regards, Lothar
--

Lothar said:
Nice try. You gave that answer to the question

And he replied that he wasn't speaking of "always" but of a particular
version.
so for somebody, who doesn't know everything in advance, might
come to the conclusion that using this kind of "klunky" solution
is a valid way. That way he/she implemented a "time-bomb" exploding
the moment it's compiled with a newer version of Java.

Which would violate the premise that Mike explicitly set, and
carefully explained.
I'm curious if that person meets you in real life and you told
him/her "Hey, I prefaced my remarks with 'given the way
PriorityQueue is declared in JDK 1.5'" what will happen. That
you get an answer "Oh, I see! Have a nice day then" can be seen
as least likely in my eyes.

Huh? You asked what if future versions changed the behavior. He
answered (twice) that he was speaking only of one current version.
That's directly relevant.

Mike:
Lothar said:
Sorry, but leading people to wrong directions and being sniffy,
when getting feedback about that, is simply your personal problem.

If by "sniffy" you mean "snippy",it's not Mike who's doing this. You
asked if he accounted for future behavior. He replied that he was
speaking of a particular version only. You asked again if he
accounted for future behavior. He replied again, much more carefully,
that he was speaking of a particular version. That seemed pretty
clear - he doesn't need to predict how future versions will work if
he's speaking only of a particular version, as he did, and told you
twice more that he was. Now you are making nasty /ad hominem/ remarks
as if he hadn't replied directly and cogently to your question.

Andreas Leitgeb

...>>> "given the way PriorityQueue is declared in JDK 1.5"

I think some of the current turmoil comes from connotations of
"declared" in that statement.

I for myself (not being an english native speaker) understand this
particular choice of "declared" that it was about a contract to
be held also by future versions. Even if it wasn't meant that way
by the one who wrote it, it seems as if at least two persons
(Lothar and me) misunderstood it the same way.

If the phrase had been "... is implemented in JDK 1.5", then it
would have been free of any "contract"-connotations and clearer
that specifically 1.5 was meant.

Since the question of whether some human-language statement X
implies some other statement Y (or not) is very unlikely to ever
lead to agreement, and since the further flames really just boil
down to whether implication Y (namely existence of an actual
contract for the implements-list) was really made or not and
whether it therefore needed further clarification or not, I ask
you all three to just let this subthread die.

I don't think any of the participants to be Trolls, and thus
don't consider myself feeding the Trolls here. I hope you don't
prove me wrong.

Mike Schilling

Andreas said:
I think some of the current turmoil comes from connotations of
"declared" in that statement.

I for myself (not being an english native speaker) understand this
particular choice of "declared" that it was about a contract to
be held also by future versions. Even if it wasn't meant that way
by the one who wrote it, it seems as if at least two persons
(Lothar and me) misunderstood it the same way.

I meant "declared" in the sense of the class declaration. This is the
same sense used by the java.lang.Class methods called
getDeclaredField() and getDeclaredMethod(). I think that

"class A is declared to implement interfaces B and C"

pretty unambiguously means that the class declaration looks like

class A implements B, C
I don't think any of the participants to be Trolls, and thus
don't consider myself feeding the Trolls here. I hope you don't
prove me wrong.

I feel differently. Anyway, I'm done here.

blue indigo

Your newsreader appears to be Pan, which should be able to filter on
other headers than the XOVER ones via XHDR calls.

I did not know this about pan. Thanks.
Google is fully aware that their GG service is being used for actual
spam but has taken absolutely no action to try and quench it.

That could change, at the whim of internal management. Or a big enough
volume of requests for ways to better filter Google-originated posts might
garner some attention, especially given that this suggested action isn't
as boat-rocking as "kick off some of your users".

blue indigo

What could he sue for? Libel? That would require saying that he is one of
the putative identities, which he denies.

I had been referring to Lars saying "you earlier ... " in a followup to a
Twisted post, where he seemed to be saying things that might be actionable
if they are untrue, and which seem difficult to prove even if they are.
Those things seemed to me to clearly be referring to Twisted,
independently of the long-running dispute as to what his real name is.

More generally, Lars is showing unfortunate troll-feeding tendencies.

I should probably stop posting anything to/about Twisted myself.

Joe Attardi

I have a particular name in
mind, who has hassled me a lot in the past and who posted for a while
using GG, but I'm not going to actually name it, as he'll just pop up
instantly to flame me and deny everything, the stalker.

So this is Twisted/Paul Derbyshire's latest "nom de plume"?
It's so sweet of you to still think about me, dear Twisted, but I am a
changed man.

In your earlier trolling, I fed you so much you fattened up quite
nicely. No more!

Jerry Gerrone

On Tue, 5649 Sep 1993 04:44:16 -0800, Joshua Cranmer wrote:
[snip]

NO FEEDBACK LOOPS!
Google Groups: [implied serious insults deleted]
No, you're the spammer and the troll.
None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me are at
all true.
[implied insult deleted]

[implied insults deleted]

No. None of the nasty things that either of you have said or implied
about me are at all true.

Jerry Gerrone

On Tue, 5649 Sep 1993 13:41:26 +0000, Lars Enderin wrote:
[snip]

NO FEEDBACK LOOPS!
[insult deleted]

No, you're the troll.

None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me are at
all true.
It's also best not to make serious allegations you can't prove,

Ah, one piece of *good* advice. Lars, take note.
[implied insults deleted]

No. None of the nasty things that you have said or implied about me
are at all true.