    for a none profit org. PHP and MySQL hosting is very affordable. My next
    question would be: is it worth the time to adopt ASP.NET technology just to
    find out that ISP's will force you to pay more for a ASP.NET / SQL
    Lero, Aug 13, 2006

  2. For just a bit more than $15 a month I know of at least one hosting company
    that will give you SQL Server 2005, ASP.NET 2.0, and plenty of space and
    bandwidth. CrystalTech does this, and I bet there are at least a couple of
    Moral of the story: choose your hosting provider carefully.

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, Aug 13, 2006

  3. Lero

    Mark Rae Guest

    Mark Rae, Aug 13, 2006
  4. Lero

    sloan Guest

    sloan, Aug 13, 2006
  5. Lero

    Lero Guest

    Ok let see
    100Mb Total space
    2000Mb bandwidth
    1 MS SQL database
    for 7 dollars.
    The club starter kit req. 2 MS db's.
    Not a good deal
    I can have 3000 Mb 50Gb transfer with out MS SQL for 4.00 dollars
    Lero, Aug 14, 2006
  6. Lero,
    Sure you can. In fact, you can probably find hosting for free. But if your
    club gets a lot of member, you aren't going to have much of a web site,
    performance - wise with Access. Even Microsoft, by making the SQLExpress the
    default Membership etc. provider in VS 2005 (as opposed to MSAccess which was
    the one in the betas), is telling you its not a good idea.
    You get what you pay for my friend.
    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, Aug 14, 2006
  7. Lero

    Lero Guest

    Hi Peter,
    you have a nice website with all those hints about SQL Server.
    Money wise I would just replicate The Club Starter Kit in PHP since I can
    get PHP and MySQL hosting for 2.99 and for the end user performance would
    not be a big difference as ASP.NET
    Then why ODBC Access is free and MS SQL - MySQL on windows server has to be
    a paid service, is there a flap in the windows servers??
    Lero, Aug 14, 2006
  8. re:
    You should look at places like :
    who offer both ASP.NET and MySQL starting at $4.

    It should be almost trivial to export the table structure to a sql script
    which MySQL can use to create the required database.

    Here's a MySQL Membership provider you can use/adapt :

    If you're only going to save $1 a month, how long will it
    take you to recuperate your investment in programming time ?
    Juan T. Llibre, Aug 14, 2006