Club starter kit with forum?

Steven Spits

Hi,

I need to build a website for a club. Cornerstones are upcomming events &
photo albums of past events. So the club starter kit seems to be a good
website to start with.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/vwd/starterkit/#club

However, I would also need a forum. I'm not sure if there's a starter kit
with a forum. I've seen it in DotNetNuke, but it seems to be way too complex
for what I need.

What are my options?

Steven

- - -

Juan T. Llibre

re:
How does this compare to DotNetNuke?

DotNetNuke has many more modules available,
but many consider it to be overkill for small operations.

Performance-wise, Community Server has an advantage,
as it was built using recommended "best practices" all the way.

Rob Howard and Scott Watermasyk, among others who contribute to CS, are code wizards!

Steven Spits

Juan T. Llibre said:
Performance-wise, Community Server has an advantage,
as it was built using recommended "best practices" all the way.

I looked into CS the last hour, and I also browsed some of your old posts on
google. Since you seem to know a lot about CS, would you mind some more
questions before I start downloading & installing CS?

If I understood it correctly, by downloading the SDK, I get the full source?
And it's in C#?

CS doesn't seem to have an "events" module like the club starter kit. I do
need one. It's something I could easily write myself, but how difficult is
it to include it in CS? Stuff like getting the authenticated user, link to a
forum about the event, etc... How long would you estimate it will take to
get a good overview of how CS works internally (source-wise)?

CS is not a "template" product like the starter kits, and new versions are
created. So it's probably unwise to modify the source, since a new version
would overwrite your changes? What do most people do? Modify the source and
stick to the version they started with? Use partial classes to extend
functionality?

On the features page, I read CS is multilingual. Not sure if they mean
source or user. In the future, the site should be user bilingual. Can CS do
this?

Thank you for your time, I appreciate it!

Steven

- - -