  1. Lero

    Lero Guest

    how could I use MS access database insted of SQL server?
    Lero, Aug 12, 2006

  2. Recommendation: Don't do it. SQLExpress is free, and that's the full SQL
    SERVER 2005 engine. Let MSAccess die a natural death, please!
    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, Aug 12, 2006

  3. Not all ISPs support SQL Express, so some people are forced to use Access.
    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Aug 12, 2006
  4. Ken,
    This is true. However, the OP did not post anything to infer that an ISP /
    Hoster was even involved. In fact, VS 2005 ships by default with the
    SQLEXPRESS providers, MS Acccess is no longer used. My point is, lots of
    people are still hung up on Access from the "old days" and in most cases,
    they need to be encouraged to graduate to the next level.

    Co-founder, developer portal:
    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, Aug 12, 2006
  5. re:
    True, although there's an Access Providers Starter Kit :

    It's used a lot more than your statement indicates, Peter,
    particularly at the beginner developer level who has low traffic sites.

    I wouldn't say "hung up", but -maybe- "still using", but that's not all that bad.

    I remember having a finely tuned website which used Access and could
    serve over 50 concurrent requests without breaking a sweat.

    Most small sites only get 2-10 concurrent requests.

    I heartily agree with that, however we should not be locking them out.
    "Encouraging" should mean just that : encouraging, not obliging.

    btw, with the above linked Access Providers Toolkit, plus a sql-to-Access tool, found at
    it shouldn't be too hard to use an Access database, instead of SQL Express 2005,
    if there's unsurmountable constraints which prevent the use of SQL Express 2005.

    Finally, I agree that SQL Server 2005 is the way to go.
    I just like all options to be available and not making developers upgrade obligatorily.

    best regards,
    Juan T. Llibre, Aug 13, 2006
  6. Lero

    Lero Guest

    Hi Peter,
    I know SQL server is the way to go but I feel rip by my ISP when they give
    me 3Gb of storage without MS SQL Server support, unless I pay $15 dollars a
    month more, on the other hand I can use Access with ODBC for free.
    I'm trying to port my existing PHP website to ASP.NET. Since this website is
    for a none profit org. PHP and MySQL hosting is very affordable. My next
    question would be: is it worth the time to adopt ASP.NET technology just to
    find out that ISP's will force you to pay more for a ASP.NET / SQL

    the OP did not post anything to infer that an ISP /
    Lero, Aug 13, 2006