Club starter kit with MS Access?

Guest

Recommendation: Don't do it. SQLExpress is free, and that's the full SQL
SERVER 2005 engine. Let MSAccess die a natural death, please!
Peter

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Not all ISPs support SQL Express, so some people are forced to use Access.

Guest

Ken,
This is true. However, the OP did not post anything to infer that an ISP /
Hoster was even involved. In fact, VS 2005 ships by default with the
SQLEXPRESS providers, MS Acccess is no longer used. My point is, lots of
people are still hung up on Access from the "old days" and in most cases,
they need to be encouraged to graduate to the next level.
Peter

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
UnBlog:
http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com

Juan T. Llibre

re:
In fact, VS 2005 ships by default with the SQLEXPRESS providers

True, although there's an Access Providers Starter Kit :
http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/downloads/providers/

re:
MS Acccess is no longer used.

It's used a lot more than your statement indicates, Peter,
particularly at the beginner developer level who has low traffic sites.

re:
My point is, lots of people are still hung up on Access from the "old days"

I wouldn't say "hung up", but -maybe- "still using", but that's not all that bad.

I remember having a finely tuned website which used Access and could
serve over 50 concurrent requests without breaking a sweat.

Most small sites only get 2-10 concurrent requests.

re:
in most cases, they need to be encouraged to graduate to the next level.

I heartily agree with that, however we should not be locking them out.
"Encouraging" should mean just that : encouraging, not obliging.

btw, with the above linked Access Providers Toolkit, plus a sql-to-Access tool, found at
http://www.google.com/search?num=20&hl=en&lr=lang_en&q=sql-to-access
it shouldn't be too hard to use an Access database, instead of SQL Express 2005,
if there's unsurmountable constraints which prevent the use of SQL Express 2005.

Finally, I agree that SQL Server 2005 is the way to go.
I just like all options to be available and not making developers upgrade obligatorily.

best regards,

Lero

Hi Peter,
I know SQL server is the way to go but I feel rip by my ISP when they give
me 3Gb of storage without MS SQL Server support, unless I pay $15 dollars a
month more, on the other hand I can use Access with ODBC for free.
I'm trying to port my existing PHP website to ASP.NET. Since this website is
for a none profit org. PHP and MySQL hosting is very affordable. My next
question would be: is it worth the time to adopt ASP.NET technology just to
find out that ISP's will force you to pay more for a ASP.NET / SQL
package??????

the OP did not post anything to infer that an ISP /